Main Menu

Sapphire & Steel

Started by Grant Goggans, 21 March, 2006, 08:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Gadzooks!   All this talk of S&S has made me dig out my box set for another spin.  Assignment 4 first methinks Dobbin!

Spikes

Now Sapphire and Steel was all about freaky time related shenanigans, and i think some of it has rubbed off onto this thread itself.
Check out the date for the DrJomster quote i used in a previous post. Creepy.

Quote from: DrJomster on 19 April, 1974, 12:45:52 AM
This series is brilliantly creepy and paced so differently to anything else I've seen. No wonder I remember it from when it was first on. 

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 17 December, 2012, 10:40:35 PM
Gadzooks!   All this talk of S&S has made me dig out my box set for another spin.  Assignment 4 first methinks Dobbin!

I did the same yesterday and watched Assignment 1. Good stuff.

qtwerk

Quote from: vzzbux on 17 December, 2012, 10:28:40 PM
For me Sappire and Steel are a peripheron.
I remember watching them but don't remember much about the show. The bit that sticks out for me was the WWI soldier whistling 'Pack up your Troubles' and being pinned in the barbed wire.

V

I was too young to really understand what was going on, but I do remember that episode. And some ....thing that had a big, blank oval instead of a face.

Creeeeeepy

Alien Goodness

I loved this programme. It was creepy in a clever imaginative way. Instead of scaring you with blood and gore, it would use things like the sound of a heart beating in the walls and a nursery rhyme. Watching it again on DVD does make the programme show its age. My other criticism is that sapphire and steel were never elements...

DrJomster

You get the lot on amazon UK for just £22. Bargain!!!

I'm watching assignment 5 at the moment. Wonderful stuff.

Buy this now, good people! It's quality and there's nothing else out there. The lead actors are brilliant in this too.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

DrJomster

Just finished assignment 6. Awesome. Best telly I've seen for ages. So wish they'd made more of this!  :thumbsup:

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Robo-K33F

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 17 December, 2012, 10:40:35 PM

I watched Assignment 4 over Christmas - great stuff and British Sci-fi at its best.

I'm usually against reboots, but I'd love to see some new S&S - especially if John Smith was hired to write some epidodes.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Robo-K33F on 19 January, 2013, 09:58:53 AM
especially if John Smith was hired to write some epidodes.

Yes.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Spikes

For those, like me, that was maybe looking to upgrade their Sapphire and Steel sets, just recieved an e-mail from Network and a Blu-Ray release is not on the cards.
Not that i thought they would, but they do seem to be doing more and more stuff on BR.

Leigh S

While I'd love to see more S&S, I really can't see where it woud fit into modern TV schedule - It was an anomaly even back then, when you could "just about" get away with taking months to tell a single story. 

It would require such a reboot in terms of pacing and atmosphere that I'm not sure what would be left.... though I wouldn't be totally against someone trying (so long as PJ Hammond was on board in some way)

HubertWindell

Quote from: Leigh S on 19 January, 2013, 10:42:39 AM
While I'd love to see more S&S, I really can't see where it woud fit into modern TV schedule - It was an anomaly even back then, when you could "just about" get away with taking months to tell a single story. 

It would require such a reboot in terms of pacing and atmosphere that I'm not sure what would be left.... though I wouldn't be totally against someone trying (so long as PJ Hammond was on board in some way)

They could have lots of sassy banter between Sapphire and Steel with the odd in joke about the original series to keep the geeks happy. The music could be Harry Potterish cinema score type stuff. It could be Twin Peaks meets Hollyoaks with not so much of the Twin Peaks ...or any weird atmospheric weirdness type stuff (that's old hat).

Steel could call Sapphire 'Sapphy' and she could call him 'Mr. Steely Wheely'.

Dandontdare

Quote from: HubertWindell on 21 January, 2013, 03:06:37 PM

They could have lots of sassy banter between Sapphire and Steel with the odd in joke about the original series to keep the geeks happy. The music could be Harry Potterish cinema score type stuff. It could be Twin Peaks meets Hollyoaks with not so much of the Twin Peaks ...or any weird atmospheric weirdness type stuff (that's old hat).

and they could tell it in single 45 minute episodes rather than four or six parts, with an overly sentimental and disppointing Christmas special featuring a Special Guest Star. Every story would end with Steel in some dodgy Christ metaphor, or Sapphire channeling the power of  love to fix time.

Nah, they'd never do that to a much loved Britsh scifi show would they?

Robo-K33F

Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 January, 2013, 03:59:00 PM
Quote from: HubertWindell on 21 January, 2013, 03:06:37 PM

and they could tell it in single 45 minute episodes rather than four or six parts, with an overly sentimental and disppointing Christmas special featuring a Special Guest Star. Every story would end with Steel in some dodgy Christ metaphor, or Sapphire channeling the power of  love to fix time.

Nah, they'd never do that to a much loved Britsh scifi show would they?

Ha! WHO would do that...

Spikes

Joanne Lumley and David McCullum was asked if they wanted to reprise their roles for those Big Finish Sapphire and Steel audio cd's. but both declined - unfortunately.
Never had chance to hear any of these. Are they worth tracking down, does anybody know?