Main Menu

Bristol Expo 2006 debriefing!

Started by House of Usher, 15 May, 2006, 03:05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bico

Wasn't inferring anything by it, just pointing out that not commenting looks bad to some people, regardless of actual facts.  I certainly wasn't suggesting that bevvying up and nutting Dez would have been more dignified, just more entertaining.

paulvonscott

"never"

Why didn't you just say it first then, get it in the open, and then we could all have joined in instead of inching slowly around the incident, not knowing what to say?

"Personally I think Matt should be aplauded for manner in which after that he calmly accepted the award"

And he was applauded.  I think there was no doubt left in the room that the comments about 2000AD and the Meg were entirely innapropriate after what Matt said (very diplomatically) and what Biff said very forcefully from the podium afterwards.  Both myself and Jack Daniels (who was ccompanying me at the time) said well done to Matt afterwards.

And I very much doubt we'll see such an incident at future awards!

Al_Ewing

To stick a pin in one of the rumour grenades:

I wasn't 'given the go ahead on a series' - that kind of implies that a series pitch from me has been approved, which isn't the case. Sorry, Carls.

I am very happy though, but that's more because I'm writing my first novel for Abaddon Books - the second in the Pax Britannia series.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Carlsborg Expert

Matt should be aplauded for manner

On accepting the award Tharg the mighty said;" Cheers, 'khead.

I thought it was all a bit screwy.Then gain I do have a cel picture of Al Ewing as ,"The Claw."

Bart Oliver

Al

I have your yellow spiral bound sketchbook. We can arrange a time to meet up for a drink an' that, Leeds or York to hand it over.

Ol

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Queen Firey-Bou

well bah ! i missed all the awards action, as scurrilous people kept coming thru to the bar & informing us that it was dead boring & not worth going in for.

i also missed all the info & gossip above, in fact i'm really not sure what happened at all the whole weekend. i was definately there ... i think.

oh yes !   dom reardon, gnillips & everything around them sellotaped down was a good moment. sadly my photo was too blurry.

Art

On the offchance that it is actually the notepad of Al Ewing, and not just one he's stolen, DO NOT LOOK INSIDE. You'll probably end up blind or insane if you do.

In fact even if it's someone elses notepad that he's been in contact with I wouldn't look inside, just in case he's infected it with his madness.

Oh, and Al, congrats on the book!

Bart Oliver

That was quite funny.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/Diaz57/14-05-06_0014.jpg>

Art, I hope it is Al's book, I've drawn a **** **** in it for him.

Al_Ewing

Bart - As far as I remember there's nothing in it. Some occasional manga that me, Lee and Dom were playing about with, but nothing I'd particularly want to keep. Also, I got that yellow sketchbook completely free as a result of some Circumstances, so you may as well keep it as you'll have more of a use for it than me.

Not that I'd mind going out for a pint soon...

Bart Oliver

In Leeds Whitelocks seems to be the pub of choice at the mo' with LMS. Failing that there's The Angel a couple of ginnels up.

Do you know The Wellington in the Tate & Lyle terraces close to th e river in York?

Al_Ewing

I've never been in it - my regular's the Red Lion, or failing that, the Golden Slipper.

Lord Running Clam

It's going to be cool to see Dom reardon doing painted art on the Ten-seconders, but the downside is he said it would then be a a good while before he could illustrate any more Cabs if they kept him on as it's artist.

D'Isreali & Edgington are doing a new series for 2000ad called, I think, Stickleback.Doe's anybody else know anything more about it?

They are also doing a comic for Darkhorse he discribed as Mary Shelly's Frankenstein meets Doc Savage.

Bart Oliver

++ D'Isreali & Edgington are doing a new series for 2000ad called, I think, Stickleback.Doe's anybody else know anything more about it? ++

Only that D'Israeli is using an illustrative technique we haven't seen him use before.

He showed me a couple of examples of the new process while we had quite a techie conversation about using older, proven, more reliable hardware and software and also what an inspiration artist Alberto Breccia is.

Rob Spalding

Also Ian edgington has a new series starting in Prog 1500 (I think) that's a horror set on an island prison, dunno who the artist is on that.

worfy77

Panel was too hungover& it showed far too much. I took friends in wirh me who aren't 2000ad fans & they hadnt really changed their minds when they came out either.