Main Menu

Stickleback - a work-in-progress...

Started by The Amstor Computer, 02 October, 2006, 09:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

Dunno if anyone else will find this interesting, but D'Israeli is currently blogging on the progress of his latest work for 2000AD, Stickleback. It's due to start in Prog 2007 and it seems that work has started in earnest with semi-regular updates being posted on his blog.

Not much so far, but there are some interesting comments on his influences for this particular strip, a striking test image & the first glimpse of the strip's lead character. I've posted the relevant posts & pics below, but it's worth taking a visit to his blog as it's always an interesting read.

-----------------------------

SEPTEMBER 18, 2006

Did a trial page for Stickleback over the weekend - I'm using a new (for me) technique, inspired by the collage work of Argentinian comic artist Alberto Breccia (specifically, his work on Perramus in the 1980's).
It's always a bit nerve-wracking trying a change of direction - new techniques that seem great in trial runs can prove unwieldy when faced with the day-to-day grind of comics production, but the trial page went well. It does you good to shake things up every so often... the slight uncertainty of not completely knowing what I'm doing adds a definite frisson to the working day. I find I'm much keener to get down to work than I have been for months.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/buttonman/Stickleback-Test.jpg">

OCTOBER 2, 2006

Deadlines on part one of Stickleback are biting a bit, due to the time lost because of the move... I'm pencilling the last batch of pages from the first episode (a ten-pager, to go in Prog 2007). Having to draw the hero, Valentine Bey, for the first time in earnest; it's funny, you can do all the character sketches you like, but it's only when you draw a character in action that you really start to get a feel for them. At the moment, though, it's mostly about drawing him so he doesn't look like either Robert Autumn from Scarlet Traces, or Devlin Waugh...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/buttonman/Bey-Pencils.jpg">

TordelBack

Surely one of the greatest artists working today, in any medium.  The man is a marvel.

Dan Kelly

Oi Amstor!

I've not seen you hanging around D'Izzys comments...

But the blog is great isn't it ;-)

Looking forward to P2007

The Amstor Computer

I tend to just read the blog & not join in the comments - though I've seen your posts every now & then :-)

Really enjoy the blog, though - some great insights into his approach to his art and plenty of nice artwork.

ming

Cheers for that, Amstor.  And here's a link to the blog...

Link: http://disraeli-demon.blogspot.com/" target="_blank">The link

The Amstor Computer

Gah! Forgot completely to include the link - cheers, Ming :-)

Jim_Campbell

"Surely one of the greatest artists working today, in any medium. The man is a marvel."

He certainly is. I've been a fan since Lazarus Churchyard and Timulo (for Deadline). Courtesy of his blog, I discovered that he only lives a few mile from me, and in the vicinity of one of my favourite pubs.

I was just trying to summon the nerve to see if I could buy him a pint some time, and he fucks off to Edinburgh!

Bah!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Trout

Jim, at a con I was pleased to get a grin from D'Israeli by requesting a Timulo sketch!

- Trout

Jim_Campbell

Oh, my fuckin' word ... that's rather lovely.

Looking forward to this one, I think.

Cheers!

Jimhttp://photos1.blogger.com/blogger2/2204/3599/1600/Bey-Inxses.jpg">
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Amstor Computer

Blimey, that really is rather lovely. It's wonderful to see an artist who is prepared to experiment so much on each new project - especially when it's as successful as that.

DavidXBrunt

What a great artist. There's something wrong with an 'industry' that doesn't knock down doors to get at talent like D'Israeli.

That said there's a large part of me that is secretly glad because we get to see all the wonderfull stuff that he's produced over recent years. I hope that Tharg always has the sense to hire him, with that nice Mr Edginton, for as long as possible.

DavidXBrunt

What a great artist. There's something wrong with an 'industry' that doesn't knock down doors to get at talent like D'Israeli.

That said there's a large part of me that is secretly glad because we get to see all the wonderfull stuff that he's produced over recent years. I hope that Tharg always has the sense to hire him, with that nice Mr Edginton, for as long as possible.

paulvonscott

Couldn't agree more Dave, it's great to see these sumptious treats laid before us in the prog. I really think he's at the top of his game and it's impressive stuff.

Can't wait for Stickleback, they're great little fish, what with the stickles and all.

Woolly

Cant really add anything that hasnt been said already, just another vote for the utter adoration of anything D'Israeli draws!

He's a fuckin hero!