Main Menu

Torchwood: Are we looking forward to it or not?

Started by LARF, 17 October, 2006, 02:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

RTD *is* still full of his own shit, though

Yeah, I'm beginning to feel that way too. Really interesting watching the interviews with cast & crew on the Classic Who DVDs & comparing them to RTD's performances on Confidential etc...

Wils

Spin-off frenzy!

Didn't know about this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862620/" target="_blank">"You've dumped me for a fucking brat, mistress."

Leigh S

I dunno - Levine is pretty obsessive, and he's opinionated, and seems to have a way of winding people up but I have yet to see a story of him being in any way malicious - he slagged off JNT, which seemed to have been the start fo the ire against him.  TBH, I think fandom at that time was right to turn on JNT - I'd long lost interest in the show, and JNT was the reason (though I didnt know that at the time).

If anyone can tell me or point me to the root of Levines demonization, maybe I'd agree, but other than the roasting he gave the production team in the late 80s, I'm not sure what he's done wrong (and I personally wouldnt hold that against him - quite the opposite)!

As someone who never entered Who fandom, it just looks to me like theres an old guard of Hippy/Pre-JNT fans and a new guard of Punk/McCoy loving fans, and theyre both as bad as each other - thought the punks should know better, so I'm siding with the hippies! ;)  

Chris H

Well that Russell Grant fella's writing it, so it shouldn't be a complete bunch or arse. I hope. On the other hand, it could be, which would be a shame. Dunno really. Sorry - what was the question again?

DavidXBrunt

JNT wasn't entirely responsible for the bad shit of the 80's. If anything I'd blame Eric Saward more. If JNT hadn't had to stop on as producer and left with Peter Davison or after Colin Bakers first run he'd be much better remembered. The man had his failings but when he avoided his own ego he could do his job.

Leigh S

Saward didnt seem right for the job, I'll agree, but ultimately, I think the blame lies with the guy who hires the guy whos doing it wrong.  Especially if that guy is too busy swanning around the US convention circuit to sort out the guys who are not up to scratch.

Wils

Saw the Tochwood trailer after Omen 2 (I can quite happily wait *another* 20-odd years before I watch that again), and it looked, well...sort of...shit.

Gary'll like it, though, 'cos there's obvious lezzing-up in it. ;)

Concrete Block 15

The current ish of RadioTimes carries a Torchwood cover and a behind-the-scenes sneaky peek article on the inside.
Whilst the babe quotient does look particularly encouraging and is as good a reason as I need to tune in tonight, I'm uncertain as to what the actual lezz potential will be; certainly none of the major female characters appear to be of that particular persuasion (damn). Knowing RTD's own proclivities, and allusions to Cap'n Jack's AC/DC tendencies in his first series of Who, the only other example of possible hurmasex action will be being provided by the new character of Ianto Jones (played by Gareth David-Lloyd), who the RT describes as "hiding a secret from the Torchwood team..." and "there's definitely an attraction there, for Jack."

Anyhoo, back to the chicks...

The cutest by far is Toshiko 'Tosh' Sato, played by Naoko Mori (who reprises the role she played briefly in the Who Series One story Aliens of London.) That's her on the cover stood arms folded on Cap'n Jack's left, looking all business-like and domineering.... Oh Gooooood.
Of course, my personal addiction to Japanese bukkake videos may be influencing my decision in this regard...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c377/CB15/radiotimes.jpg">

Lobo Baggins

If anyone can tell me or point me to the root of Levines demonization, maybe I'd agree,

His internet presence has been more than enough for me to loose whatever respect I had for him.

He was also responsible for unleashing Take That upon an unsuspecting world...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Huey2

"JNT wasn't entirely responsible for the bad shit of the 80's. If anything I'd blame Eric Saward more"

Saward still managed to script-edit a handful of classics under his watch and wrote one too. Unlike...

...the next guy. Under Cartmel we had 3 years of plotless stories which were just a handful of set pieces randomly thrown together. He also totally re-wrote the Doctor's character in contradiction to the previous 23 years. Casting the Doctor as a brooding, amoral, cosmic manipulator was not only the wrong move for the series, but was pretty unconvincing when the actor portraying this was Sylvester McCoy who chose to play the character as... a twat.

Whatever the failings of JNT, Eric Saward or RTD none of them have produced anything as godawful as the Sylvester McCoy years.

- Huey

DavidXBrunt

I disagree. Pretty much any of the Colin Baker stories are much worse than pretty much any of the McCoy run.

Noisybast

Submitted without comment...http://users.bigpond.net.au/farstar/scans/villian/candyman_and_doctor.jpg">
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

DavidXBrunt

I still think that's a neat idea.

In reply I offer this

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CHI64qK48A" target="_blank">More enjoyable than the actual episode

Lobo Baggins

Y'know, one day there's going to be a Doctor Who related thread posted on the internet somewhere that doesn't eventually become a 'Sylvester McCoy was crap / no he wasn't / he was / wasn't / was' fight...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

paulvonscott

"Pretty much any of the Colin Baker stories are much worse than pretty much any of the McCoy run."

Colin Baker's Doctor never decided to climb over an ice cliff for no reason whatsoever, then hang there like a lost dildo, just so the show could end on a 'cliffhanger'.

And what was all that shite about the cats at the end?

But then there was that Colin Baker episode where they turned Troughton into a munchkin.  Was there nobody on set that day brave enough to speak up and put an end to what was essentially a holiday in a crap part of spain at the license payers expense?  It made Eldorado look like the Royal Shakespeare Company.

Which is better?  On balance I'd have to say it's a mute argument as it was all toss.  

Hopefully my brain can only hold the memories of so much shite TV and Torchwood will either dislodge some of the bad memories already there, or even better, not take hold as my brain is too full of this sci-wank.