Main Menu

dredd film - mistake?

Started by joepineapples3000a, 29 October, 2006, 07:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joepineapples3000a

im sure every dredd fan has seen the terrible film but im asking was it reall all that bad? they got it ok for the first 5 minutes or so but so much was wrong!!! i think it was a failiure, what do you think and why?

Funt Solo

It was fucking fantastic from start to finish.  I love it.
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

joepineapples3000a

DavidXBrunt

The Adventurer

While I have not seen the film (I keep an eye on the bargain bins, someday I'm sure I'll stumble across it) it's very existence (and the numerous Dredd Vs series Dark Horse did) kept Judge Dredd in the back of my mind for years, until I stumbled across 2000AD, noticed the name Dredd on the cover, took a look, and fell in love.

So, by proxy, the Dredd movie was responsible for me reading 2000AD today.

So... it succeeded in it's primary goal.  Eventually.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

joepineapples3000a

you are all kidding right? dredd takes his helmet of - kisses hershey - kills the entire angel gang in the space of 30 seconds - hammersteins in it - the counsel of 5 all die - the chief judge is fargo who is supposed to be dredds clone father - dredds a big nancy boy who cries and they added wierd kinds of bullets to the lawgiver, theres more but my fingers hurt.

Dog Deever

Fucking top notch, edge of your seat stuff, Stallone was PERFECT for the role.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

joepineapples3000a

The Adventurer

I'm pretty sure they're being sarcastic, but all the things you listed sound like standard type "adaptions" that all ongoing comic series have to go through in order to become 2 hour flicks.  I didn't cry when Peter Parker was bitten by a genetically engineered spider, or when the X-men all wore black leather either.

It actually sounds like the Dredd film tried to do too many things at once, but things like using the Angel gang as fodder and killing the Console of Five sound ok by me. Hell, I can go with the removed helmet if only because Stalone needed face time. It doesn't really do any thing to the concept.

The love angle with Hershey sounds a bit out of character.

Richmond Clements

I found the first 10 minutes tedious really. It only, for me, shifted into gear when the helmet came off.
The romance element was clever too. Makes me wonder why Wanger and Grant had not thought of it themselves!

joepineapples3000a

Jim_Campbell

"oh come on"

So ... could you have written something better? Enquiring minds want to know.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Adventurer

Now even I'm starting to wonder if you guys are being funny or not...

joepineapples3000a

ha, im not a film writer, mthose guys were and they still made a mess of it

DavidXBrunt

No adaptation can be faithfull, so it's only fair that they change things. Every change made improved the source material.