Main Menu

Super-duper-Ultra-Hyper-Bound-Gold-Plate Necropolis

Started by Floyd-the-k, 16 January, 2007, 07:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. R. Logan

>>But how do they fit The Dead Man in? A separate trade at the time?

How to read Necropolis

1) 'The Shooting Match' - Prog 650

2) 'A Letter To Judge Dredd' - Prog 661

3) 'Tale Of The Dead Man' - Prog 662 - 668

4) 'Countdown To Necropolis' - Prog 669 673

5) 'Necropolis' - Prog 674 - 684

6) 'The Dead Man' - Prog 650 - 662

7) 'Necropolis' - Prog 685 - 699

TordelBack

Oooh, controversial!  I see where you're going with this, Logan, and it makes sense, but I'd have to put The Dead Man back in before Letter to Judge Dredd/Tale of the Dead Man.  

Reading it afterwards, it's just an annoyingly extended (if beautifully drawn) shoot-out with some neanderthals.  You'll never recapture the original thrill of the mystery, but at least the Phobia/Nausea reveal is a shocker.  It's very much a prologue, making you want to know what did lead Dredd to quit, and what is going on in the Meg, rather than an interlude in the 'main' story.  

Bad Andy

I first came to 2000ad in issue 690 with Necropolis right in there (along with Harlem Heroes which I didn't mind at the time and Dry Run which I just thought odd).

In fact the moment I read about Kraken's demise is the exact moment I fell in love with Dredd. Despite the fact that I didn't know all the back story.

TordelBack

In fact the moment I read about Kraken's demise is the exact moment I fell in love with Dredd.

Both of Kraken's 'executions' are absolutely classic moments, although I'd have to go with the first as being slightly better.  Exactly how many times has a Fargo/clone turned a gun and/or needle against themselves?  Recent Rico Snr revisionism suggests that he tried to manoeuvre Joe into shooting him too (pre-Titan).    

Floyd-the-k

No, it`s not the be-all and end all of Mega Epics, but it has all this good stuff leading up to it and all this other good stuff following on.  Anyway, doesn`t it already exist in an affordable format?
  As for whether it was a waste of money, that would depend on how many people bought it.  I think the huge super duper Watchmen thing is a waste of money, since I already have Watchmen, so there you go.
  I hadn`t spotted all those interesting details (Judge Death, man who died with pants down etc), so thanks for that.

Noisybast

I must be tired, as I read that as "It's not the bell-end of Mega Epics"...

-Noisywils
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!