Main Menu

LJ Silver

Started by ming, 01 February, 2007, 09:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Although I knew that LJ Silver was Carlos Ezquerra, on reading the interview with Ezquerra in the 1984 Dredd annual again recently, it seems that he used this pseudonym on stories with which he wasn't happy with his work.  Anyone care to give us a list, partial or otherwise?http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/specials/mediumres/dredd84.jpg">

Lobo Baggins

I can remember the last episode of 'Rick Random: Riddle of the Astral Assassin' was credited to LJ Silver, as was the Golgotha bits of the 'ABC Warriors'.

I suspect its more about being annoyed with editorial politics than being unhappy with his work - Rick Random actually looks a lot more exciting when drawn by Carlos, but his episode is very obviously a 'the goodies kill all of the baddies remarkably quickly, THE END' sort of thing (very much like the last episode of Strontium Dogs).  I suspect that Ron Turner had refused to draw it.

And, of course, Pat Mills has made no secret that he was extremely annoyed that there were seven artists on the ABC Warriors...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

moonbeam

Some of Ian Gibson's 80s 2000AD art was done under the name 'Emberton'. I'm not sure why. His art looked good to me.

Steve Green

I'd always thought that the Rick Random story was reprint, until Carlos' episodes turned up.

- Steve

skurvy

Gibson was also Q. Twerk (cute work).

johnnystress

or "work done on the QT"?

Lobo Baggins

I'd always thought that the Rick Random story was reprint, until Carlos' episodes turned up.

Yeah, it seemed even more old fashioned than the actual Rick Random reprints that appeared in the Sci-Fi Specials at about the same time...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Does anyone else know why L J Silver was used as a pseudonym by Ezquerra? I re-read his ABC Warriors stuff today and only noticed the different name in Prog 134. And it looks great - so I'm assuming politics is the reason.

But what happened?
Lock up your spoons!

hippynumber1

I know John Cooper's version of events but am not prepared to repeat it! Politics is a good way to sum it up, I would say...

Dash Decent

I don't recall seeing LJ Silver anywhere before, but then I never used to pay that much attention to the credits.

LJ Silver = Long John Silver.  Nice one!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Frank

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 03 November, 2013, 07:15:21 PM
Does anyone else know why L J Silver was used as a pseudonym by Ezquerra ... I'm assuming politics is the reason.

Pat Mills definitely repeats the reason that Ming gives above - that Ezquerra was unhappy with either the quality of his work or having to draw the story in the first place - for the LJ Silver pseudonym on his ABC Warriors episodes.

Taking a massive slug from a flagon of fanwank, I assume Ezquerra wasn't chuffed with his agent telling him he had to work for 2000ad and with Pat Mills, after their falling out in the early days of the comic and Ezquerra apparently swearing he'd never have anything to do with them again.

blackmocco

I had asked Carlos for a Golgotha commission a few months ago. He told me he only wanted to draw characters he'd created himself as his commissions are for his fun. I won't repeat the conversation but I got the impression perhaps it wasn't work he values as highly as his Dredd and Strontium dog.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Skullmo

It's my understanding that it wasn't an issue with Pat, because Carlos and Pat have worked on a number of projects. But as Blackmocco says  not working on a story that he had created - i.e. rather than being a creator this was a work for hire job.

It's a joke. I was joking.

blackmocco

Well, that wasn't all he alluded to as his reasons... Haha!
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Frank

Quote from: Skullmo on 04 November, 2013, 09:04:39 AM
It's my understanding that it wasn't an issue with Pat, because Carlos and Pat have worked on a number of projects. But as Blackmocco says  not working on a story that he had created - i.e. rather than being a creator this was a work for hire job.

The passages regarding the departure of Ezquerra from the in utero Dredd strip in both The Mega-History and Thrillpower Overload make it clear that Ezquerra blamed Mills for not securing the additional payment for his development work that he says he was promised, and for the cannibalisation of work he had done in the early issues of the comic. That ABC Warriors fill-in aside, Mills and Ezquerra didn't work together again until Third World War, I'm pretty sure.

But aye, Carlos's position certainly seems to be that only the creators should work on a character, and I'm sure that's a factor in his disinterest in more corporate work. Descriptions of Ezquerra's character as a young man emphasize his sense of pride and volatility, and his intention in heading back to Battle to create El Mestizo was to never work for 2000ad again. I suppose the incorporation of Starlord into 2000ad (and Strontium Dog with it) forced his hand in that regard.