Main Menu

Hellblazer

Started by Trout, 27 February, 2007, 12:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

I think my first exposure to Hellblazer was the film.

I've picked up the odd GN here and there from libraries since and how different is the character! I really wish they'd stuck with the Liverpudlian rascal of the books. He is so much more interesting than the Keanu Reeves version.

As for the stories, my feelings are mixed. I forget the names of the GNs I've read, but in many cases the stories didn't seem to really go anywhere. They were great character pieces though, and I rather like (or maybe it's dislike, but in a likable way, if that makes sense) the world they describe.

The last GN I read involved Constantine in an American prison. I quite enjoyed that one (although I'm still not much wiser as to what the character is about, but I guess that's the point.)

TheEdge

Quote from: "ThryllSeekyr"Though right at this moment, I would pick Simon Pegg. I think he'd make great John Constentine.

Johnny Lee MIllar i thought.

I didnt realise they were still doing hellblazer last thing i REMEMBER was the whole Aussie walkabout thingy and something about swampthing.
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "ctaylor"the news that Milligan is coming on board has caught my imagination

John Smith.

John Smith. John Smith.

John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith.

John Smith.

Am I the only person who sees this?

Cheers!

Jim

PS - John Smith.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Emperor

Quote from: "The Cosh"It's been a good year for JC with trades of The Fear Machine and The Family Man and I've just seen this very interesting news on Comics Should Be Good:
QuotePeter Milligan begins writing Hellblazer (page 118; 21 January). Hmmmm. Might have to pick that up.

It is only a short run before Simon Oliver takes over. I don't think I have read much of Oliver's work but will be picking up the Chas mini-series at some point. It'll be interesting to see what he does, it has been said Diggle has given Constantine his balls back (and I have enjoyed what I've read of his run so far) which is a good base for some strong stories. What I'd like are some more batshit crazy stories and the Milligan news got me excited (nearly as excited as Brendan McCarthy writing Dr Strange!!) and I think he or, yes, John Smith, should get a long run and turn it up a few notches.

The interesting one before then is Hellblazer #250 - the Xmas special with a stellar set of creators:

QuoteWritten by Brian Azzarello, Jamie Delano, Dave Gibbons, China MiƩville and Peter Milligan;
Art by Eddie Campbell, Rafael GrampĆ”, David Lloyd, Giuseppe Camuncoli and others;

http://dccomics.com/vertigo/comics/?cm=10789

There is also the Delano/Jock graphic novel to look forward to later next year.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=10971

So interesting times ahead.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "Jim_Campbell"John Smith.

John Smith. John Smith.

John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith. John Smith.

John Smith.

Am I the only person who sees this?

Cheers!

Jim

PS - John Smith.

When you put it like that you make a very good point. The only concern I'd have is that he might make it a bit to weird and leftfield to be a fun read? With good editorial control I think it'd work a treat? Would he want to do it though?

Pete Wells

Well I for one think that John Smith would do a canny job. I'm suprised no one has pointed this out before.

radiator

According to Wikipedia, John Smith has written Hellblazer - issue 51 apparently.

Grant Goggans

He did: I namechecked that very issue at Comics Reporter this weekend:

Five For Friday

(I always try and add a 2000 AD moment in Tom's survey, even if I can't always get one answered in time.  Slaine seemed appropriate for the topic this time.)

ThryllSeekyr

After watching a few episodes of 'Dresden files'.

I thought that he's bit or like John Constintine but not quite there.

I figure if he was more like the Anthony Michael Hall's character from the 'Dead Zone ' series.

Surprising how much he has matured since his days of 'Weird Science' and 'The Breakfast Club'

Something about face reminds me  of Glen Fabry's cover on the series.

Pity he isn't native to the Bristish Isles, but I guess he could pretend.

Anyway, I saw one of the book covers for the orignal version of 'Dresden Files' and thought. Wow, he looks totalley different there. Tall, with vaguely emo styled darkish hair.

Roger Godpleton

John Smith should write everything.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Colin YNWA

So Milligan's first arc has finished and just wondered what people thought?

I thought it was... well... ok I guess. Not as amazing as I'd hoped but good enough to bring me back for at least the next arc. The art was uninspiring and wasn't really suited to Hellblazer. The story had some interesting ideas none of them seemed fully explored and it was a bit of a mish mash (for want of a better phrase). Still enough in there to bring me back so can't be all bad.

Anybody else read it?

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteJohn Smith should write everything.

You're right, of course. In fact he should re-write anything ever written that he didn't write.
I liked Ennis's Hellblazer, right up until he met [spoiler:wn1dbd2k]that bowler-hatted London gent of the type that doesn't exist, made him give him loads of money, and went home to his own flat which he hadn't bothered living in for the last few months.  Homeless people are usually homeless because they don't have homes, i would have thought.[/spoiler:wn1dbd2k]  But petty jibes aside, he made Constantine a more human character than he ever had been before.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"