Main Menu

Stainless Steel Rat

Started by Ignatzmonster, 28 March, 2007, 08:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatzmonster

Nearly everyone would like to see this comic adaptation back in print. The reasons we've been given for it not coming out are logical: 2000ad does not own the rights to the character and the royalties it could pay the author would be small potatoes. Rather than gripe, I would like to be constructive, and offer first reasons why I think Harrison would be agreeable to a reprint and secondly how Tharg could sweeten the deal without cash rewards.

Reasons why Harrison would be agreeable to the reprint:
1)He liked the adaptation. The site I visited about Stainless Steel Rat not only mentioned the comic but quoted Harrison's effusive praise. He's got good taste.
2)Harrison has a history with comics. He wrote for Flash Gordon for some time, as well as EC comics, and had friends who were comic artists.
3)Harrison's sales are probably not what they once were and he would probably like to see them rise.
4)Robert E howard's book sales have dramatically increased since Dark Horse took over the Conan franchise. I'm not sure about this, but I would guess so did O'Donnell's with titan's reprints of Modesty Blaise. All the comic book readers in my life, of my generation, read regularly the written word as well. Something that cannot always be claimed of movie geeks.

What, besides money, can be offered Harrison:
1)Advertise the Stainless Steel Rat's present publisher in the back of the reprint.
2)If the character has not already been optioned by a studio, agree to mail copies of the reprint to various film companies. A man geting on in years could use a franchise, even just the hope of a franchise.

So anyway that's my suggestion, offer Harrison exposure, and the rest of us can enjoy some choice Ezquerra artwork. It's not much but I thought I'd at least try to help.

Richmond Clements

It'd be great to see these reprinted.
I'm not actually sure if there's any reason, from Harry's side, that they can't be. Mike C is a good friend of the great man- maybe he'll be along and expand on things further shortly.

Lobo Baggins

I think the problem lies with the publishing rights holders of the books rather than Harrison - there were some vague mutterings about them not wanting two 'rival' versions of the books out at the same time.

Seems daft to me, as it was the comics that got me to read the books in the first place, but there you go...

Actually, wasn't Harrison also an artist at one point?  I can recall seeing some of his caricatures of his contemporary writers from the 50's...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Ignatzmonster

If its just the publishing rights holder's then send them a chart tracing Conan book sales cross referenced with the comic's emergence onto the market. Still, if they're that thick, there's probably no hope.

Ignatzmonster

If its just the publishing rights holder's then send them a chart tracing Conan book sales cross referenced with the comic's emergence onto the market. Still, if they're that thick, there's probably no hope.

Mike Carroll

> I think the problem lies with the publishing rights holders of the books rather than Harrison - there were some vague mutterings about them not wanting two 'rival' versions of the books out at the same time.

As far as I know, this was indeed one of the problems. Back in the 80s Titan Books were scheduled to publish reprints of the 2000 AD adaptations (and I'm pretty sure they even advertised them), but they didn't happen because in the UK Sphere books had the rights.

About eighteen months ago I had the idea of trying to track down the rights and reprint them myself. I know I can get Harry's approval - he is still very fond of the adaptations - but all my enquiries to Rebellion went unanswered.

My plan was for a pretty chunky GN:
The Stainless Steel Rat: 73 pages
SSR Saves the World: 60 pages
SSR for President: 62 pages
Cover gallery: 11 pages
Star scans: 2 pages

That's 208 pages, plus an introduction or two, author and artist profiles, etc., which would bring it up to about 220 pages.

I scanned in and cleaned up 125 of the comic pages, but never got around to the rest of them. If Rebellion aren't interested in a Stainless Steel Rat GN (or even an Extreme Edition), Maybe I'll restart the project again someday...

And yes, Harry was indeed a comic artist (and writer, editor, publisher...)! Check out the "Harry Harrison - Comics" chapter on the website.

Cheers,
Mike

Link: http://www.harryharrison.com" target="_blank">Official Harry Harrison website!

Trout

Bloody hell!

I'd buy that!

- Trout

Mike Carroll

For what it's worth, here's my (unfinished) front cover for the book...
http://www.iol.ie/~carrollm/ssr-reprint-frontcover.jpg">

Byron Virgo

Harry used to be part of a team with Wally Wood after they studied in Berny Hogarth's class together (Harrison usually on pencils, Wood on inks, though sometimes the other way round). They got a gig drawing romance books for EC before they were moved on to horror, and I believe Harrison was instrumental in pointing Bill Gaines towards SF (at this point he was also writing the Harrison/Wood strips under a pseudonym as well). After the partnership split up, Harrison partnered up with Jules Pfeiffer, before Gaines fired them (Harry and Al Feldstein didn't exactly 'get along', so I understand it). If memory serves, Harrison also later wrote some of Sydney Jordan's Jeff Hawke in the Daily Express.

"If its just the publishing rights holder's then send them a chart tracing Conan book sales cross referenced with the comic's emergence onto the market."

There's not really a comparison to be made, to be honest - for one thing, Howard and Harrison write very different types of story. For another, the comics reach entirely different markets; the Conan books also play on the popularity of Marvel's b&w seventies anthology, which was terrifically popular, and Dark Horse has a pretty damn good hit rate in terms of distribution on both sides of the Atlantic. In comparison, EE's struggle to make it over to the US (where distribution of Rebellion books are patchy at best), and they mostly sell to an audience of current or lapsed readers, not to new fans. Not that I want to pour cold water on your idea, just that I don't thing a Stainless Steel Rat EE would really massively increase sales of the novels. And it should be a proper collection anyway.

Speaking fo which...Mike, you have *got* to get that reprint book together! That sounds too bloody good to leave to chance - any help you want in getting it together, just let me know. Shit, I'll even pay for a copy, if I have to!

ming

Yes please.  At the risk of getting the Mongo hat, Rebellion, get yer finger out.  Failing that, Mike - I'll take two!  Reading the 2000AD adaptations as a nipper made me hunt down all the Harry Harrison books I could lay my hands on.  Great stuff!

Bolt-01

I'd buy it. I reckon it'd be worth it for Rebellion to get Carlos to do a new cover as well.

Harrison reminisced about his time 'in comics' in the intro he did for FQ04. Now out of print you can download the comic from the FQ website.

Bolt-01

paulvonscott

I'd love to have that on my shelf, Mike.  It would have the beauty of appealing to the 2000AD crowd and a potentially larger SF audience.

Heck, if they wanted to adapt some more of the books I'd read that in the prog as well.

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

numanti

I'd buy it.  The original strip made me hunt out not only The Stainless Steel Rat novels as a kid, but also the rest of Harry Harrison's work.  I don't own many progs before 400, so am unable to read most of the adaptations and I remember really enjoying them when they ran.  I even geeked out completely and converted the 'Saves The World' storyline into a scenario for the Judge Dredd RPG, which worked very well indeed.

Plus, I always remember Carlos' Angelina was hot.

Astro Ninja

I've read afew of the books since, but only have a dim memory of the 2000ad version. Have to say, not one of my favourite stories at the time.