Main Menu

Alice in Sunderland

Started by petemaskreplica, 28 March, 2007, 11:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemaskreplica

I thought this wasn't out until next week, so I was pleasantly surprised to find a prominent display in Foyle's on Charing Cross Road.

The first thing that strikes you is what a beautiful object it is - it's a bloody great doorstop of a book (over 300 pages), hardbound, lovely glossy thick pages. I read the first 50 pages or so on the train home, and it's great so far. The term "graphic novel" is much abused, but this really looks like it's going to live up to it, a rich and complex work that does for Sunderland what "Voice of the Fire" does for Northampton, a fascinating interplay of fact and legend. Well worth 17 quid of anyone's money. Is anybody else going to Bryan Talbot's talk on April 5th at the Cartoon Museum?

Pete Wells

Cor! As someone who was born, bred and still lives in Sunderland I'm really excited about this! The local rag says Mr Talbot is signing at my local Waterstones on Saturday so I'm going to get a signed copy, woohoo!

gronk guy

I fancy some of that. I've lived in Sunderland for 13 years but i don't know where Waterstones is.

Wils

He's not coming to Stockton until the 21st, but at least *I* know where Waterstones is. ;)

Roger Godpleton

I'm going to do my best to get to the Cartoon Museum, but it's doubtful.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

paulvonscott

I might have a look along to Sunderland for the afternoon.  Is it this Saturday?

Byron Virgo

What day is the Cartoon Museum thing (I've got the list they sent me at home, but I can't remember off the top of my head)? If I'm free, I'll try to roll along - I remember Mr. Talbot's talk on Tale of One Bad Rat was bloody brilliant.

petemaskreplica

It's on Thursday April 5th at 6.30. Tickets are a fiver, available from Gosh (where he's doing a signing beforehand).

Byron Virgo

What time is it on? May make a difference as to whether I'm able to get there or not...

petemaskreplica

6.30... pay attention!

Oh, it says on the museum website that he's doing another event there on the 27th, with Posy Simmonds.

Link: http://www.cartooncentre.com/" target="_blank">Cartoon Museum

Byron Virgo

D'oh...!

I do like Posy Simmons - in fact, last time I was in the Cartoon Museum, I had an argument with a mate of mine over whether she was rubbish or not.

Pete Wells

Gronk Guy - Waterstones is in the Bridges Shopping Centre, it used to be Ottakers (sp?).

PVS - it's this Saturday between 1 and 5 (I think!)

See you there!

Pete.

paulvonscott

Well, I'm not at work this Saturday, so unless I sleep in or am not well or forget about it, I'll try and get there for the start.

If anyone wants to go for a drink afterwards, I'll be up for a cola.

Byron Virgo

No more of your so-called 'posh' cider then, Paul?

paulvonscott