Main Menu

EE22 - 30 Years Creeps!

Started by Pete Wells, 17 April, 2007, 08:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

A nice Dreddworld Extreme Edition, always the best in my opinion. This is a mixed bag so here we go:

Cover - Lovely Bolland image, fab.

Dredd - Behold the Beast: Always been a favourite story of mine so it's nice to see it again. Lost count of how many times I read this as a kid and those demon riders are cool! Stubborn, rock hard Dredd at his best!

Max Normal - Three fun tales that desperately show their age, especially the first one where Max actually thinks in rhyming couplets!

Hershey - A darker tale from Hershey's time working at 'The Slab.' Nice to see Kevin Cullen's tin foil artwork again.

Mean Machine Goes to Town and Mean Machine Gets Married - Another couple of tales I remember with fondness. Nice to see again.

Mean Machine: Mean Streets - From the 'Alternaty Special' if I remember correctly. Wonderful Jim Murray art (I really miss his stuff!) with a well written but so-so script.

Mean Machine: Born Mean - Again, stunning art, this time by Kev Walker who seems to be half way between his current style and his older mega detailed style. A fun, throw away story with some real laugh out loud parts and a couple of Viz characters in there to boot.

Dredd: Tales from MC1 - Some real, one page gems here which I really can't recall reading before. Makes me want to get my Daily Star Mega Collections out again!

Dredd: She Devils - Mental art and a cracking story, finished the mag on a high (quite literally with all this colours!)

In all, I think this is a fair reflection of the highs and lows of Dredd in 30 years. From the exciting to the cheezy in the 70s and 80s, the amateurish psycho-babble to the ludicrous, endless parodies of the 90's mixed with the attitude of the Millienium. A winner!

Radbacker

cool E.E. from the sounds of it, any chance of a cover scan as I wont see this for about 4 months.  what was the last E.E. that should be due here this week.

CU Radbacker

I, Cosh

Does it have that Max Normal story where he plays Jean-Luc Ordinaire in the World Shuggy Championships. I always liked that one.
We never really die.

The Adventurer

Are these mostly reprints that wouldn't appear in the Case Files for various reasons? (aka: Not titled Judge Dredd, originally printed in spin offs or specials, etc...) If so I like it. They could use the EE to fill in some gaps that don't fit in the regular Case File theme, but would be worth seeing print. Like when the Case Files get to Necropolis they could put The Dead Man in a EE and not have to break the flow in the Case Files from printing only Judge Dredd titled strips.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

ming

Adventurer, Behold the Beast and She Devils are both lovely full colour stories from Annuals, back in the days of yore (as are the Max Normal strips).  She Devils alone is worth the price of admission; great story with McCarthy at his best!

Rio De Fideldo

The Hershey story is a bit ropey and without getting my Megs out I can't decide wether I'm missing the first page as the story just seems to start half way through.

Goaty

I hope so the Dead Man would be in EE, as i never read it... but hear about it lots, even read Necropolis

The Adventurer

Adventurer, Behold the Beast and She Devils are both lovely full colour stories from Annuals, back in the days of yore (as are the Max Normal strips). She Devils alone is worth the price of admission; great story with McCarthy at his best!

Oh I'm definitly getting it, as I preorder all my EE's through the Diamond Previews catalog. I love the EEs as rule, because being a new reader it's probably the best source of "reprints of comics I've never read" other then the TP line.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Pete Wells

The image below is used as the cover Radbacker (if my web fu is ok) and sorry Cosh, the shuggy episode isn't there.http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/hires/891.jpg">

Wils

A great EE with the exception of the abysmal Hershey story. A waste of nearly 30 pages, with shockingly sub-par art and script that made it look and read like a very poor fan strip.

Bolt-01

I disagree with wils on this. The Hershey story is a bit clunky- but it is probably the best thing Igor Goldkind wrote.

I'd not read it before and quite enjoyed it.

Kevin Cullen did better work than this though...

Bolt-01

Rio De Fideldo

Please can we never see the Creep repeated.

IndigoPrime

:: Dredd: She Devils - Mental art and a cracking story,
:: finished the mag on a high (quite literally with all this
::  colours!)

Is that the annual story from 1988? If so, that hasâ??hands downâ??the best colouring I've ever seen in a Dredd strip. I wish 2000 AD would be a bit more experimental in its colouring these days, because colour often really pushes the neon-nightmare aspect of MC1. These days, all the Dredd stuff is so... safe.

Funt Solo

::"Please can we never see the Creep repeated."

Seconded.
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

Funt Solo

I've only noticed this since the site came back online after that whole server-down fiasco recently.

Sometimes, when I hit Return (in the box I'm typing into right now), but more often when I hit Return twice in quick succession (to start a new paragraph) the browser crashes.

This only seems to happen in Firefox, and only on this site, although it might be a Firefox-textarea issue that I just haven't come across in any other site.
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.