Main Menu

Prog 1539 Defender Of The Realm

Started by Rex Banner, 27 May, 2007, 02:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex Banner

So there I was, browsing through a load of Empire mags on the off chance of finding sodding Jar Jar when I found something more interesting on the shelf.

Nice cover by Richard Elson, had to check inside as I didn't recognize it as him. Apologies for the less than great scan.

As with recent weeks a very good prog, with Detonator X, Sinister Dexter and Nikolai Dante all moving along nicely. No Bob Byrne this week, a rather nice Terror Tale from Mr Wyatt with great art by new droid Lee Carter.

Dredd. I don't know when I started the habit but I have done it for as long as I can remember but I always read Dredd last. This prog I didn't see any of Dredd until I went back to the beginning and I was very surprised. Not going to say anything else other than 'wow'. Sorry to be annoying but you'll see why when you read yours.http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k25/lisa_loppit/1539.jpg">

I, Cosh

Wow! Those bastards deserve everything they get.
We never really die.

COMMANDO FORCES

I totally agree with the Dredd story, WOW indeed.

Lord Running Clam

I found a copy in my local WHSmith on Saturday, Great way to start off a Bank Holiday.

I gotta say the highlight of the prog was Dredd. Itâ??s fully deserving of a â??wowâ??.

Mardroid

I didn't think this came out until Monday, for subscribers, and Wednesday for everyone else. Definitely unusual colour tone tot he cover. Very dark, moody and, well, kind of red. ;)

Mardroid

...Oh and I forgot the bank holiday so mine didn't arrive today after all. Never mind. Makes me wonder even more how others got there's early. I guess some of the shops had there'd delivered early due to the bank holiday? (And there was me thinking Subscribers got theres first..)

I, Cosh

Bah! I had a trawl round some of the shops in town but nobody had it, so I'll just have to wait until tomorrow night.
We never really die.

JOE SOAP

Great art but...What the fuck, does McMahon get a dispensation to almost draw all of Dredd's face? I know they're miniscule pics but it's not even a Wagner story.

Matt Timson

Dredd and the Terror tale were the prog highlight for me this week- fantastic art.  Arthur has generally been a bit of a lucky bastard with artists...
Pffft...

The Amstor Computer

I know - look at who he's had so far:

Laurence Campbell - simply gorgeous B&W art on â??Cosmonaut Xâ?
John Cooper - old-school, atmospheric work on â??Cold Spotsâ?
Ed Bagwell - Glorious full-colour art for â??Natural Orderâ?

The stories certainly deserved good artists, but he's been particularly fortunate in the choices Tharg has made.

thrillpowerseeker

Dredd..McMahons 'Picasso on E's' style took a long while to grow on me..like 10 years or so..but it is totally suited to MC1 and this weeks Dredd has got to be the best non Wagner Dredd 'one off' I've read for years..Kudos Tharg!

Detonator X.. was skipped..

Terror Tales..Lee Carter is a name to watch out for..superb art..bit like Millidge in colour

SinDex..Bye Bye Bill..hello Car and Guns..thats about it really..

Dante..Terrific Romp.lovely page of New Moscow..Mafiya time..

Prog is pissing all over the meg just lately..

The Enigmatic Dr X

Don't believe the hype! A sub-par, instantly forgetable filler prog.

Best thing in it is the Terror Tale.

Sin Dex - how many hum-drum six page set ups must we wade through before we get to any meat?

Dante - who bloddy hum. The Tzar is a bad egg. Dante steals a kiss and cleans up by taking over a crime den. Didn't we see the very same thing just a few weeks ago in Rudenstein? How about he actually does something new?

Detonator X - passable fun. At least we haven't seen it before.

Dredd - fecking pish of the first order. A derivative tale that is nothing new, shat all over and made infinitely worse by McMahon's uselss art. Why? If his name was different he'd be laughed out of Tharg's office. His characters are distored mutants that look like they were drawn by a 12 year old. His style is no longer suited to comics. End of. He once was good, nay great, and now it looks like he, frankly, can't be arsed making an effort.

Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Still, it's better than the Meg...
Lock up your spoons!

[YT-2]

>Dredd - fecking pish of the first order. A derivative tale that is nothing new, shat all over and made infinitely worse by McMahon's uselss art. Why? If his name was different he'd be laughed out of Tharg's office. His characters are distored mutants that look like they were drawn by a 12 year old. His style is no longer suited to comics. End of. He once was good, nay great, and now it looks like he, frankly, can't be arsed making an effort.

Story ok, art great, different strokes for different folks.

http://www.repmanblog.com/photos/uncategorized/gary_coleman1.jpg">

Steve Green

I actually think his art style is fine, although more suited to lighter stories IMHO.

I miss his take on the city though, Flint is the king of drawing the Meg for me at the moment.

- Steve