Main Menu

Podcast : Glenn Fabry & John McCrea

Started by Marbles, 13 August, 2007, 07:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Spurioso

Surely the most sensible, airy-fairy, PC and all-round diplomatic way to resolve this is to say:

a) Yes, the correct Celtic pronunciation of the name is "Slawn-yeh".  Huzzah for accuracy.

b) However, those of us who don't have much of a relationship with Correctness, who think "Slawn-yeh" sounds a bit rubbish, or who like to think that if Pat Mills can pronounce it wrong in an interview then so can we, are fully entitled to continue erroneously pronouncing it "Slain" as long as we want.

See?  Now everyone's happy.  The sticklers get to be Right, which of course is their universal imperative, and everyone else gets to flout their wrongosity.  It's like a little slice of God.

johnnystress

You 'take the high' road and I'll take the low road

Richmond Clements

Pffft. If you think we'll all get along that easy, Spurrier, you're living in some sort of 'Eldorado'.

Funt Solo

It was brave to attempt to unravel the knots, landing gracefully at a peaceful solution.

*cough*
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

johnnystress

Enough! This is a comics forum!!!

What about that recent UK comic by Leah Moore? Reckon there an audience for this sort of thing? Would you ..reckon theres an Albion Market?

Richmond Clements

Well, maybe for the older reader, certainly not our sons and daughters.

Claym00re

Wils.

A lot of 9 year olds do things incorrectly, but they learn with age.  

Your rebuttals, Wils, are as weak as your insults are vile.  I point you towards Rule 12 of 2000AD's message board conduct rules.

Anyway, your arguments remained bested and the case remains rested.

'Slawnyeh', mate.  It's 'Slawnyeh'.

Wils

A lot of 9 year olds do things incorrectly, but they learn with age.

Although even Mills himself pronounces it as "Slain".

Your rebuttals, Wils, are as weak as your insults are vile. I point you towards Rule 12 of 2000AD's message board conduct rules.

And for that I do genuinely apologise, although you *are* coming across as very...superior about the pronunciation of this, which is what set me off. No need of me to launch at you quite like that, though. (#)

Anyway, your arguments remained bested and the case remains rested.

'Slawnyeh', mate. It's 'Slawnyeh'.

For you, but I'll be continuing to pronounce it "Slain" regardless.

(#) And, no, Eldrich. This apology has nothing to do with you threatening to tell teacher, before you pipe up.

Dudley

Just to check on my other pronunciations...

It's Charley's War as in
http://www.poster.net/charlies-angels/charlies-angels-photo-charlies-angels-6233609.jpg">

Hershey as in
http://www.born-today.com/Today/pix/hershey_barbara.jpg">

And Dredd as in
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/years/1980/images/winifreds173.jpg">

Richmond Clements

No, I don't think Hershey's pronounced 'Milf'.

Matt Timson

Fuck me- what a condescending nob.  Go and tell Wake to look that one up in the rule book.

Oh- and welcome to the board.
Pffft...

Roger Godpleton

I asked Mike Collins to do me a Slaine sketch in Milton Keynes and he just said "Oh right, Slain". At no point did Pat's mind control compel him to punch me in the face as punishment for grevious mispronounciation.

If that's not compelling evidence I don't know what is.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

TordelBack

This debate has a bit more to it than it seems.

To argue that Sláine has to be pronounced a certain way because it's "the" correct "celtic" pronounciation is bloody hilarious.  

I'd initially invite anyone to take a trip through Ireland's various gaeltachts (Irish speaking areas) and find virtually any common pronounciation of anything. I'd then ask them to compare those multitudinious modern "living" pronounciations to the "received" Irish pronounciation largely invented from scratch during the late 19th century/ early 20th century in an effort to revive a tongue on the verge of extinction, then compare it to the likely Old Irish pronounciation, which no-one knows for sure because it's effectively a dead language derived from written sources (transposed from older oral sources) only - including the one from which "our" Sláine, "first High King of Ireland" allegedly derives his name.  

I'd then politely enquire what ANY of this has to do with a character who lived "before the flood" in "Tír na nÃ?g".  

Honestly, claiming knowledge of EXACTLY how a name like that SHOULD be pronounced is bizarre.  It's akin to complaining that Kevin Costner shouldn't have an American accent in King of Thieves because Robin Hood is English, despite the fact that what the son of a Norman lord (in that iteration) actually spoke is unlikely to have ANY relationship to "English".  

If the argument is that Pat Mills says it should be pronounced one way, that's another matter (although I doubt he's consitent about it) - but I'd always question the author's right to control how his work is interpreted anyway.

If the argument is that that's how it'd be pronounced in modern "received" Irish, I'd say what the hell does that have to do with Sláine?

As a kid in 80's Ireland, it'll always be "Slain" to me, fada or not.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Wils