ireland misses out on ANOTHER prog!!

Started by piratemousey, 19 September, 2007, 07:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piratemousey

nothing in Cork again today.
Other Realms look like they could kill someone
im well pissed off.

TordelBack

...and besides, I like buying them myself up every week.

And this is the point for me too.  The lovely folk in my various comic shop haunts have all offered to put a copy on order for me, other Irish squaxx have recommended the subs service, but I genuinely enjoy picking up my prog wherever I happen to be (I travel about the island a fair bit with work, and never know where I'll be of a Wednesday or Thursday).  I have fond memories of odd places I've found 'landmark' Progs (30th Anniversary Prog: Navan; Prog 2000: Newsagents on 1st floor of loathesome Jervis St. centre; Prog 1489, the day my son was born, in Churchtown Newsagents; Prog 1141, my 'Return' Prog, Patrick Street, Kilkenny etc. etc.).  It reminds me of events andplaces in my life, and it's part of my Prog 'ritual'.

I also honestly believe that keeping 2000AD in newsagents is essential to keeping it in the public eye - I know that it's the only reason I picked up any Tooth during my long absences from the Prog in the '90's.  I'd be waiting for a connecting Kavanagh's coach or heading back to a lonely bedsit in some provincial hole (no offence, lads, just telling it how it is) and I'd stick my nose into a newsagents and there'd be the comforting sight of a Prog.  

Now more often than not it'd be so shite that I'd remember why I stopped reading, but one day I'd seen some previews of Colin Wilson art for Doomsday on t'internet, and picked up a Prog to find Cam Kennedy drawing Orlok, and here I still am today.  If 2000AD wasn't available in at least some random newsagents I'd probably never have found my way back, so grud help anyone starting out.

Dark Jimbo

I only subscribe 'cos I live in the middle of nowhere, don't drive and we have crap bus services. Otherwise I'd rather buy it from newsies to make sure the demand is still out there.
@jamesfeistdraws

I, Cosh

We told you this would happen, but you still insisted on "Home Rule."
We never really die.

TordelBack

We told you this would happen, but you still insisted on "Home Rule."

Dammit, you're right.  If this is the price of freedom, it's just too high.  I wonder do the DUP have offices near me, I need to pledge my support to the Rev Dr immediately.  Once I explain my motivations, I'm sure he'll welcome me with open arms:

"It's like this, Ian, I'm missing out on seeing dead men's cocks..."

piratemousey

home rule and 2000 A.D. .......
yes. such a tie i compleatly forgot.

another week has not materialised.
galaxys greatest comic my arse.

the shutdown man

Same here, I walked all over town on Saturday looking for 1555, and nowhere has it. I think I'm finally gonna have to cave and switch to subscription, but this is getting ridiculous.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

PreacherCain

http://www.2000adonline.com/?zone=info&page=contact

Go to Retail and Distribution to send them a message. I've already emailed but the more, the merrier, I say.

TordelBack

Already done, but I'd urge all other agreived Squáxx to do likewise.

piratemousey

Van Dom

Havent made it to the shops yet - any sign of the prog this week?
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

PreacherCain

I didn't see this weeks in the newsagents today. Buying 2000AD is becoming less of a habit these days.

TordelBack

Some good news, folks.  I snagged both 1555 and 1556 in Easons in Monaghan town today, plentiful copies nestled in adjacent piles.  Looks like both were delivered together.

Van Dom

Oh you lucky git! They had 1556 in my Easons but no 1555...Monaghans too far for me. Any other sightings of 1555 by anyone (dublin area) please let me know!!! I envy you Tordelback! Enjoy the double whammy!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

TordelBack

Enjoy the double whammy!

I most certainly did, Van Dom, I most certainly did.  Mandroid in particular was a tasty treat.  

But listen, I've to be back in Monaghan tomorrow afternoon, so if you're still progless by 11.00am, let me know here/send me a board  mail and I'll pick up another 1555 and post it on to you.  There should be a few copies left (there were at least 5 at lunchtime today), so the offer is open to at least two other paddies.  I'll be out of internet contact after 11 tho', so offer closes then.