Main Menu

Give thanks to the Board...

Started by Satanist, 19 October, 2007, 01:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satanist

I was thinking today that thanks to this site I've encountered entertainment that I might have missed otherwise. Im in a bit of a mellow mood so here's a wee rundown of thanks. You all know who you are...

China Mieville - Never heard of this writer but just finished a book of short stories (Looking for Jake) which even had a comic tale illustrated by Liam Sharp. I will now pick up one of his books as I really enjoyed these.

The Wire - Maybe the best TV show ever and folk on here raving about it made me watch, superb.

Preacher - I'd only read the 1st book but have now read the lot, dark and funny. Falls away at the end mind.

Urban Dead - I was addicted to this game for about 2 months.

Helter Skelter - Well I didn't say it was all good entertainment did I? Actually enjoyed this more than I thought I would after the ripping it copped on here.

So anyone else's dull life been enriched thanks to this here old web thingummy?
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Tweak72

Every day
Mostly from when my poor abused neurons spark and remember some out of left field comic, sci fi or fantasy thing from back in the day.
I found the original BBC Earthsearch series because of the board and there are other things as well (but I cant remember. poor abused neurons ok??) only once has the board not been able to help in 4 years
Even taking recent events in to account there has, in comparison to the rest of the internet, been very little bad feeling or flaming on here. and I am for the most part a fairly random and excitable type of person but I have found that the attitude of most people has helped me get better at typing readable if not coherent posts (as I have issues with spotting my own mistakes due to lexdixia and concentration issues)as they have for the most part been helpful.
I have also found many like minded people in regards to what cool stuff to read comic wise
so yay board
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Tweak72

The only thing i find bad about the board is the double post thing that happens you hit the "post Message" button then the lil box pops up stays blank and then gets a face you click the face and find that you have posted a million times.
I swear that i dont do any thing else but it happens and not just to me i am sure.
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Buttonman

I've read and enjoyed the comics 'Invincible' and 'The Walking Dead'. I've also learned to bit torrent and found several never thought of movies that have been mostly enjoyable.

The art comps have been a highlight as have the many petty flame wars, especially the ones which don't involve me.

Floyd-the-k

Immense amounts of thanks are due...if this were the oscars, they'd get the orchestra to drown me out before I was half way through

finding out about how to read 'Starlord'  and 'JDLOTF' online, has been a source of much fun for me. I still can't work bittorrent, but I'm very happy with komicslive

Dxb kindly sent me some CDs of all sorts of classic stuff

I forget who mailed me the radio show of 'little britain', which was a great treat

Mind very kindly mailed me cds of Hitch Hikers Guide.  Like the low-tech bonehead I am, I tried to play them, didn't realise they were mp2s and threw them away!  I still cringe at the memory. Thanks Ming

Various trolls and noo-nahs who overreact to same for teaching me how to be polite and to ignore trollish/noonahish behaviour

PVS for varous comics

Wil for giving me a column with The Nexus, which was loads of fun to do

almost everyone for posting funny comments to chuckle over

gary w for a cd, his small press comic and being my best correspondent

someone else nameless (they have a name, just I've forgotten it) for a terrific powerpoint presentation about comics in education

dweezil2

Chatting with (mostly) like minded people has been of great enjoyment since I first logged on about 5 years ago. On the down side, all the recommendations of comics and assorted merchandise has caused my bank account to groan.
(Adopts cheesy American voice-over). "It sure is a great place visit".
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Peter Wolf

I would like to thank the entire board just for tolerating my existance here.Thats the most i can expect so anything beyond that is a plus.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Albion

This board has given me much amusement over the years and helped me to discover some great comics I otherwise would probably have missed out on as well as books, films websites etc....

Grud bless you all.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Hoagy

Er... thanks board, for wasting my time, being more interesting than my boring self-motivated art assignments. For making any idea I have pale into insignificance when set against a conversation about postmen.

Seriously. Definitely for some underground journalism.  The am and pro artists. The letter writers. The small pressers. The links and of course the occasional droid swooping in with words of wisdom. Or not.

All my love
Mr Rothwell
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Tanky

Thanks all for putting up with my sporadic off-topic rambling while I await a suitably big pile of cash to go pick up my ever-growing pile of tooths and can finally catch up with what the rest of you are reading!

It really does seem to be getting back to the comedy board of olde :)

Tanky x x x

Dark Jimbo

Considering I don't actually know a single other person who reads comic, let alone tooth, this board has been invaluable as an outlet for my comic-related ramblings.

The art comps, and getting involved with small press (thanks Bolt!) have also been a real delight.

This board is my little haven, filled with like-minded people who don't need to have the concept of comics being for adults explained to them. Best of all - we use proper grammar, and capital letters, and full stops and everything! This may be the only corner of the 'net where you can go months without reading a 'LOL' or some other inane little buzzword.
@jamesfeistdraws

Wils

Thanks to Bolt for my comp copy of Stak!

SIP

Thanks from me to the board for allowing me to meet (virtually at least)the Futurequake boys and Mr PVS - cheers for the opportunity to get something in print!

I'd all but given up at comic art until I stopped off here.

WoD

Again thanks to everyone, the funny, articulate, knowledgeable and 'interesting' posters.
So many specific people and I know I'll miss some...but...
JEB for my first icon
ART for my first published story in FutureQuake
Bolt-01 for drawing Jon and Gorath (and my latest Icon)
JEB for the pictures he did for mini-WoD
Penter for drawing my first story and so bloody good too!
Ed for lots of goodies.
Usher for Tea and introducing me to some cool comics.
Bolt and RAC for putting up with me when we do the FutureQuake (etc.) books.
And SOOOO many others for pressies, gut laughs (the kind that spray coffee over keyboards and ruins them), Sara Jayne Adventures on DVD, and lots, lots more!!!!