Main Menu

The Mindscape of Alan Moore

Started by paulvonscott, 11 November, 2007, 09:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

Well, I've been looking forward to seeing this for some time and finally found a copy on DVD (it must be out on DVD!) at FPI.  It was £20 for a 2-disc edition (not that there was a one-disc set), and I believe it has been imported from the US.

First up, what is it?  Well, it's been touted as a documentary film, though in truth it's actually an extended interview with Alan Moore cut with dramatatised visuals from his works.

It runs through his early life, his start in the comic book industry, goes through some of his major works and where he was at and what he was thinking at the time, goes through his decision on becoming a magician and ends up with his thoughts for the future.  

All very interesting stuff, much the same sort of material as you find in George Khoury's definitive 'Extraordinairy Works of Alan Moore', but here of course, you here it straight from the man himself.

The cut scenes are clearly low budget, but are very effective I think.  Certainly V before his stage mirror is excellent.  You can't help but notice that Rorschach's and V's masks are a bit homemade, but full marks for effort over budget.

Extras: As well as directors commentary on some scenes, a making of, composer feature, trailers etc.

Then there is the second disc which features six interviews, including Kevin o'Neill, Dave Gibbons, Paul Gravett and David Lloyd (who says how very important 2000AD was, even though I don't think he ever got work there).  What's great about these interviews is they talk about themselves first and their entry into comics and then their relationship with Alan Moore.

Overall I really enjoyed the interview and I'm glad I bought the DVD, though I think that must be the last interview I see or read for some time about Mr Moore, as I seem to have seen and read so much of him in the last few years.  And at the same timeas I saw this I saw a small hardback book with an interview in, which I'm not going to go buy, the Exit interview was enough for me.  I'd rather see more work from him now and read that!

But a good interview to rest with!  Imagine they'd done a Comics Britannia just on Alan Moore, had dispenses with the daft graphics and replaced them with visualisations of his work and filmed him at his home.

The director came across as a very likeable sincere guy, and we got to hear his story which was also very interesting.

If you are interested in the who the man who wrote Watchmen and V for Vendetta is, then I'd reccomend George Khoury's book with this as a companion piece.

TordelBack

"You can't help but notice that Rorschach's .... masks are a bit homemade"

Now that's attention to detail!  Looking forward to seeing this, thanks for the info.

paulvonscott

Heh, well, more papier mache than material I should say.

Adrian Bamforth

Heh, so V didn't go to the Guy Faukes mask factory that existed in the film?

paulvonscott

No.  I really dug that bit in the documentary.  It just dripped love.  And in an affectionte, rather than post coital way.

It just seemed real all of a sudden.   Not the real of absorption in comic books, but real.  Something the movie only brushed past.

ThryllSeekyr

It looks like I would need to watch the whole thing to truly understand this.

I was wondering if that is the london location for 'Forbidden Planet' at 00:21.

The guy walking across the street. Alan Moore in a top hat and Cloak.

Just guesssing.....

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxUP5BQHRE8" target="_blank">The Mindscape of Alan Moore Trailer.