Started by ukdane, 02 February, 2008, 08:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukdane

Cheers

-Daney

Bart Oliver

Gutsville ninja?

http://www.comicon.com/pulse/images_07a/6guts8_th.jpg>

Beautiful stuff as always- *so* looking forward to it's continued run.
Obviously you're not a golfer.

Matt Timson

Agreed.  Some things are simply worth waiting for.

No matter what John Byrne thinks.
Pffft...

Bart Oliver

++ No matter what John Byrne thinks. ++

Why? What's he saying?

Bart Oliver

Actually don't give me a link- life's to short to get bent out of shape over an opinionated hack's ten pennies.

El Spurioso

*PLEASE* tell me John Byrne hates Gutsville.  And give me a link.  It'll make my century.

Floyd-the-k

understandable - being disliked by John Byrne would put you up there with Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore and pretty much everyone more successful/interesting than Byrne apart from his mate Frank Miller

Matt Timson

Sorry- that's not what I meant.  The mighty Byrne believes that there's no excuse for late books- ever.  

"How about if we just think of it this way: PEOPLE WHO MISS DEADLINES ARE LAZY, ARROGANT, UNPROFESSIONAL C*CKS*CKERS WHO ARE IN NO SMALL WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEATH OF THE INDUSTRY. AND THE â??FANSâ? WHO SUPPORT THEM ARE BRAINDEAD ELITIST MORONS." (John Byrne- 2004)

And yet, strangely, they are still in demand- whereas John Byrne's main income would appear to come from the many hideous commissions that he regularly fleeces his brain dead fans for.

The industry doesn't seem to have died yet, either...
Pffft...

Rob Spalding

Byrne's complaint is that too often a book solicited as monthly will not come out as a monthly book, but the writer/artist will say it's because they are working hard on it and the fans will know it's worth it when it arrrives.  His point is to not solicit a book as monthly unless you are going to bring it out monthly.
Something like Fraser having to look after his Mum because she was ill is not the same thing at all.

I'm not a blanket Byrne defender, but in this case you are having a go at him for something he hasn't done.
Chill guys.

The Adventurer

Yeah, gotta agree with Byrne on some level about that point. Late books do damage the industry.

To bad book that come out like clockwork (*cough*2000AD*cough*) don't get the recognition they deserve.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Matt Timson

I don't disagree that it would be nice to have books out on time- I disagree strongly with Byrne's assessment of anyone who fails- for whatever reason- to meet their deadline.  This includes blasting somebody (possibly Joe Quesada- I can't remember off the top of my head) for missing a deadline due to the death of his father- which, apparently, is no excuse for not getting a book out on time.

Rather than moaning about the artist making the book late, why doesn't the publisher, if he knows an artist can't manage 22 pages per month, simply wait until a few issues are in the bag before soliciting it?  Bryan Hitch is currently something like ten issues ahead on his Fantastic Four run for the simple fact that he's been given plenty of time to get it done, while the current team finish up their arc.  Simple.
Pffft...

Matt Timson

Pffft...

the shutdown man

I've never read this, but I keep meaning to get around to it. Is there a collection, or is it still too young?
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Bart Oliver

Yer see, that's just the kind of sweeping statement of thorough thoughtlessness and utter spite I was expecting.

Worst than a twelve year old griefer.

The Adventurer

I've never read this, but I keep meaning to get around to it. Is there a collection, or is it still too young?

Its only on issue #3 (of 6) it won't get collected until after issue #6. And then only if it sells well in singles I'm sure.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK