Main Menu

A Story About My Sister...

Started by Mike Carroll, 03 March, 2008, 12:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Carroll

My older sister Martina just told me about a recent event. Amazing as this story is, I'm even more amazed that today was the first I've heard about it, considering the speed at which news usually travels in our family...

Martina works in a fairly new supermarket in her home town in Co. Wicklow, where she looks after the wages and the ATMs and all that. In recent months it's somehow become part of her job to collect the cash for the ATMs every Friday. Because the supermarket owner apparently models herself on the animated creations of a certain Mr Walt Disney, no security people have been hired to provide any sort of support.

On Friday 22nd of February, Martina and one of the other staff members returned from the bank with somewhere in the region of â?¬50,000 in the boot of the car. As she was getting out of the car a man wearing sunglasses and a ski-mask approached the car.

He was also carrying a handgun.

He pushed the muzzle of the gun into her chest and told her to open the boot. The average person would crumble at this, but my sister is anything but average: she began screaming her head off, yelling for someone to phone the police. The other staff member scarpered, and the gunman again jammed the gun into Martina so she knew she had no choice but to open the boot.

And then... (This it the bit that scared the crap out of me)... When the gunman was leaning in to gather up the money, my dear sister grabbed hold of the lid of the boot and slammed it down on his head.

Unfortunately, this was when his previously-hidden accomplice - also armed - appeared from the shadows to come to his aid. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure that Martina would have beaten the living crap out of him, gun or not.

Between the two of them they got most of the money into the getaway car and zoomed away, but later witnesses said that the passenger in the car was looking pretty sick and holding his head.

The police arrived within minutes, but the gunmen were long gone by then. So they got away with it, but with a bit of luck one of them has a fractured skull, or, better still, permanent brain damage.

-- Mike the Proud

TordelBack

Good god.  There's only one thing you can say to that: g'wan ya good thing!

Devons Daddy

wow
but to be honest. i would have given them the keys to my car.
and smiled at the guy in charge of not organizing security.

though that took more iron will then i would muster.
if its not involving my wife,children,Maid,friends
or pets i would not have taken any chance.
its only money.

i hope she is not traumatized by the whole event.
and she gets a fat payment from someone for placing her in such a dangerous position.
WELL DONE HER.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Pete Wells

Blimey! Sounds like something out of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels! Well done to your sister, I hope she's ok!

Matt Timson

Fucking Hell- that's ace (well, not completely ace- but you know what I mean)!

Don't fuck with Mike Carroll- he'll set his sister on you...
Pffft...

Steve Green

Expect glowing reviews of everything you do from now on, Mike :)

Or crash helmet sales to increase.

Richmond Clements

Bloody hell..!!

Glad she's alright (though it does sound like bullets would have just bounched off her anyway!).

What a fucking story!

Bolt-01

Wow, that is just amazing, glad to hear your sister is okay.

Bolt-01

Peter Wolf

The question is how did they know that your sister was carrying cash ?

She has been doing it for months so they must have been watching her for a while and must have known something about it so it sounds like an inside job to me.[they were tipped off by someone who works there or the gunmen followed her from the bank ].
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

TordelBack

The question is how did they know that your sister was carrying cash ?

I was involved in a similar (although I must emphasise incident free!) cash procedure when I worked as Holiday Cover for Bank Porters in the late '80s/early '90s.  Large (and I mean large) sums of cash were frequently shuttled about between banks and businesses by the clerks in the own cars. For security, they would send me along with them (I wouldn't deter me, never mind hardened crims - I'm no Martina Carroll).  

The hours weren't exactly following a schedule, but it was always late on a Friday, and if you saw a uniformed clerk and  porter getting into a Fiat 127 with several large bags of cash every Friday, you might make it your business to hang around and see what happens.

Even more bizarrely, one of the banks I worked at was up some steps and quite a distance from the nearest place the Securicor Vans could park, so I frequently acted as the middle part of a human chain, with one guard standing at the van, and the other at the bank door, and sweaty me running between them with sackfuls of dosh.  That nothing ever happened is testimony to the laziness of yer criminal types - those steps were murder.

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Queen Firey-Bou

what a gal !  she can join my gang !

I hope shes not been too freaked out Mike, or traumatised, sometimes it takes a while to sink in. Brave lady.
 While we shouldnt risk ourselves for someone elses money, i certainly applaud the standing up to scum, bullys & all that is right & decent, Sis deserves a new hero named after her !

Proudhuff

Well done that woman, hope she's okay after it, these things tend to hit home afterwards, she'll need some TLC over the next wee bit

Huff
DDT did a job on me

Dunk!

Blimey, and i thought my sister was tough.

Nuff respect for the have a go attitude, glad everything ended well; Bar the cash disappearing obviously.
"Trust we"

Mike Carroll

Thank you all - I have just passed on your kind words!

She is still pretty freaked out by the situation, but she's one of the most capable people I know so I'm sure she'll be fine.

Unfortunately she didn't really jump on board with my suggestion that we get her a mask, a cape and a jetpack for her new crime-fighting career.

We're very proud of her for not letting those bastards turn her into a victim, but at the same time... Bloody hell! She could have been killed!