Main Menu

Arthur C. Clarke, R.I.P.

Started by Mike Carroll, 18 March, 2008, 10:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Carroll

Breaking news on Sky tonight: Arthur C. Clarke has died aged 90. No further details on the bulletins yet.

Mike Carroll

Buttonman

Big day for the reaper - Anthony Minghella and Captain Birdseye too.

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7302554.stm" target="_blank">(bread) Crumbs!

Something Fishy

That is very sad news, the guy was a genious.

This isn't another talented chappy passing, this is a serious genious who changed the world hugely with his work in science.

RIP.

Richmond Clements

Shit.

That's horrible- it feels like I've been kicked in the stomach.

I wouldn't use the word 'hero' a lot or lightly, but he deserves it.

What a loss.

Something Fishy

Agreeed Rac, he was a real inspiration.

Something Fishy

Wonder if he's up there now saying "my god, it's full of stars?".  Here's hoping he has a great journey.

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Roger Godpleton

I feel slightly ashamed that I don't know more of the man and his works.

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

The Amstor Computer

Terrible news, made even more dispiriting by seeing it on Five News ("Arthur C Clarke, most famous for the film 2001: A Space Odyssey")

SamuelAWilkinson

I'm with the Simp on this one: though I've had my passing acquaintances with his stuff, most notably the 2001/2010 films, I've never really made an effort to read his work. This is clearly something to amend.

Although, to be honest, I always was under the impression that he was dead already. Somehow, this makes it worse.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

House of Usher

Well, he did live to a ripe old age. I'd happily settle for 90.

I enjoyed the film of 2001: A Space Odyssey. I read a few of his short stories, but nothing full length. I used to find them entertasining. I was glad when they were short. They always started from a scientific premise, and explored its implications. I remember one where some space explorers were stranded on a planetoid so small it turned completely on an hourly basis. I seem to remember characters in his stories were always getting stranded in space with limited life support systems.

I remember watching Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World when I was a kid. All that paranormal stuff was really big in the '70s: extraterrestrial gods, Bermuda Triangle, pyramid energies, telepathy, Bigfoot: all of that.

He was a science fiction writer who had proper regard for science. Nowadays I'm not sure there are many of his kind around, as writers and their readers seem neither to know nor care what the difference is between sci-fi and fantasy.
STRIKE !!!

longmanshort

A fan of his work, from my chair I can see the full 2001 and Rama series sat on my bookshelf which I enjoyed immensely.

Words can be too easily bandied about these days; too easy to call one 'visionary' and another 'genius'. He simply looked to the horizon, while the rest of us gaze at our feet.

Trite, but true :S
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

paulvonscott

Ah, a great British Science Fiction writer, who was much nearer the science than most.  Loved his books as a kid (a compliment) and his Mysterious World shows.

SIDE Note:  On the BBC clip of Arthur on Wogan, there's a Lionel Fanthorpe who had written over 200 books on the show who chats with Arthur.  He seemed very familiar, and he is, it's Rev. Lionel Fanthorpe from Fortean TV.  He looks older then!

Hoagy

Aww fvk.

There is less n less guardian aginst your reality beginning day. After day. I. Shed a tear.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract