Main Menu

Eisner and Others

Started by Floyd-the-k, 12 April, 2008, 03:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Floyd-the-k

The term â??graphic novelâ?? is dismissed by most of its practitioners as either an empty euphemism or a marketing ploy. As Marjane Satrapi puts it, graphic novels simply enable â??the bourgeois to read comics without feeling badâ??; according to Alan Moore, they allow publishers to â??stick six issues of whatever worthless piece of crap they happened to be publishing lately under a glossy cover and call it The She-Hulk Graphic Novelâ??......

This is the beginning of a review of an Eisner autobiography (as well as of books by David B, Tomine and  Brunette, whoever they are) in the London Review of Books.  Thought you might be interested.

cheers,

yours, lrb-readingly,

Floyd

Link: http://www.lrb.co.uk/v30/n07/batu01_.html" target="_blank">Eisenshrpritz?

http://www.ordfront.se/upload/images/forfattare/msatrapi_430x170.jpg">

satchmo

Great linky Floyd! Some splendid comics for grown-ups mentioned in that article. Epileptic by David B is an astonishing book. I like everything I've seen by Ivan Brunetti, my sister likes Adrian Tomine's stuff but I can take him or leave him to be honest. I'd also recommend Ben Katchor's books, he's my current favourite.
There's a whole world of sophisticated, adult (and all ages!) material out there like these. Try something different today! The Gods of Comics will look upon you favourably :)

PS I feel bad saying this as I admire her work and respect her, but damn, Marjane Satrapi is HOT.

House of Usher

A great read, very well written and well researched.

But what's with this footnote: "Elif Batuman, who completed her PhD last year, lives in San Francisco." What the f*** do I care? If it said in the article that her thesis was about graphic novels I might be interested, but it doesn't, and I'm not.
STRIKE !!!

johnnystress

eek- ill have to print that out, no way i can read all that off a screen

Floyd-the-k

Satrapi is a cutey, in an Eleanor Bron way, isn't she?  She looked much better in the megazine picture.