Main Menu

My wee Wii queries

Started by Trout, 21 April, 2008, 11:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

"If you do get it (which I would heartily recommend) and you want a second wheel, don't get one of the generic ones from Gamestation, as they're really uncomfortable compared with the official ones, which are only about a tenner themselves."

....or you could just sling the wheel in the bin where it belongs, and use the proper controls.

The Amstor Computer

....or you could just sling the wheel in the bin where it belongs, and use the proper controls.

Heh :-) Thereâ??s nothing wrong with the wheel/remote controls, though they offer a very different experience than the trad pad setup (or even the remote+nunchuk).

Try each and see what suits.

(BTW â?? 100% wheel usage, plus all cups unlocked, most of the expert staff ghosts and plenty of online wins? The wheel canâ??t be all bad ;-) )

Tu-plang

Can anyone tell me if these games are region encoded or anything?  Eg, can I order something from Amazon UK or US and play it in Aus?  Games are notoriously expensive here..

Buddy

Also try (if it hasn't been mentioned yet) Mercury Meltdown.

The boy has a load of games and I'll go through them later and give you a list of child friendly games.

Looking forward to Mario Kart and will pick it up before too long..... anyone fancy starting a Kart championship??? Not sure how the online stuff works with it but I'm sue something could be sorted out.

Does anyone know how many online players can compete in the same race?

Buddy

And Super Paper Mario.

And the most mental game I've ever played Rayman Raving Rabbids.

Dan Kelly

@Tu-plang

Games are region locked so no imports...

@Umpty
upto 12 players online at any time.  Two ways of doing things - you can "host" a room for your mates, or you can join a friend in a standard online match.  The system flags that you have friends online and gives you the option to join them - presumably kicking out other racers...

WoD

I'm not sure about the region coding, but I think it is.

Mario Kart has a friend code which you need to give to your friends to allow you to find each other and play.  You each need to have the other persons code in your system.  On-line play is great though, and you can just jump straight in and race people from around the world, but you can't then mark them as friends, etc. unlike LIVE on the 360.

Something Fishy

If you have a wireless router with broadband then it should be easy to set-up Trouty.

There are some great entry level games.

Try Mario Galaxy. It's fantastic.
Also WarioWare is simple party fun.

Wii's are redion locked, though there is a thing called  freeloader.

Shopto are a great cheap site.

ukdane

What are the key accessories to get?

Do you need a second controller to pplay 2-player, or does the basic box come with 2?

Do you need to buy memory cards, to save games?

What's the Nunchuck?
Cheers

-Daney

Something Fishy

No need for memory cards to save games.

Yes you need second controllers and nunchucks (at 40 plus quid a pop it's a bit annoying).

Gothmog

Can anyone tell me if these games are region encoded or anything? Eg, can I order something from Amazon UK or US and play it in Aus? Games are notoriously expensive here..

Games are region locked but historically UK PAL and Aus PAL games are interchangeable on consoles so you should be ok importing games from the UK.

You won't be able to play US or Japanese imports without a freeloader though.

Tex Hex

Regarding the freeloader, I've heard that future system updates might gub the existing one. Not sure I would be happy taking the risk.

-hex

Satanist

Had a quick go on Mario Kart last night and it seems quite good. The wheel is also good for a wee kid as it makes more sense to steer than use a normal pad. My 3 year old loves it.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Trout

Aieee! That's got to be about two grand's worth of recommendations so far!

Thanks, everyone for chipping in. I knew I could rely on all of you. What a great bunch!
(Also, sorry for not being online for a couple of days. I've been busy, and not just with Wii, honestly!)

I think the verdict has to be to get Mario Kart. I have this expensive holiday coming up in a fortnight - the Wii was a combined birthday gift from various relatives, by the way - but I'll deffo get more stuff as soon as I can.

Now fess up, everyone - what's your Wii age?

- Trout (34)

Buddy

Got Mario Kart today.

Its great!!