Main Menu

F**d, Glorious F**d!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 22 April, 2008, 09:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Plumrose

Oven-bake a large dish of mushrooms for about fifteen minutes and collect the juice. Great for stock, especially if used in gravy.

Pan-fried red onions in port are pretty tasty, too.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

I, Cosh

Chilli needs Worcester Sauce, a lime or two and meat. Preferably stewing steak or something rather than mince. If you have to settle for mince, then red wine can  be good for taking the pink off it.

I also favour whisky over brandy in my chicken liver pate. Gives it a Scotch Bite.
We never really die.

Buddy

I make a great steak dinner with mushrooms and onions and mashed potatoes (with a hint of mustard in the potatoes)

But you just cannot beat a chicken and mushroom pot noodle sandwich.

Except now that golden wonder have sold pot noodle to god knows who they just arnt the same.

The noodles are thinner, the flavour now lackluster... just not wot they used to be.

Such a shame.

House of Usher

I cooked a meal last night out of whatever was left in the fridge and a few bits and pieces from the cupboard. Not at all planned, and shopping hadn't been done. Here's how:

Peeled and parboiled 4 small carrots.
Sliced and grilled remaining cherry tomatoes with a sprinkle of salt.
Splash of olive oil in a glazed dish.
Half a chopped onion, grilled tomatoes, chunky chopped cougette, last few silverskin pickled onions from the jar, parboiled carrots chucked in the dish and worked around in the oil.
Quick splash of balsamic vinegar.
Sprinkle of salt.
Handful of ready-prepared breadcrumbs sprinkled on top (bought them for a special occasion - it's not as poncey as all that!)
Roasted in the oven on gas mark 6.

Great!

Even better with chunks of peppers, a bit of garlic, anything else you want to bung in as well.
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

"If your a meat eater, any bird tastes great if you stuff butter and herbs between the flesh and the skin."

MMMMMmmmmm

Which recipe book did that come from ?

Avoid "Table salt"

Use Sea Salt instead.Its healthier and you need less of it besides Table Salt tastes horrible.

I will not eat bad quality meat at all and will happily be vegetarian/wholefood if i cant get flesh of the right calibre.

Most important when making a Bolognase sauce or suchlike:

A dash of red or white wine vinegar

and a dash of Lemon juice.

Make your own ice cream  using only milk ,cream ,fruit ,honey ,nuts whatever .I dont bother using eggs as well and the lower in fat the milk and cream or dont use cream at all ,it comes out more like a sorbet.Its a bit of a labour of love as it takes 8 hrs ,stirring frequently.

And why is it so hard to get green Pasta ?

Lasagne sheets : for some reason its very  hard to get proper Lasagne sheets.Mostly its that no pre cooking required Rubbish.Horrible .Its got to be De Cocco or one of those makes and if you are really lucky you find the type that has the crimped edges.Pre cook the lasagne to al dante like you do other pasta.It wont overcook inside the Lasagne when its baking.

Cover the top of the Lasagne by sprinkling generous amounts of grated fresh Parmesan [Reggiano] over the white sauce before baking.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

House of Usher

Green pasta? Hmmmm...... Sainsbury's?
STRIKE !!!

SamuelAWilkinson

Here's my recipe for a pretty good simple 'n' lazy stew. As with just about everything else, ever, it pays to mess about with ingredients and do whatever the hell you like. It's piss-easy, though:

1-1/2 lb chopped/cubed meat (beef or turkey are both good, which probably indicates that just about anything you care to try will work)
1 large chopped carrot
1 large chopped potato
2 chopped onions
2 cups mushrooms
2 teaspoons flour
a bit of water, red wine, salt, pepper herbs, and so on and so forth
as much of your favourite/available veg as you care to involve
a tin of tomatoes

Fry up the meat in a big pan with a bit of olive oil 'till the meat is sealed.
Add everything else bar the flour, with one cup of water and one cup of wine -the tomatoes will give all the remaining liquid you need (handy, see?)
Simmer for an hour with occasional stirring, then take out about a cupful of the broth, mix well with 2tsps of flour, and return to the stew for 15 min.

Eat a damn fine stew.

I've had good results from replacing the wine with equal proportions fruit juice and whiskey, although you may understandably not wish to waste good drinkin' booze on an experimental stew. Also worth trying is a good beer, though be warned the old adage 'don't cook what you wouldn't drink' holds doubly true for beers.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

scutfink

'til recently, I never thought I  could make me own soup...

Off my facebook blog...

Mood: creative
Music: Rammstein - Mutter LP

Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients:

1 Chicken Breast (about £2-3 for 2)
Cheap Ass White Wine (around £2 a Bottle.)
Honey (70-80p per Jar)
English Mustard (Ditto)
Small Onion (10p ish...)
Double Cream (90p per tub)
Rosemary (God Knows, â??s been on the Spice Rack fâ??r ages...)
1 Chicken OXO (See above)

Method:

Put the Chicken breast in a small pan, cover it with water and boil it up for about 3-4 songs.

Meanwhile, chop up the Onion dead small. stick it in a pan and fry it gently for a song or two.

Take the Chicken out of the pan (Set the water aside for a mo.) slice it up into small chunks, then throw it in the blender untill itâ??s well shredded.

Leave the blender running while you mix the OXO in with the Chicken Water, add about 3 teaspoons of Mustard and 4 of Honey to the liquid and stir, then chuck this over the Onion.

Open the Wine and take a few swigs to get over the fact that the noise has just totally drowned out Feuer Frei

Throw the Chicken in with the rest of the ingredients and stir in about 1/4-1/3 of the tub of Cream. Bring to the boil.

Pour the whole mix back into the blender for another song (Rein Raus, bastards...)

Pour the soup back in the pan, get it boiling gently, throw in a bundle of rice noodles, a handful of rosemary and about a quater of the bottle of wine (assuming thereâ??s that much left...)

After about a song the noodles should be cooked nicely.

Serve in a bowl, finish off the wine, and put the CD back on to catch what you missed.

Soupy Twist.

Floyd-the-k

kangaroo sausages rock, especially when cooked with black bean and garlic sauce

Mikey

Everyone seems to think their chilli is the best.Patently,this is not the case as MINE is the bestest!

But...however you like your chilli,my advice is cook it long and slow if you can,till it's almost dry.I would leave it about two hours on a low heat after all the ingredients are in.Delicious!

I made my own naan bread for the first time on Saturday too,to go with Mangalorean Chicken from Anjum Anand's recent book.Supoib!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Buddy

My mum makes the best dumpling soup EVER!

Goaty

on Channel 4 at 2.30am tonight!!!

dobbsy

One for those with a sweet tooth - add a handful of Maltesers to an apple or pear crumble before putting the topping on.  Delicious little chewy honeycomb nuggets.

Jim_Campbell

Mashed Potato: add finely chopped chives. Freeze dried is surprisingly acceptable if you don't have fresh.

Alternatively, wholegrain mustard or horseradish sauce depending on what the mash will be accompanying.

Rice: I know brown rice is supposed to be the healthiest, but I find it all but undigestible. Basmati is the next best thing, and tastes much better. Find an Indian/Asian supermarket and buy a five or ten kilo sack of the stuff next to nothing.

Some people make a right song and dance over cooking rice, and I have no idea why. I've tried cooking basmati rinsed and not rinsed, and I can't tell the difference, so I never bother rinsing. YMMV on that point.

Here's how you cook basmati rice ... into a pan. 1.5x the volume of water to the volume of rice. Bring to the boil. Stir once. Stick the lid on. Turn it down as low as it will go. Leave it alone for 15 minutes.

Resist the temptation to stir. You will end up with rice pudding.

It's done. After 15 minutes, turn the heat off but leave the lid on if you're not ready. It will happily sit and steam for at least another 15 and keep its heat if the rest of the meal isn't ready. Right before you dish up, take the lid off and fluff it up with a fork. Pretty much perfect every time.

To accompany chilli, add lemon or lime juice to the water before bringing to the boil.

To make it look like you've done something posh, stick 1/4 tsp of turmeric into the water and a fistful of frozen peas before bringing to the boil.

If serving with a Thai dish, fine chop some spring onions and bung them in when you fluff up the rice at the end.

If serving with Indian, use the rice pan to soften some very finely chopped onions before you start the rice. Only use a tsp or so of oil, just enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Onions in, heat until they soften. Heat off. Rice in, water in, turmeric and peas in, back to the boil and as described above.

Works a treat.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Peter Wolf

Onion Sauce:

Slice a load of Onion.Fry it very gently and slowly in butter for as long as it takes for the onion to caramelise. Add cream and a bit of black pepper.

Good with Sausages and Mash.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death