Main Menu

The Best of 2000 AD (Sept 2008, Prion Books)

Started by Grant Goggans, 01 May, 2008, 02:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

Found via Steve Holland's wonderful Bear Alley blog, there's a host of forthcoming neat titles, including images of the first few Roy of the Rovers books, the new Modesty Blaise and James Bond 007 from Titan, and a pile of books from Prion, including collections of Look-In, Jackie, War Picture Library and... our cosmic comic?  What the heck is this?

Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-2000AD-Popular-Culture/dp/1853756687?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209580652&sr=1-18" target="_blank">To Amazon for... not much more info.

ThryllSeekyr

Wow, another must have title.

I wonder if it's a hoax.

Leigh S

It's a no-brainer to try and cash in on those best of nostalgia books that have flooded the christmas market - I'm sure I've suggested something like this before. hopefully it'll be pitched just right, so that it plays to teh christmas nostalgia crowd, but increases awareness that the prog is still kicking, and kicking strong.

ukdane

Cheers

-Daney

Steve Green

I'm surprised it hasn't been done before. I guess they were waiting to see what the sales of existing retro titles were.

I wonder what stories they'll pick for it?

numanti

I have been doing a re-read (up to prog 72 / Starlord 5 now - reading it all in order including the letters pages and nerve centres... have read this much in 8 weeks... it's getting to be a bit overly addictive...) and have been surprised that I am enjoying stuff like Dan Dare and Inferno and even Mach Zero - it has a tramp named Gimpy! -

there are a lot of clssic pulpy strips in the early progs that its possible to love for the artwork and energy alone.  Someething like this can only be good for the prog but if it is a best of I'd throw in something new to blindside the casual readers - Kingdom springs to mind :D

The Amstor Computer

Any reason why another company would be handling this instead of it being a Rebellion production?

maryanddavid

This would be a very different market than Rebellion is dealing with at the minute.
 The sales window is very small, from august to december, and the sales would have to take into account a possible over print which would have to be shifted soon after christmas at a loss.

A lot easier for rebellion to sell the rights to a handfull of stories, say thanks for the cash and produce another batch of GNs that have a nice long shelf life!

David

maryanddavid

Sorry for the double post, but it will be great to open a PROPER 2000ad  annual on christmas morning, even if it is reprints.

David

The Amstor Computer

Good points, and I suppose that it would be more sensible for Rebellion to hold to the success they've had with their own reprints and let another company take the risk on this one by licensing the rights out.

oap_slaine

Been enjoying the Savage Sword of Conan reprints, so would welcome this too. Nice to have a bumper omnibus edition.

Peter Wolf

I am interested in this book but i dont know what it will contain in it.

Theres no information yet about the content or how many pages the book has.

It says best of but i cant see there being enough pages in the book to feature complete strips so my guess is it will just have snippets of strips and probably early stuff.If its the nostalgia market they are aiming for then thats what i think will be in it but is it just straightforward reprinting of strips or will the publishers add content or comments of their own ?

If i like the content i will buy it , if not i wont.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death