Main Menu

New! Omnivistascope issue 4

Started by paulvonscott, 04 May, 2008, 09:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

Well, it's that time of year again when I must don the ceremonial mask and begin the ritual of 'The Plugging of the Comic'.  And I can't believe I'm at issue 4, ther first issue seemed all so ambitious when I started it.

This year I have the biggest and best Omnivistascope so far, many of the old favourites are in there, along with some rather exciting new strips.

I'm previewing pages in my blog.  So if you see anything that even mildly arouses your interest, then I'd be very grateful of your support.  Every comic sold is a big deal for me.

Cheerz :)

Link: http://www.omnivistascope.com/" target="_blank">Behold... The Omniblog

paulvonscott

Well, issue 4 of SF comic Omnivistascope is now out, in an 80-page special.

It is still only £3 plus £1 postage in the UK.

Here is the rather cover by Paul McCaffrey.

Link: http://www.omnivistascope.com/index.html" target="_blank">OVS

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/paulvonscott/OVS4coverweb.jpg">

WoD

paulvonscott

Here is the rather *lovely* cover by Paul McCaffrey.

Correct, lovely was the missing word!

Looks pretty good inside too.  If anyone wants something different and exciting to read, I'd recommend the latest issue.

Jim_Campbell

Blimey, Mike Donaldson has come a fair old way since his (already fairly impressive) work in Violent a few years back ...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

House of Usher

It's superb! It's always impressive to see a dozen stories in a single anthology *mostly* by a single author. I couldn't come up with so many stories in a decade, let alone every year without fail.

The Bodyclock Murders is my favourite, I must say. It's richly textured and about so many things simultaneously; yet all the various elements of it sit happily together as social satire. It's a smashing little morsel of retro dystopian sci-fi that weaves together elements of Logan's Run and The Trouble With Lichen, and Paul McCaffrey's artwork is my favourite artwork in the whole comic.

Solitary Confinement was also richly textured (repeating myself already! - Omnivistascope in its infinite variety has surely beaten me). I liked the sci-fi plot device: I've pondered something similar myself, but not taken it to the terrible logical conclusion Paul has here.

From a Dark Star They Came was like the background to the grimmest, most gothic episode that could possibly come out of the current run of Doctor Who (sorry Paul!), with amazing artwork by Bryan Coyle - he really does just keep getting better and better.

'In... Secticide!' has got to be the best Keegan Jask adventure yet. The story reminds me of The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You! and I'm quite confident in asserting that this is the best artwork Leigh Shepherd's done yet.

Ben and Chris's strip is scarily atmospheric and has a great and rather hopeless premise.

The serious strips are bleak and gothic as ever (killer cars, supernatural monsters, hideous transformations); and the Dark Shadows text feature was a bit of a revelation. Having only watched a few episodes on the sci-fi channel years ago until I got bored with it, it was refreshing to read such a well-written article by a genuine fan.

I won't give a verdict on every strip, but I will say that just flipping through it to write about it has made me like Omnivistascope 4 even more.
STRIKE !!!

satchmo

Paul's cover really stopped people in their tracks, it's a superb image!
I too think this is the best Keegan Jask yet, the honeycomb panel layouts are really impressive.
I'm pleased you enjoyed the Dark Shadows article David, it's the longest (semi) sensible thing I've written since I was at University and I wasn't sure what people would make of it!

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laYDeKfvs6A" target="_blank">What are you doing here, Carolyn?

Radbacker

Liked the first three of these so you'll probably get mail from my mate again Paul to get one sent out here, be a couple of weeks though so hold onto one for me if you can.

CU Radbacker

Dunk!

Got my copy yesterday.

Simply fantastic.

Dunk.
"Trust we"

Bolt-01

Finally sat down with this last night for a good read.

Superb issue. Think it is possibly my fave to date. Paul Macaffreys art gets better every time (I'd love to see him in the prog) and the strips with Chris Geary were all solid and well told. Especially the Zoog one.

Huge love for Satch's strip. Really atmospheric and a nice touch to do the lettering in a similar style to V.

The only strip I'm going to have to read again is the previous stories for the Juggerman. I didn't really get this one.

If you haven't ordered a copy yet, do so- This is such a good book.

Bolt-01

paulvonscott

Many thanks for the comments, chapoids.

Certainly not everything works the way you expect it to in comics, but it's very difficult to be your own judge I think. So I'll take it all, the good, bad and indifferent and try and put what I've learned into the next issue.

There will be a chance to try it at the PrestonPans one day event on the 31st, the last Saturday of this month.  As always, I refuse to beg you to buy it, but if you think it looks interesting, by all means take a punt :)

Floyd-the-k

PVS, if I finish this assignment, I'm buying Omnivistascope as a reward, partly out of compassion for your worthy efforts, partly because I like getting nice shiny things from overseas and partly because I've just read a rave review of OVS in an old Megazine.

yours, dragging himself back to 'inclusive education'