Main Menu

Anyone here own an iPod touch?

Started by James, 08 May, 2008, 01:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

I'm gonna get an iPod. My Creative has given it's last and the time has come.

Question is, do I get a 80GB classic for £160 or a refurbished 16GB Touch for £190? I'm leaning towards the Classic, but the lure of the Touch is tempting me.

I only ever had about 10GB on my 20GB Creative so i'm wondering what i'd do with the extra storage on the classic.

Anyway. Advice please.

Buddy

ming

I have one.  I like it a lot, and I think once you've started zooming about with it, going back to anything else will seem clunky, I think.  Aside from music, it's very handy to be able to read the paper*, check my mail, use Google Maps, etc. on the go.  I'm sure I could do a lot more with it than I do, but I've been more than happy with it since day one.  I had a software update niggle, but that was probably due in part to my creaking PowerBook and a buggy new version of iTunes (I reinstalled the previous version and it was fine again).

* the double-tap to zoom columns to full width is just great.

IndigoPrime

Personally, I'd hang on a few months to see if the new iPhone appears, which will mean a new touch also.

pauljholden

I have one - it's great, much better when it's been hacked (there's some software out there at the moment that's really easy) so you can add games, text readers, and all sorts of things. I like that I can check my email from anywhere.

I have lots of music on there but mostly use it for browsing the internet and reading email.

- pj

James

So do you have to be using a wifi hotspot to check email, or does it work some other way(magic, perhaps, or maybe tiny little pixies living inside it)?

WoD

I was wondering that...I though pj had the iphone.

pauljholden

It only works if there's a wifi hotspot nearby. But most built up areas will have one nearby and McDonalds, in the UK, are giving free wifi via The Cloud.

- pj
(I only really use mine at home, my parents house or the office - although I do like walking up the street checking the wifi connections for the loopy names, and seeing how many sci-fi/comic fans there are by looking at the network names)

Art

Weren't you on the chat via iPhone a while ago?

My paln was to wiat for the 9" screen Asus EEE, and get that as a portable wifi writing/email/surfing  device, but it turns out they've gone insane and want to charge a silly amount of mony for it, so I'm a bit stuck.

James

Cheers for the advice kids, i've gone for a Touch. It's a refurbished model so i'm hoping it's ok.

Jim_Campbell

"I have one - it's great, much better when it's been hacked"

Bear in mind that when iPhone 2.0 comes out (smart money is on the announcement at WWDC08 June 9-13), not only the iPhone but the Touch will be open to official third party developers.

Particularly, bear in mind that Apple have not excluded VOIP apps, meaning that your Touch could well act as an iPhone anywhere that you can get onto wifi ...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

pauljholden

I'll be interested in seeing what apps are going to be available. I suspect that iPhone 2.0 will be hacked shortly afterwards anyways - allowing a wider range of software (there's a number of limits in place for official iPhone apps that won't exist for the hacked apps.)

-pj

James

happy birthday to me! I'm typing this from my touch! yay!

pauljholden

Hurrah, I give it a couple of days before you lose it down the back of the sofa (as I have just done for the nth time)

-pj
also: happy birthday.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

happy birthday James hope the novelty doesn't wear out anytime soon.