Main Menu

2000AD May/June Art Compo: RESULTS THREAD

Started by Jim_Campbell, 12 July, 2008, 09:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bongo Jack

That's pretty much it, Jim.
There's no specific era from which to draw inspiration, or any guidelines to what it has to be.  Just take something from popular culture and 2000ad-ify it, creating what (in your opinion) looks like a potential series, or - and I admit that I suspect this as being far more likely - take the piss.
I merely drew upon the spirit of 2000ad of old (when the 'inspiration' for stuff like MACH 1 wasn't exactly hard to spot) to give you an idea, not to tie you to any specific period or style.  It can be a cover, a promo image, a sequence of panels, or even an actual pitch, as I don't see any reason writers can't get involved with a competition about ideas.  Okay, the 'art' bit of 'art competition' might be a sticking point, but where's the harm?  It's only a bit of fun.
You can do quite a lot with any given starting point - Synnamon was apparantly 'hard science fiction in the style of Iain Banks' according to Tharg himself, so you can take 2001, bung in a leather-clad slapper with a comedy talking robot sidekick in the grand tradition of Rob Schneider and Bob's your uncle - instant 2000ad classic for the ages.
You can even just come up with tag lines for old strips if you want.  As you can tell, I still find 'In the style of Iain Banks' hysterical, and would probably buy that t-shirt.
Live forever or die trying

TordelBack

Wait, wait... Synnamon was supposed to be a riff on the Culture's Special Circumstances operatives?  How the hell did I miss that, seeing as she has a drone companion and everything.  That's a pretty clever idea, now I feel the urge to re-read it in that light - that can't be a good idea, surely.  Sorry, sorry, please resume yer artistic rumblings.

Hoagy

Harry Twenty has to be riffing off Papillon hasn't it? Or the other Steve McQueen escape epic?

I'm reading Papillon at the moment. S*itting good read!
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Buttonman

Do you mean like this only funnier, better drawn and without the Partridge quote?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "Buttonman"Do you mean like this only funnier, better drawn and without the Partridge quote?

Always with the self-deprecation, BM, but, yeah ... I think that's pretty much spot on!

Of course, in the finest tradition of Art Competitions, taking our lead from the incomparable John Byrne Forum's approach, I hereby declare you disqualified for posting an entry early and to the wrong thread. Oh, and you're banned, and an asshole. And stuff.

Up yours, loser!

</Byrne>
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mini-Bolt

woooohoooo i got the most honourable mentions looking forward to the next compo :D

The Monarch

Can you take an existing 2000ad story and give it an tv theme?

for example

Father Dredd= father ted (but if this is okay thats my idea....)

Bongo Jack

2000ad does that all the time, be it in Dreddworld one-off classics like the Snozzbournes, or those old reader art things they don't do anymore.
I'm sure whatever you want to try is fine, as the actual compo theme is usually quite a loose brief.
Live forever or die trying