Main Menu

Your Science Fiction Classic Novels

Started by paulvonscott, 27 July, 2008, 12:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "magpie ella"Baroque Cycle Baroque Cycle Baroque Cycle!

About to go buy Quicksilver as a birthday present for my dad. Unquestionably good stuff. Not really sci-fi, not really fantasy, definitely brilliant.

It's fiction about science. How can that not be Science Fiction?

Except, of course, that we're not supposed to call it Science Fiction. SF is Speculative Fiction, don't'cha know?

But, yeah, The Baroque Cycle is fantastic ... although Cryptonomicon was published first, I read it last and it seemed to make sense to do it that way. All four books are, by turns, very funny, fiercely intelligent and full of rousing action scenes.

Unreservedly recommended.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote...although Cryptonomicon was published first, I read it last and it seemed to make sense to do it that way.

Ditto.  A whiskey chaser of the finest type.

TheEdge

Not classics at the moment but i'd look out for EE Knights Vampire Earth series they are extremly good, concentrating on postapocaliptic guerilla warfare and tactics its very good
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

Proudhuff

Anything by P.K Dick or William Gibson, also anything  by Richard Morgan: (except the one about yuppies).

Wyham's Triffids and Kraken Awake are also well worth a visit, but for visions of a future from past as it were.
DDT did a job on me

jonvonbekmek

:ugeek: as a starter try Damnation alley by roger zelazny, or Friday by robert heinlein. And dont forget Deathworld trilogy
 and Stainless steel Rat books by harry harrison