Main Menu

MEG 280 - CHEW ON THIS!

Started by Satanist, 07 January, 2009, 11:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satanist

Wa-hoo bagged first of the noo year.
But I aint read it yet.
Colin Wilson collection don't have enough Wagner Dredd for my liking.
Al Ewing on Dredd
Article on Watchmen
Letters page
And due to the art I might just go back and read Tank Girl.

over tae Ewe...
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Leigh S

What's that upstart Ewing doing having THE Colin Wilson on his Dredd strip?

Ah, he's doing a very good Dredd it seems! carry on.

honestly, thats a great Dredd first part - the vibe is spot on Mega City, and I was particularly taken by the bloodthirsty clients - great stuff!

Jim_Campbell

Still working through it. Enjoying it. A lot.

Everytime I find myself becoming a bit disheartened with the Meg, it manages to do something I can never quite put my finger on and comes back up in my estimation. Good stuff!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Proudhuff

The Meg back to firing on all cyclinders again, Dredd a fine start, enjoying the Young dumb and full of spunk Cit-Def story: the artwork is just right for this story, Tank girl has just the right amount of sillyness to make it better than the 80s stories (imho), still wish the Film Review would just go away, as it doesn't chime with what I like and seldom recommends anything that I would want to see, nor indeed alerts me to anything under the radar that I would go out of my way to see.

A big fat 8/10 for this, only a letter from me would have made it a nine and no Film review a 10!
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

oh, and the Colin Wislon Trade Floppy is good, hadn't read the 1st one before and the rest are fine, but what is it with Robbie and scorpions?
DDT did a job on me

Waddie

Was Insurrection originally going to be a Warhammer Monthly script that Abnett's recycled?

I, Cosh

Quote from: "Waddie"Was Insurrection originally going to be a Warhammer Monthly script that Abnett's recycled?
It certainly looks like a Warhammer strip with a few eagles and SJS banners stuck on for good measure. That doesn't make it bad though. I'm quite enjoying it so far, despite the art.

Citi-Def is also pretty entertaining. Being a tedious, pedantic fanboy, I'd prefer it if it wasn't a Dreddworld strip as a few elements jar with the way citi-def have generally been portrayed in the past, but I'm happy to accept that as part and parcel of pimping a strip for the Meg.

Dredd's the standout by a mile this month. Another quality MC1 idea and set up accompanied by lovely art from Wilson which is really enhanced by the colourist: check the supplement for evidence.
We never really die.

stacey

I'm really enjoying Insurrection, and I love the artwork I think it's gorgeous.
Tank Girl is really fun and I liked the flashback and the bowlcut hairdo.
I'm enjoying CitiDef, I wasn't sure after the first part but I like the story but I'm not keen on the artwork it's a little cartoony for my tastes.  
I don't think Al Ewing has written many Dredds has he? It's funny because it reads like he's been doing it forever, hes geet good like as they say up here.  Well as I say anyway.

I thought the Meg was really good this month, I liked the interview with Tony Lee and the Colin Wilson trade thingy was great.  I've only been reading the 2000AD and The Meg for about a year so most of the stories in the trades are new and interesting for me, which is nice.

Van Dom

Has anybody in Ireland found a copy of this issue in shops yet? Havent been able to find it in any of the usual shops its sold in. Anyone know where - in dublin area - I might track a copy down or has it simply not come out over here yet?
Thanks
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Proudhuff

from the number of replies on this thread not many people have found it anywhere!    :roll:
DDT did a job on me

+rufus+

I really enjoyed the Dredd! It was fantastic to see Colin drawing Dredd again!

McKennsy

Quote from: "Van Dom"Has anybody in Ireland found a copy of this issue in shops yet? Havent been able to find it in any of the usual shops its sold in. Anyone know where - in dublin area - I might track a copy down or has it simply not come out over here yet?
Thanks

I'm in Cork and I cant find it either. This happened a few times last year with 200AD, it just didnt appear. I've never seen it happen with the Meg though.

Trout

I've been busy lately, so I kind of skimmed a lot of it. I really liked Insurrection.

- Trout

Hoagy

I really liked this meg. from cover to back page. All the stories are good in writing and art.
The stage each story is at is extra thrilling as each has been introduced then layed out whats going on clearly and attractively. The massive difference in styles is certainly uplifting but the fact that they sit so cosily together extenuates this overall.
All the colour strips had my action addiction fixed but it was the cool, collected strategem in Insurrection which gave lasting effects. I think Colin McNiell has gets better and better. The best is yet to come from this man I'll wager. I think he's brilliant.

Upping the ante again, is rufus playing around with his colours. I noticed he'd gone more air brush than previously or I suspect he's been leaning towards this style and now mastered it. My eyeball rash may just be blurring my vision tho and I'm totally off the mark.

The features which grant me with more compressed reading, were punchily written to a point where I'm thinking the journos are stepping into their stride. Especially loved the Watchmen pieces. It is  the film review I slow at. I'll usually go for the largest segment of review but the tapering off reviews don't keep my attention. But, everyone does that, and I still like its routine round-up.

The letters are good for a laugh and finding alternate p.o.v to finally rest my own verdict with.

All in all a fine companion.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Steven Sterlacchini

Thanks for collecting nearly all the Colin Wislon Dredd's I'd missed during a little absence, very considerate of Tharg. Cheers.