Main Menu

Are we too old for this?

Started by thejudgemuffin, 07 February, 2009, 03:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bouwel

Hmm. I think that Celebrity Death-Match Horse Riding has a certain ring to it. Plus it's a fun game all the family can join in with!

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Peter Wolf

Anyone for a game of Bridge ??

My Dad enjoys a game of golf.I dont but he doesnt share the view that comics are just for children and doesnt say that i am too old to draw characters or strips and neither does anyone else i know/related to.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

thejudgemuffin

I think the one phrase that answers my question is the fact that someone came up with this:

"Golf with chainsaws on a mine-field!!!"

And I can pretty much guarantee that there wouldn't be a talkback on a football forum that involved that phrase...

I am proud to read 2000ad since I was 11 (whenever that was...fair spot on the year mishap). I always used to call them interest magazines instead of comics to my mum...until it started to sound a bit dodgy...
To that point she always recalls the one occasion when I didn't tidy my room and she came up and ripped up my 2000ad in front of me as punishment. She says that there and then she realised she had made the biggest mistake possible. I was about 13 and remember the issue which it was. She felt so ashamed that she bought a replacement in the week for me.

I guess I am sick of people sneering but you are all right, at least my weekend isn't made or destroyed by the performance of a football team I have no influence over...It is made by my 2000ad...and for that I am proud.

Thanks guys

Colin YNWA

Does this attitude really still exist, outside of a few exceptions? I think acceptance of comics has come a longgggg way. As a teenager in the 80s I remember I went through stages of being to embarrassed to get um out on the bus home from my comics shop. These days I flaunt them without a care in public. Either this is cos I have the maturity and confidence that comes as you get older and/or cos people really don't think comics are just for kids anymore. Even if they don't understand them.

Lets face it we're in the age of the nerd. Lord of the Rings made dragons and goblins acceptable, its cool to watch Doctor Who. Excessive computer game playing and the nerd genre's that brings with it, run rampant through middle England. For pities sake even something as ridiculous and nerdy as Harry Potter brings no shame on folk.  The number of comic book movies, even if its not persuading people to read comics is adding to a general feeling I have that comics might even be a little tiny bit cool to real folk these days.

Or am I deluding myself?

Robin Low

Quote from: "ctaylor"Or am I deluding myself?

Every month, Dave Langford's SF/fantasy newsletter Ansible has at least one quote in its As Others See us column. This feature is now available to dip into randomly. Enjoy:

http://news.ansible.co.uk/others.php

Regards

Robin

PsychoGoatee

You never get to old to rock, no way baby.

Ronnie James Dio is 66.

The lesson here, we can still read comics, because they rock.  8-)

Kev Levell

Quote from: "psychogoatee"Ronnie James Dio is 66.

I'd have chosen Jimmy Page (65) but I agree - 2000AD rocks. If you read it, you rock too! :twisted:

Devons Daddy

comics my addiction of choice,
am i too old, NO. i am never to old to do what i enjoy.
2000ad and other comics are one of lifes finest pleasures for me.

till i am unable to turn the pages i shall be a subscriber.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: "ctaylor"As a teenager in the 80s I remember I went through stages of being to embarrassed to get um out on the bus. These days I flaunt them without a care in public.

If you are able to still laugh at this, you are not too old for comics!

Steev :-)

stacey

I find it more of a problem actually buying comics for my kids!  She gets the Beano everyweek and she loves Jill Thompsons Magic Trixie books. She is reading a Wizard of Oz adaption at the moment.  She loves Owly but apart from those I struggle to get her stuff, that isn't more mag then comic.  Suggestions please guys - shes 8!  

This is my usual argument for people who ask if comics are for kids, not that I've been asked much - more likely if I'm reading my prog I'll get some remark about me being a girl. Imagine that a girl reading a comic, theres tons of us now we're not that out of the norm surely?

monty--

About 5 years ago, I read in the Meg that 2000ad's target audience was for 11 years olds. So yeah. Far too old.

SuperSurfer

Few years ago I looked for ages to find 2k in a newsagent and then found it next to Barney comic where the newsagent displayed it. On the basis of that, yes,we are too old for this.

Dandontdare

Barney's too educational and he never bites any humans' heads off. Crap dinosaur.

On a more serious note, I often marvel at my local libraries who like to put all their (many) graphic novels in the children & young adults section. I get many odd looks as I negotiate past the tiny chairs and dinosaur posters to get to the comics, but if anyone questions it, I only need to show them a copy of Preacher or Lucifer to get my point across. makes you wonder what the librarians are thinking though!

thejudgemuffin

right I have made peace with myself, I am not too old for this...people are constantly being distracted and impressed with technology and other gadgets and gizmos and I guess I was just lucky that I found my obsession a long time ago and it was paper based.

I am what I am....cue for a song, and what I am is a proud comic reader....stand proud brothers and sisters and wait for the day not too far in the future when after walking out of a Danny Boyle produced Dredd film we can say, "Oh you've never read it?!? You're missing a treat...in fact let me tell you about the Judge Child......."

Soon my compadres soon!