Main Menu

Judge Minty (Judge Dredd fan film)

Started by Steven Sterlacchini, 17 February, 2009, 10:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Yeah, the important thing is to find somewhere where we can get permission, and that's not too expensive.

For example, most of the derelict places that have been suggested are either impossible to get hold of the landowners, or they don't want to know because the H&S is too much effort.

Other places we've looked at have wanted £1500 a day to film at, which is not something we can afford.

We don't want to risk it without permission, as it would be highly wasteful (not to mention embarassing) to get to a place with a bunch of people and get shut down by someone.

CraveNoir

Have you tried abandoned RAF bases, or similar?
Members on the 28dayslater forum might have suggestions.
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk

Teivion

Funny you should say that,
Operation Chastity's trailer was shot on an old airbase.
Thing is- vegetation is a no-no, so most of them are pretty overgrown.
The best we did find was Shoreham Cement works, looked stunning- but got a very quick "NO!" from them!

D

Steven Sterlacchini

Probably not all of them. I'll keep looking.

'28 Days Later' and 'Derelictplaces.co.uk' are excellent resources, but they tend to enter places without permission, for short periods in small numbers. Some times there's a public footpath to give them access, but if you want to film on some ones property, even if there is public access, you need to have permission, especially if you're waving toy guns in the air  ;).

But please keep the suggestions coming!

Steven

Dunk!

On that Patwagon design: Which way is forward/the cockpit?
"Trust we"

Hoagy

We've got some great old abandoned quarries around Buxton. I'll find you a map if you're interested, of the quarry locations.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Steve Green

Quote from: Dunk! on 25 January, 2011, 02:13:45 PM
On that Patwagon design: Which way is forward/the cockpit?

You'd have to ask Jake...

I get the feeling it doesn't have a front as such, it's more of a viewing platform, so it can fly either way.

Richmond Clements

Albion

Quote from: Teivion on 25 January, 2011, 02:00:40 PM
The best we did find was Shoreham Cement works,

That would have been great. I walked around there a few years ago when a friend was a night security guard there. It's a big site, it goes way back from the road. I guess health and safety was probably an issue with them. There's also a tunnel under the road that goes to the other site opposite. Real shame they said no.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

John Caliber

I don't know what kind of budget the makers of Judge Minty are dealing with, but would it be more or less costly to create an artificial wasteland, just big enough for actors to walk a few steps and re-arrange as necessary, then green-screen the background and lay in a CGI matte? I hear it's supposed to be far cheaper to do these kinds of things, but what's the reality of the situation?
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

vzzbux

I would like to suggest somewhere in Leicestershire but this is a very green county.
We have quite a few quarries but the inactive ones are brimming with life and/or full of water.
Perhaps that could be an avenue for you. Do a search for inactive quarries for your locations.
This is Markfield Quarry just off junction 22 of the M1.
From a quick search this is probably the best that I know of, but I am sure there are better ones around the country.
http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/Leicestershire/Markfield/pictures/1037867

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Richmond Clements

QuoteJealous.

Yes, it is rather nice. The place in the picture is awesome- at the top of the highest road in the UK. We took a walk across there a while back (in the summer) and it's like Mars or something.

Steven Sterlacchini

Quote from: Krombasher on 25 January, 2011, 04:16:31 PM
We've got some great old abandoned quarries around Buxton. I'll find you a map if you're interested, of the quarry locations.

Yep, I've been in touch with a few. It was a big no from them, especially anything owned by TARMAC, even ones that had been disused for years. If you know any ones owned by smaller companies let me know.

Cheers for the picture Rich, there are loads of places in Scotland, but we're trying to keep it central, if possible.

Steven

Richmond Clements

Heh, no worries- I'm really just showing off!