Main Menu

2000AD Art "Heavyweights"

Started by Jim_Campbell, 01 March, 2009, 12:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

So ... this month's art comp got me thinking ...

If you ask me to name the "heavyweights" of 2000AD's art droids, the list comes surprisingly easily: Ezquerra, McMahon, Gibbons, O'Neill, Gibson, Belardinelli.

We could quibble over what the definition of "heavyweight" is, but I'm thinking of artists who have been the backbone of the title, who have defined its look and its tone over multiple series.

Thus, by my thinking, Ron Smith doesn't make it because he was really only ever a Dredd artist (albeit a definitive one) - some bloody awful Rogue Trooper stuff and Chronos Carnival doesn't cut it. Likewise, Brian Bolland for the same reason. Alan Davis doesn't make it because he didn't actually do that much work for Tharg ...

And then I found myself wondering about artists I'd left off that list ... and I can't explain why some of them aren't on that 'first out of the mental gate' list. Particularly Cam Kennedy, whose Rogue Trooper and Judge Dredd are RIGHT up there with anyone on my 'heavyweight' list. Bung the VCs in there and he should be there, but somehow isn't. This is odd, since anyone who has read more than about eight of my posts will know that I absolutely fucking LOVE Cam Kennedy's artwork.

And then I realized that I was in 1970s-old-fart mode, that there have been decent art droids since then. So ... if we disqualify the first (say) five years of 2000AD, then who do we then nominate as heavyweights ...? Steve Yeowell gets my vote - Zenith, Dredd, Maniac 5, Detonator X, Red Seas (we're not mentioning 'A Life Less Ordinary'), as does Colin MacNeill, and Frazer Irving.

Who have I missed? Help me out here!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Ignatzmonster

D'Israeli is a big heavyweight for me. He constantly tweaks his style to fit the story he's on but never at the cost of the story. Stickleback, The Vort, and the upcoming Lowlife are obviously by the same artist but each is immediately distinguishable. Said it too many times but I'll say it again: our generations McMahon.

Like all of the ones you mentioned above. Especially McNeill who has won me over in the last three years.  Would also add Simon Fraser, Henry Flint, and Charlie Adlard. Adlard is busy on a great comic so I don't resent his absence, but I think Flint needs to return to tooth.

In the future I would probably be amenable to adding Elson, Coleby, Burns, and Langley.

JamesC

I would possibly add Bret Ewins.
He may not have done that much compared to some other droids,but when I first got into 2000AD in the 80's he was doing all the pictures of Tharg in 2000ad and the Best Of as well as Bad Company, Anderson and quite a few pin ups. His art just sums up 80's 2000AD for me.

Bouwel

Personally I'd add Chris Western for his work on Indigo Prime, especially 'Killing Time'. For me this was one strip that just lept out of the page at you when you read it. And who can forget death by harp!

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

W. R. Logan

Ezquerra for Dredd & Stront

McMahon for everything he touched

Dave Gibbons for Rogue Trooper

Henry Flint who just seems to be able to channel old school feeling on any strip he does.

Cam Kennedy for anything he does but if he'd only ever done Midnight Surfer he'd be on my likst

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Arther Ranson is a major heavyweight to me. His work on Anderson, Button Man and Mazeworld is just wonderful.

Pete Wells

Bah, we gotta stick Bisley in there. He shaped a generation of artists and went on to be huuuuge.

It's a difficult thread this 'cos the whole reason for being a 2000AD heavyweight changes with the different periods of the comic. There's the:

Old style heavyweights - Bolland, Ezquerra, Kennedy, McMahon, Gibson, Gibbons & O'Neil. A large body of consistently excellent 2000AD work that shaped the comic and inspired generations of artists. deservidly, many have gone on to be massive in the industry. It's hard not to put Ewins and MacCarthy in here but I don't know enough about their impact outside of 2000AD. Conversely, Talbot, Davis and Lloyd deserve a mention but did they do enough 2000AD work?

Second generation heavyweights - Bisley and Weston. Both came along during 2000AD's rough patch but both have made a significant impact on the industry. I'd be tempted to pop Staples in here too but again, his comic work outside of 2000AD is questionable.

Modern/Current heavyweights - Flint, MacNeil, Jock, D'Isrealli, Ezquerra, Rufus, Irving and Fraiser. All of these make you sit up and take notice as you know that these fellas are only going to handed on important strips. Also know that their work is going to knock your fricken socks off.

I'm sure I've missed loads and my comic knowledge outside of 2000AD is very limited so apologies if I've pissed anyone off!

Pete Wells

Gonna stick Langley to my modern list, just for his sublime use of computer art.

Toni Scandella

All of the names so far are spot on, for all of the reasons listed.

I'd have to add Steve Dillon to the list.  His Dredd work was superb.
I'm also going to add that Rufus Dayglo is fast becomming a favourite.

BPP

Dear oh dear,

Dear oh dear oh dear.....

BELARDINELLI!

Harlem Heroes, Blackhawk, Dan Dare, Mean Team, future shocks galore, Flesh.... ACE TRUCKING.

Would we have Flints bonzoid alien fest of Shakara without Belardinelli?
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "BPP"Dear oh dear,

Dear oh dear oh dear.....

BELARDINELLI!

Err ... he's right there in my first post on this thread.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

I find myself drawn to include the post-Gibbons Holy Trinity of Rogue Trooper:  Ewins, Wilson and Kennedy.  What a body of work that is, and added to their work on Dredd (and others) you have a huge part of the look of 2000AD as it moved through its fifth year and beyond.

I agree that Ron Smith is an absolutely essential Dredd artist, but not necessarily a first-rank 2000AD artist.

Of the most recent decade, three artists that elicit an involuntary cheer every time I see that they are in the Prog are D'Israeli, Irving and Flint.

JamesC

Does anyone know who designed the classic early logos? Was it Kevin O'Neill? If it was down to one person (and it probably wasn't) I'd say that whoever designed the early title logos and the classic Dredd, Rogue Tooper and Strontium Dog Logos would be in the heavyweight category.
Also I would argue that Bolland should be in the heavyweight category simply for all the excellent covers he produced for Titan and Eagle reprints, thus bringing 2000AD thrill power to audiences beyond the comic itself.  I got into 2000AD through reading Titan reprints borrowed from a friend. It was Bolland's awesome cover to The Cursed Earth Book 1 that made me want to read it in the first place.

BPP

Quote from: "Jim_Campbell"
Quote from: "BPP"BELARDINELLI!

Err ... he's right there in my first post on this thread.

Cheers

Jim

Yes I know but everyone else ignores him.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Buddy