Main Menu

Manga

Started by Pagangirl, 22 August, 2002, 06:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddboy

I did get the first few issues of Crisis when it was first published, but stopped after 3 or 4.  I think it was too political for my young brain at the time (or perhaps it *was* just crap).  I don't remember what I did with them but I definitly don't have them anymore.  There's plenty of other stuff higher up on the wish list at the moment anyway.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Marbles

PVs just reminded me of Mills/O'Neills 'Death Race 2020(?)'. Brilliantly funny strip - lasted maybe 5 or 6 issues ??
I hope to christ I didnt throw them out years ago during one of my irregular comic purges. Will have to check the archives in the dank cellars here at Marbles Mansion tnt.
Anyway that w/be an excellent reprint in the Meg.
As for manga, I've never really tried it on a consistent basis and to be introduced to it in bite sized chunks via the Meg w/be cool.
The current 'Lone Wolf 2100' mini series is a US style manga series that is excellent and another potential reprint.
Personally (sorry I know I've said this before) I think Rebellion could be in a good position to launch a UK reprint anthology title to capitalise on the captive 2k market. Call it 'Beyond 2000 Monthly' or somesuch. Reprint best of Manga, European, US and old British strips that Dredd fans would like. (Sort of like a UK 'Metal Hurlant').And obviously as a compliment to and not instead of all new 2k stuff.
Anyway I suggested this before and we all agreed it was a dumb idea so I won't go on....
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Oddboy

I thought we all agreed that it would be a superb idea but that Rebellion wouldn't do it?

If you can get the rights to Hellboy, why not other stuff?  I'm sure a Megazine style/size/price monthly anthology filled with non-2k strips would be cost-efficient.

The Amstor Computer

The first 14-20 issues of Crisis were a bad place to start. From around #30 onward, the content improved greatly, both in quality & variety, and by the time you reached issues #40-50, it was at its best.

I wouldn't recommend the early issues of Crisis to anyone but a completist - or a fan of Pat Mills' really political work. Third World War takes up around half of each issue, and while the art is (mostly) fantastic, the story is... hard-going, to say the least ;-)

If you're a fan of Garth Ennis, then I'd definitely recommend the later issues, as some of his earliest published work features (Troubled Souls being a particularly good one) regularly. Paul Grist fans might also want to check it out for Insiders - lovely art, and a surprisingly good script from Mark Millar.

The Amstor Computer

---If you can get the rights to Hellboy, why not other stuff? I'm sure a Megazine style/size/price monthly anthology filled with non-2k strips would be cost-efficient---

Maybe because the Hellboy strip is around 8 years old? Most of the other stuff suggested was far more recent (LOEG springs to mind) and is still making money for the publishers. Securing reprint rights for the more high-profile stuff would probably be quite a bit more expensive than picking up Laz Churchyard & Hellboy.

Marbles

Yeh I agree Oddboy, I mean reprints must be cheaper than original material or why did the Meg go in for them a while ago with Preaceher et al when it was in financial trouble ?
If Rebellion did something like this and made some money at it, then they would have more to invest in original 2k stuff, which would be even better.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

The Amstor Computer

---If Rebellion did something like this and made some money at it, then they would have more to invest in original 2k stuff, which would be even better---

...But that assumes that people will keep on buying the Meg if it fills up with reprint. I know that I stopped buying the Megazine when it was down to one new Dredd story, with the rest of the mag being filled with Preacher reprints.

Oddboy

NO NO NO NO NO!
We're talking about making the Megazine 100% original material and making a *seperate* reprint mag ("The Best Of Beyond 2000AD" or something) that would be of similar size/price to the Meg.
Money made off the Best Of reprints would/could be used to pay for more *original* Megazine stories.

The Amstor Computer

Gah! My apologies - I thought we were talking about adding more reprint to the Megazine.

Anyway, I'd go for that in principle, but I suspect that it may be more expensive & more complicated securing reprint rights than we think.

Over to the editorial droids, methinks...

Mk13

Just out of interest, there actually *was* a Dredd manga comic in Japan around the time the film came out, but by all accounts it was rubbish, and was never translated into English.

Never seen a copy personally tho.

While we're on the subject, I noticed in one of the Viz manga reprints (think it was Goku: Midnight Eye), that in one of the stories there are security guards with very familiar-looking shoulderpads and belt-buckles. Dunno where the artist picked up the Dredd influence from though.

Trout

I would support the idea of reprints with a 2K link, like The Last American.
But let's not limit it to US stuff.

I liked New Statesmen and have the GNs. I also thought bits and pieces of Revolver were fun, especially Dare (although I never knew how it ended. Rape? Ugh.)

Can I throw some other suggestions into the mix?

How about Deadline stuff like Brett Ewins on Johnny Nemo, or even some of Warrior/A1 etc strips, like the Bojeffries Saga?

"The car alarms are we
"Hark to our rap-so-dee!"

Class.

- Trout

paulvonscott

Fuck being grumpy blackblood.  I read it with an open mind you ****, Grant Morrison obviously disliked dan dare and what he was at a fairly deep level.  This was obvious from the story even before Morrison raped him.  

I bought the comic largely on the grounds of him and ryan hughes at the time, as I wasn't a dan dare fan in any huge way (except the seventies version).  So it's not that I'm precious about the character.

He did the same with britney spears in zenith, and you can give me as much 'dark humour' or 'ironic statement' comments as you like, I've heard it all before.

I've read a few Morrison comics where he perpetrates violence against characters or characters who represent ideals he doesn't believe in.  I find it pretty sickening.

It's even worse when you hear him go on about the connection between what he writes and his perception of reality in relation to his strips.

The Amstor Computer

---Fuck being grumpy blackblood. I read it with an open mind you ****, Grant Morrison obviously disliked dan dare and what he was at a fairly deep level. This was obvious from the story even before Morrison raped him---

Uhh... charming.

Sorry if you took the "grumpy" jibe the wrong way - it was meant as a friendly tweak - and the comment about reading with an open mind was meant for potential readers, not as a dig at you.

Anyway, to briefly answer:

I agree with your feelings on the Zenith special one-off. I found it unpleasant and there was a feeling of contempt that seemed to stretch to include the magazine itself. IMO, it should never have seen print, but INTE (I'm Not The Editor - good shorthand for crap editorial decisions ;-))

As for Dare... I didn't think he was tearing into the ideals Dare stood for, or Dare himself. Dare came off as naive, with a misplaced faith in his country and the system he was a part of, but a decent man nonetheless.

W. R. Logan

>PVs just reminded me of Mills/O'Neills 'Death Race 2020(?)'. Brilliantly funny strip - lasted maybe 5 or 6 issues ??

can't remember the exact number as I can't dig th ebox out without waking the wife up, there's at least 8 issues.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

P.S. apologies for not being able to find a Kev O'Neill cover to use with this message.

Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/theclassof79" target="_blank">Class Of '79 Yahoo Group

http://www.fama.net/Fama_Comics/Death_Race_2020.jpg">

paulvonscott

I'm really interested in death race 2000 for a few reasons, 1. Pat and Kevin, 2. Death race 2000 3. It seems to me the sort of thing that would slip into the meg quite nicely.

I can't imagine that would have been read by too many readers either.  I'm opposed to Marshal Law appearing (even though I am a fan) because it's already widely available.  But I'm sure there are lots of other gems out there readers would love.  How about reprinting the colour version of Metalzoic?  The GN is putting it mildly, sumptious.

Anyone else think of any AD Alumni forgotten classics?