Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whats everyone reading?  (Read 631470 times)

Richmond Clements

• Super Moderator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.futurequake.co.uk/fq/index.html
Re: Whats everyone reading?
« Reply #735 on: 28 November, 2009, 12:02:19 pm »
Boyle's book is sitting on top of my to read pile.

strontium_dog_90

• Sentient Tea Bot
  • I'm the one with the least amount of hair :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: 28 November, 2009, 12:21:09 pm »
It's a great, great read, I did it pretty much in one go - pausing only to watch "My Bloody Valentine" (lured in by the free 3d glasses) and to eat. Got a few tellings off from the other half for laughing too loudly, though - a not uncommon occurence in my life.

As well as 2000ad, he mentions others comics, and seems like a massive fan of comics in general, even saying at one point that they can be life-changing. Always nice to see a truth like that stressed.

Richmond Clements

• Super Moderator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.futurequake.co.uk/fq/index.html
« Reply #737 on: 28 November, 2009, 12:30:44 pm »
As well as 2000ad, he mentions others comics, and seems like a massive fan of comics in general, even saying at one point that they can be life-changing. Always nice to see a truth like that stressed.

Cool- and I should mention that during the HiEx weekend, Frankie is playing the same venue!

strontium_dog_90

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: 28 November, 2009, 12:40:49 pm »

Cool- and I should mention that during the HiEx weekend, Frankie is playing the same venue!

Wow - surely there are a few stories to be had from THAT fact! I'll have to take a look at the audience on the DVD release, see if there's any obvious crossover between the two different events :-)

Mike Gloady

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • Mikey give you SMUSH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: 28 November, 2009, 12:43:51 pm »
Wonder if Frankie's up for wandering about with a few geeks.  That man makes me weep with laughter. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

strontium_dog_90

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: 28 November, 2009, 12:49:13 pm »
The book is great - imagine his Mock The Week style humour, but without the censorship of TV. That said, it's not just an exercise in crudeness; it's pretty well written, with the humour adding to the story, not detracting from it. And I laughed pretty hard at it, but since the other half was trying to sleep next to me, it was more her doing the weeping . . .

Kerrin

• +OMNIUM INSIDE+
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: 28 November, 2009, 04:27:21 pm »
I've been reading "The Scorpion" by Desberg and Marini as recommended by Bolt. It's a good swashbuckling story but the artwork is just unreal. Every single panel is an absolute masterpiece. I'm onto the second trade and chuffed to bits to see there's a third on the way.

Got "The Umbrella Academy; Dallas", "Hellboy" 8, "IR$" vol1 and "We3" as well. I think I may have developed a bit of a habit.

HdE

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
    • hde2009.deviantart.com
« Reply #742 on: 28 November, 2009, 06:47:03 pm »
How annoying is this?

While trawling Amazon, I found a collection of Tokyopop manga digests based on the old Starcraft computer game (a game I devoured and went back to many a time in my mis-spent youth!) - looking it over, I saw that a number of western writers were attached to it. So I ordered the lot!

Volumes 2 and 3 arrived today, and I'm RARING to read them- chamoping at the bit, I tells ya! BUT WITH NO VOLUME 1 TO START WITH, I AM DENIIIIIIEEEED!!!

Shame. They look really excellent. I'll be reading 'em as soon as the rest of the volumes arrive.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

HOO-HAA

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
    • Wayne Simmons (Sci-Fi and Horror Author)
« Reply #743 on: 28 November, 2009, 09:54:46 pm »
DIVIDED KINGDOM by Rupert Thomson.

Dark, speculative fiction at its very best. Loving it!

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: 28 November, 2009, 10:04:39 pm »
I've been reading "The Scorpion" by Desberg and Marini as recommended by Bolt. It's a good swashbuckling story but the artwork is just unreal. Every single panel is an absolute masterpiece. I'm onto the second trade and chuffed to bits to see there's a third on the way.

Have to say just checked thes eon Amazon as I'm a big fan of Zorro comics and always fancy a little bit of swashbuckling (or War, or Cowboy, or Jungle action) comics and his is entirely new to me but sounds superb. Another for the wish list!

Mike Gloady

• Mikey give you SMUSH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: 28 November, 2009, 11:05:08 pm »
Ubik by Phillip K. Dick. Cracking, moves at a hell of a pace and races along, throwing out all kinds of brilliant ideas in huge amounts. A chapter's worth of this would, in lesser hands, be stretched out to an entire novel. Hugely entertaining. Recommended.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

starscape

• Prog Stacking Droid
  • I've been uot with Nichola Parsons
    • View Profile
    • http://StarscapeOnline.com
« Reply #746 on: 29 November, 2009, 09:55:16 pm »
'Time Out of Joint' is my fave Philip K Dick book.  I'm halfway through (but put it on hold) Man In The High Castle which is pretty decent too.

Tiplodocus

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: 30 November, 2009, 07:44:16 pm »
Quite a few stand up comedians have geeky tendencies but they don't get let out very often. 

I sometimes think it might be a nice idea to try and get a gig organised at a Con' with lots of geek firendly comedians.  But then I remember that most people go to Con's for comics, a beer and a chat and don't really fancy having to stay quiet while a comedian is on.

I think we should see if he fancies popping down the bar for a few afterwards though.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

IAMTHESYSTEM

• View Profile
« Reply #748 on: 30 November, 2009, 08:47:47 pm »
Six Degree's about the horror's unleashed by global warming. Some say it's all shite and the scientists have been 'massaging' the figures but still a pretty scary book.

“You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension.”

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

HdE

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
    • hde2009.deviantart.com
« Reply #749 on: 30 November, 2009, 10:19:39 pm »
I recently read the graphic novel 'Groom Lake' by Chris Ryall and Ben Templesmith.

Dear lord. Funniest book I've read all year! Recommended to anybody who gets a laugh out of aliens butt-probing rednecks!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/