Main Menu

Gibbons backs digital art contest

Started by Noisybast, 03 April, 2009, 09:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noisybast

Dave Gibbons is in the news again.

What? Go and read it for yourself. What am I? Trevor McDonald?
 //http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7979334.stm
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Bouwel

But...that means moving my mouse cursor alll the way over  -------------->there...and then clicking! What is this? The 1980's??

Great link by the way.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

+rufus+

that's all very well..But someone just asked me if they could buy 'The Boys 28' cover he did...it was all digital...  :lol:
I wonder what archivists and collectors will not have access to in even 2 or 3 generations.. Digital storage is very poor.

M.I.K.

Yeah, but it's easier to make backup copies of digital art.

Matt Timson

There's something comforting about having a physical piece of work in your hands- and there's still no better 'zoom function' than just looking a bit more closely at your finished page- but I still much prefer working digitally.

For example, the piece of work that I will be starting right after posting this has to be finished today- and I'd really struggle to do that using traditional methods.  In fact, I find it really difficult to work traditionally at all these days.

I'm just hoping that data storage will get a lot better before all the stuff that I've already done goes up in a plume of pixels.
 8-)
Pffft...

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "+rufus+"that's all very well..But someone just asked me if they could buy 'The Boys 28' cover he did...it was all digital...  :lol:
I wonder what archivists and collectors will not have access to in even 2 or 3 generations.. Digital storage is very poor.

There wont be any or as much original art to collect only prints of art that was produced digitally.You would have to sell data stored on a memory stick.Original data drawn and stored in a file by the artist.

I dont have any problem with it apart from not being able to touch it and look into it closely and hang it on the wall.The other problem is that these new technologies tend to take over to the detriment of drawing on paper with ink etc.To make my point there used to be 3 to 4 shops selling art materials here and now there is only one.I assume that this may have something to do with the digital revolution in art.

It obviously does have its good points and big advantages for commercial artists but in a way it leaves me cold like downloaded music as there is no physical object .
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

opaque

Ifyou're talking about digital longevity and not worried about copyright etc the easiest way of storing something is to make it freely available online. Then you'd have distributed copies around the world on many many storage formats over time.

Not saying it's the right answer but it's an answer.