Main Menu

200AD April Art Comp: Thrill Circuits To Maximum!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 05 April, 2009, 02:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gibson Quarter

Here's my entry for the month.

I LOVED this story and some of the other McMahon colored annuals, so this hopefully will take a few of you to 'back in the day'.

Shortly after I got started, I decided to make this a 'what if I was commissioned by Rebellion to do a TPB cover?[attachment=0:ttdr5hcg]Dredd fear RGB moody sky POSTABLE.jpg[/attachment:ttdr5hcg]' type of entry...and this is what I came up with.I hope you guys like it!

Cheers,

GQ

[url]http://www.comicspace.com/gibsonquarter/

LARF

Winner!

GQ - That illustration is fantastic, well done mate. How long did it take you? Digi or pen and ink?

I'd have it as a poster!

Kerrin

Buddy

The Legendary Shark

Fantastic entries this month. As a mere mortal, I'm feeling very untalented right now.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SuperSurfer

Some knockout entries (again). Interesting to hear how you produced your entry Ant. Do you find Painter much better than Photoshop for inking? I keep on meaning to printout my sketches and then ink them on paper. Laziness prevails though. I need to buy some decent inking pens. Not sure which though.

That's amazing Gibson Quarter. Nice and pulpy. Just how I like 'em.

Still busy with my entry. I might have to settle for bw.

Ignatzmonster

antodonnell

That's a great piece Gibson Quarter it got a laugh out of me as I scrolled down the image to see all the zombies up to no good. A damn fine composition, you captured Dredds impending face plant perfectly.

QuoteDo you find Painter much better than Photoshop for inking?

I still kind of prefer inking on paper, I tried photoshop and painter to see if it's as good as paper. I prefer painter as it has a nice range of brushes. I used the calligraphy pen for this piece. Also the natural way you can rotate  the canvas with a hot key helped a lot. What I like is I can play with lineweights and if I dont like it I just erase it. I know you can paint over inks on paper I find this method less messy.

Gibson Quarter

Cheers for the comments guys, I'm glad you like it!

Larf- It was all inked on the art board with markers and crow quills. No digi inks for me. I like to have the original B&W art to look at when I'm done.  Poster? funny you should mention that...I'm going to do a UK Con next year ( either Bristol or Hi-Ex) and I'll most likely be selling this as an oversized print. Last con I did was the first con where I sold a numbered print ( it was a Wolverine) and the response was great! So you may be able to get your poster after all.  :twisted:

Cheers,

GQ

radiator

QuoteI need to buy some decent inking pens. Not sure which though.

I use Sakura Micron Pigma markers sizes 005 and 01, which I have found very pleasing to use, and I also use a Copic Multiliner Brush pen. I have never got on with inking with a proper brush - they have never felt as comfortable as a pen to use and no matter how hard I tried to maintain them, they always frayed horribly after a couple of uses. Only thing is, you can't buy the Sakura pens in the UK, so I order them in bulk from a American guy on eBay.

chris_askham

My first entry in quite some time, and I think I've rushed it just ever so slightly towards the end. Thought I'd depict a scene which left me both stunned and shocked when it was originally published - Torquemada getting his revenge on Nemesis' son Thoth.

Some lovely stuff on this thread so far.

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Bhuna

Second entry this month as my first one was a shambles. Can the first one not be included?? Can't suss a wacom out, can't ink to save m'life, so it's back to the pencil & paper

twitter.com/Bhuna1967
twitter.com/pigdogpress

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "daBhuna"Can the first one not be included??

Of course ... you have only to ask!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bolt-01

Holy drokk. I knew I shouldn't have read the thread before putting mine up...

James- thanks for the plug- and folks you really need to see what he's done for the new Neroy Sphinx. Superb.

Gibson- first I've heard of you coming over the pond, you MUST let me know for definite as there is at least one strip of yours that would be very timely to make sure was in print...

Chris Askham- always a pleasure.

And here's mine. Colours by the A level stressing, missing portfolio cursing Mini-bolt.

Top comp Jim.