Main Menu

To Matt Smith. A story competition.

Started by synapse, 25 August, 2002, 09:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

I think for many byears editors have been under the fanciful idea that a perfect professional script will land in front of them and that just isn't going to happen unless a proffessional submits it.

As most of the people who submit FS, are enthusiastic amateurs, you aren't really going to get any scripts that don't need at least moderate work (but more likely substantial) on them to make them succeed.  And if that script requires more work you are actually employing two peoplw to write a script rather than one.

I think you're right John, certainly for the forseeable future it will be established creators doing the one offs which is fairly understandable.

It could be the editor was just choosing the best from what he had.  I imagine many people think getting a FS published would be the start of their comics career, alas the stats prove its more likely to be the end.

For me, one of the reasons future shocks are so awful (even from established creators) is the format itself.  A story that is entirely enslaved to the twist ending can be done well (and I agree on the Diggle principal that people havn't begun to tap into what you COULD do with a future shock) but generally isn't.  By pro and newbie alike.  I've read better newbie stuff than pro and vice versa.  The only difference is, is that pro scripts are generally technically better (while still having the potential to be piss poor stories).

The past imperfect series seems a very good idea, make the twist ending non-compulsary.  Certainly to me it makes sense with such an interesting idea, to get the professionals to do it first and then, maybe, allow unsolicited submissions at some point in the future, when the series is well established and the standards have been set.

Anyway there are more good reasons NOT to accept unsolicited manuscripts than there are good reasons.  So any change in the current submissions status, should be seen as a generous (to the point of charity) offer.