Main Menu

Write to Ron Smith

Started by longmanshort, 14 May, 2009, 08:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wils

Dear Ron

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for being one of the people responsible for inspiring me to start drawing from a really young age, which ultimately ending up with my being a graphic designer by trade. I think I owe you some royalties!

I've loved your work since I first read 'Rabid' shortly after starting to get 2000ad in 1982. You really did make Mega-City 1 the star of your strips, and your characterisation of Dredd, especially in his reaction to the the city and its citizens, has never been surpassed for me. Your Mega-City 1 was absolutely bonkers, as it should've been, but you also managed to seemlessly weave in horror, in stories like Nosferatu and some genuine, heartfelt pathos such as the Bonnie Crickle storyline of A Question of Judgement. You made Judge Dredd so utterly enjoyable for me when I was growing up, and I was always so pleased to get the latest Prog, open it straight to the centre pages (as I always did) and find one of your gorgeous double page spreads before me.

I really do hope you're enjoying your retirement and I'm sorry that the end of your time at 2000ad was not as any of us would've hoped or wanted. After all these years, it would be fantastic if you could make even one brief return to the pages of 2000ad. You are sorely missed.

Thank you so much for the 27 years of pleasure I've had from enjoying your work. You have always been, and always will be one of my favourite comic artists of all time.

Take care and keep well.

Cheers

Mark Wilson

Zarjazzer

Quote from: "lborl"Stupid edit timeout thing. Let's make it more visible shall we?

Wow! This is about as close to artistic genius as I'll ever see.  Cheers Ron (and lborl for showing it), it's mostly been said, but not by me so many thanks Ron Smith for all your marvelous art and while i'd love to see you do some new stuff i hope you have a  nice rest in your retirement.

You've certainly earned it.

All the best.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Steven Sterlacchini

From the Black Plague, to his work on The Judge Child Quest and of course including the Grave Yard Shift, he has definitely earned his place as one of the most important Dredd artists.

I've recently been buying the excellent Dredd compilations (to save the pain of going through my back progs) and it's clear to see that 2000AD has benefited immensely from Ron's work.

One of the great visual story tellers, it would be cool to see Ron do some Dredd stories. Something written for Ron specifically would be cool.

longmanshort

That's great everyone, thanks for your contributions. They've now been packaged up and packed off to the great Mr Smith.

Cheers

mm
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "longmanshort"They've now been packaged up and packed off to the great Mr Smith.

Thanks for the public service, Mike, and apologies once again for the minor spanner-insertion on my part.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

brendan1

I hope there is ZERO truth in the current unpleasant media reports.

Pete Wells

Let's hope our letters have given the chap some comfort during this difficult time.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "Pete Wells"Let's hope our letters have given the chap some comfort during this difficult time.

Will you be saying that if he's found guilty? I think we should close talk on this "tribute" thread till a verdict is reached.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: "garageman"
Quote from: "Pete Wells"Let's hope our letters have given the chap some comfort during this difficult time.

Will you be saying that if he's found guilty? I think we should close talk on this "tribute" thread till a verdict is reached.

Not wanting to get into a fight or anything, but what happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

And nothing that he's been accused of doing, stops him being the artist that everyone in the thread above has said he is.

Steev