Main Menu

Prog 1640 - Know Him By The Trail Of The Dead...

Started by Pete Wells, 13 June, 2009, 09:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

boohoohoo  :cry:
where's my prog? - *sigh* guess  it's monday then....

ThryllSeekyr

Quoteby Batson on Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:36 pm
Okay, this has gone off topic for a while now, lest Wake or one of the "others" comes along I'll say this outright:
Let's get back on topic!!!!

After re-reading my post above, I embarrassed to find the top of it is missing through my fumbled attempt to post entire thing while my message scroller is going haywire. I've been using a old keyboard or it might the website. But the scroller keeps dropping down to the bottom of the page and it's already caused me to lose a draft twice now. Which is why I'm using Wordpad right now.
So this was the misisng part......

Quoteby Mardroid on Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:06 pm

By the way, has anyone seen Hardware? The name rings a bell but I haven't heard much about it. Is it any good?

Thinking of this film bring vivid memories of seeing this movie quite a while ago now.
I know that If order this prog, the free DVD will either be unusebale or ...........
I'm not sure if this would be extended to my half of the world.

In conclusion, I 'm sorry, but I can't contribute anything more on topic to this thread.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "Batson"Okay, this has gone off topic for a while now, lest Wake or one of the "others" comes along I'll say this outright:
Let's get back on topic!!!!

Pffff!

As far as I know, the mods have never been so draconian as to tell us off for daring to ramble within a thread. And woe betide us if we ever become one of those boards.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

If me this Prog doesn't quite hit the heights of the last few weeks. Not a massive fan of Defoe, I'm not entirely sure why just don't get on with it and struggled through reading it. As for the highlights of the rest, loved David Taylor's art Savage continues to be more than entertaining and Cradlegrave continues to be brillant. So while not at the heights of the superb last few weeks still much to enjoy and a great Prog.

Proudhuff

Dredd - I'm in the minority here, the art I find pale and too busy, but hey, I like Neville Brody and Steve Yoewell's stuff so different strokes etc ? The entrance of the second Psi had me baffled due to the lack of movement but a second reread soon sorted that out, the story is intruguing, but am I the only one who's panting to find out what's happening on the mutie/Gang of Five front?  

Future Shock - Old School stylee and nothing wrong with that, bit heavy on the basil  but a whole tale in five pages? hats off to Mr W.

Defoe - Good fun but haven't been here before or somewhere very similar?

Cradlegrave - Huh, read this with a slight hangover while eldest Mini-huff staggered in after a night out: it sent a shiver up my spine and a heaving in the belly pit,too close to home?

Savage - heading to the climax will our hero escape? yes improbably.

Back cover - Any film that opens with Grangemouth and Iggy Pop can't be all bad, looking forward to seeing this again after all these years
DDT did a job on me

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: "Jim_Campbell"
Quote from: "Batson"Let's get back on topic!!!!

Fuck off! I'll ramble on about any old shite I choose ...

Cheers

Jim

Piss off!!

Cheers

Your friendly neighbourhood Batson
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Rob1971

Much as I hate to agree with PJ on anything, got to say that Tooth's on a cracking run at the moment. The standard's extremely high. Dave Taylor's art this week, Leigh's work on Defoe. Zombo was Henry/Al bonkers fun.

But Cradlegrave's the best written thing I've seen in 2000AD for quite some time. Lovely work by Mr Bagwell too. Bit of an all time Tooth classic, I think.

Nice to feel so enthusiastic about getting the prog every week.

Rob

Dandontdare

another quality prog - has Tharg truly delivered an end to boom and bust thrillpower? Or are we heading for a global recession of thrills the like of which hasn't been seen since the nineties?

Cover and Defoe - I'm not a big fan of either story or art usually, but I enjoyed this episode more than most thanks to some lewd laughs, period details (saloop and spunks anyone?) and a great final panel. Why does everyone in a Pat Mills strip have to speak in quirky quotable one-liners? Some of them even have actual quote marks: Their only weakness is their need to 'rest to digest'.
And I guess we now know who ateth all of ye pies.

Cradlegrave - sick sick stuff, but full of spot-on incidental details and a growing sense of menace. Love it.

Great old-school feel to both story and art in the future shock, right down to the phallic space-ship.

Still enjoying Savage, though I too was a wee bit disappointed that the Noannoia is just a big dog. Lovely gratuitous flying limb action though - made me nostalgic for Shako and Flesh!

Finally to Dredd. What's all this nonsense about non-Wagner Dredd's 'going wrong' then? Mr Eginton steps up and delivers a very good spooky opener, reminiscent of early psi-div stories. Beautiful art with Dredd looking every one of his advanced years, as he should. Fab cityscapes - especially the eagle-profiled Grand Hall (I presume).
And remember boys and girls - Don't finger the fruit!

Almost twice as much black and white as colour art this week, and it's a testament to the strength of the stories and quality of the art that this just isn't an issue.

I, Cosh

So let me get this straight: Craig's taken the pups and shoved them up Mary's demon fud to incubate into some sort of something or others - possibly even enticing them in with Ted's dog food (would you like to see some puppies little boy) - which are then going to burst out and... meawhile Shane's about to get a right doing, maybe even some sort of medieval heat lamp torture.. and it's not the hottest day of summer yet... Or am I completely wrong? Holy Fuck, this is great stuff.

On the other hand: exorcist judges? Meh. On the other other hand, Dave Taylor's draws the best translucent computer screens since Mark Harrison and his MC1's pretty good too.

Liking Defoe, not hating Savage and there's always room for a FUture SHock in my Prog.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Quote from: "Jim_Campbell"Personally, I'm still waiting for Carl McCoy to stump up Stanley's money so we can have the live DVD from the Nephilim's Astoria gig.
Can't you just watch The Sisters of Mercy at the Albert Hall again?
We never really die.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "The Cosh"
Quote from: "Jim_Campbell"Can't you just watch The Sisters of Mercy at the Albert Hall again?

Meh. The Sisters were always rubbish live.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

mygrimmbrother

Bear in mind I neglected the Galaxy's Greatest for several years before rekindling my love affair with it around Christmas, and missed the first two books, but there seems to be a lot of negativity towards Defoe. Now, I'm only going by one episode, but it looks great to me - zombies rising from the ashes of the Great FIre of London, opposed by a proto-British secret service Witch(zombie)finder Genral type figure, with a splash of steampunk (big anachronistic guns etc). What's not to like??

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "mygrimmbrother"There seems to be a lot of negativity towards Defoe. Now, I'm only going by one episode, but it looks great to me - zombies rising from the ashes of the Great FIre of London, opposed by a proto-British secret service Witch(zombie)finder Genral type figure, with a splash of steampunk (big anachronistic guns etc). What's not to like??

The answer's simple - it's by Pat Mills. You know what some people are like when they see his name in the credit box.

But my gushing love for Defoe knows no bounds. It's as if someone's written a comic strip just for me, trying to combine everything I like in one thrill, then adding in a bit extra what-the-hey, balls-to-the-wall bonkerness, just for good measure (cracking art, too). It may just be my current favourite thrill in all Tharg's stable, and bearing in mind it's up against stiff competition from the likes of Dredd, Dante, Kingdom, etc, that's no mean feat.

I was totally sold the moment Charles II was interupted mid-coitus by Oliver Cromwell's zombie head on a forty-foot stick. You just wouldn't see that anywhere else.
@jamesfeistdraws

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: "Dark Jimbo"I was totally sold the moment Charles II was interupted mid-coitus by Oliver Cromwell's zombie head on a forty-foot stick. You just wouldn't see that anywhere else.
[/quote]

Sold! The forthcoming GN is officially on my wishlist!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "Dark Jimbo"The answer's simple - it's by Pat Mills. You know what some people are like when they see his name in the credit box.

That's harsh. I've certainly been a vocal critic of some of Pat's stuff in the (not so distant) past and I certainly never dismiss anything Pat does just because his name is on the credits.

In fact, I'm happy that Pat's throwing out more new material, even if I don't always care for it. With hindsight, I understand now that Pat felt reluctant to create new characters and milieu when he felt that the editorial regime was hostile towards him, but I'm delighted to see him experimenting with new stories.

QuoteI was totally sold the moment Charles II was interupted mid-coitus by Oliver Cromwell's zombie head on a forty-foot stick. You just wouldn't see that anywhere else.

You're not wrong -- it certainly got my attention! Defoe is High Concept with a capital H and a capital C: The Baroque Cycle meets Night of the Living Dead. Bonkers in a good way ... frankly I'm surprised Hollywood haven't nicked it already, frankly.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.