Main Menu

Kingdom - The Promised Land

Started by bluemeanie, 24 June, 2009, 11:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluemeanie

Did a quick search and couldn't find a thread on this surprisingly, so thought I'd kick one off.

After much recommending (aka nagging) about how cool this was, how much I would enjoy it, and how much I should read it before the new Kingdom strip in 2000Ad kicks off I finally ordered a copy of this trade paperback and read it last weekend.

In one sitting.

Do I need to go on? Ok.

For anyone who doesnt know, the short version is that the story follows a pack of enhanced soldiers who have been bred for purpose (kind of like the Jem Hadar in DS9) and given the task of repelling "THEM". Them being a huge race of mutated insects.
In the first arc we basically tag along with this pack on one of their tours and see what happens when they effectively lose contact with their unseen masters and dissent begins to show in the ranks. The second follows one lone soldier as he goes further into the belly of the beast.

When I started this, while I was REALLY enjoying it I was thinking as mentioned above that with a slight tweak this could be a Jem Hadar story due to the mentality of the soldiers, their small squad complete with a "First" and their almost religious devotion to their creators, but then it does then go off in its own direction and really does kick ass. I dont want to spoil too much of the story as there are some cool twists and turns, even if the reveal of the soldiers origins is kind of signposted by the art. I would say though that in the two arcs covered in this collection you really get a feel for the soldiers and the world in which they live and will definately want to see what happens next.

And as I briefly mentioned the art, I should add that it was REALLY nice stuff and the design of the soldiers and their insect opponents really sold how powerful and designed for war they were.

Was cool stuff, really enjoyed it.

http://www.2000adonline.com/books/kingd ... d-land.php

Richmond Clements

Kingdom's probably the best ongoing story in the prog since Dante. I love it.

You should hunt down Zarjaz #6, where we've got a rather brilliant Kingdom story set between the two adventures in the GN, as well as an awesome Richard Elson cover.

See that cover? We've got the original art hanging on the wall!

Dark Jimbo

It's nice to have review threads for the trades again. :-)

What I love most about Kingdom is the simplicity of it - both in concept and execution. There's often a sense, for me at least, that some of the newer strips can be needlessly complicated. Harry Kipling, Dead Space(?), Lobster Random, Zombo, Stickleback - great thrills all, but there are almost too many ideas and plotlines crammed in, if anything, too many twists and double-crosses, a sense that the writer is trying too hard to write a 'clever' story.

Kingdom just introduces the world, the character, and gets on with it. A relatively straightforward story, well told. Cinematic comics.
@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

Oh, and on a related note as it's by the same creative team - when are we going to get a TPB of Atavar?
@jamesfeistdraws

radiator

I was just about to recommend Atavar to bluemeanie - I have the hardback edition, which frustratingly only collects the first two books. Would definitely go for a paperback collecting all three books.

If you liked the characters and creatures in Kingdom, you'll love Atavar - it's even more crazy and imaginative.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "Dark Jimbo"Kingdom just introduces the world, the character, and gets on with it. A relatively straightforward story, well told. Cinematic comics.

Yeah wholeheartly agree with this. One of Kingdoms strenghts is that it feels timeless in 2000ad terms. It could have been in issue 250, 570, or 900 and I'd not have blinked an eye. Its just great simple storytelling about great characters that kick ass.

bluemeanie

Quote from: "radiator"If you liked the characters and creatures in Kingdom, you'll love Atavar - it's even more crazy and imaginative.

Crap.... more money I have to spend on nerdy stuff!
I'm already in trouble for buying toy bat cycles off the internet   :?

zombemybabynow

just bought this 5 mins ago from fp for one of my best mate's b'day

lovely art and a colour scheme which always makes me feel happy
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

TordelBack

[spoiler:345fk1m9][/spoiler:345fk1m9]It's been said before, but Kingdom has that other essential 2000AD element:  its very own language, replete with vaguely subversive-sounding catchphrases and slogans.  "Your mouth is full of wrong!" is right up there with "Cleanse and Purify!", "The crime isss life", "Big Jobs!" and "Stak!  Genetik freak!".

I've also had to resist the urge to ask "You got the bone?" on a number of occasions.

It's the perfect comic.

Minkyboy

Quote from: "bluemeanie"Crap.... more money I have to spend on nerdy stuff!
I'm already in trouble for buying toy bat cycles off the internet   :D
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "Colin_YNWA"
Quote from: "Dark Jimbo"Kingdom just introduces the world, the character, and gets on with it. A relatively straightforward story, well told. Cinematic comics.

Yeah wholeheartly agree with this. One of Kingdoms strenghts is that it feels timeless in 2000ad terms. It could have been in issue 250, 570, or 900 and I'd not have blinked an eye. Its just great simple storytelling about great characters that kick ass.

Thats right.

This strip to me is what 2000ad is all about.

Its timeless and it could appeal to all ages .The best strips always do rather than something that is contrived to or aimed at older readers.Like someone else said its not needlessly complicated.If the comic wants its younger readers back then it needs more of this sort of thing.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Just echoing what everyone else said but this really is one of the best things in 2000ad currently.

Peter Wolf

Does anyone know who colored this strip ?

Unless its a given to assume that Richard Elson was/is on coloring duties.I ask because the coloring is bloody excellent .The palate of colors used is wonderful and adds so much to the story.They add an otherwordly aspect to the story.Its quite unique as well as even the colors on the cover of the softback reprint are not obvious choices to use yet they work beautifully.Whoever does the coloring really does have a very good understanding of color that you just dont see very often but you know it when you see it if you understand color yourself which i do.

The coloring to strips is never credited to anyone so its obvious to assume that the artist did the colouring but this might not always be the case.I would prefer to see the coloring be credited to someone  like the script etc and i cant think of any good reason why it shouldnt be because time and effort and consideration goes into it yet no credit ?

It doesnt make any sense to me at all.

Best coloring *ever* in the prog in my not very humble opinion and i am usually a B+W freak .I would love to see a B+W inked strip by Richard Elson that uses depth of shadow and detailed shading instead of color just to see what he could do.

*Really really must buy this as i know it will be reread time and time again like all the best strips.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "peterwolf"Does anyone know who colored this strip ?

Unless its a given to assume that Richard Elson was/is on coloring duties.

It is. Unless there's a separate credit for colours, it's safe to assume that whoever is credited as artist has also done the colouring.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

bluemeanie

Quote from: "peterwolf"*Really really must buy this as i know it will be reread time and time again like all the best strips.

If anyone from 2000AD is reading this, I get a quid for everyone who buys a copy as a result of this thread, right? Right?
Hello?

bugger.