Main Menu

Kingdom - The Promised Land

Started by bluemeanie, 24 June, 2009, 11:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Quote from: "Jim_Campbell"
Quote from: "peterwolf"Does anyone know who colored this strip ?

Unless its a given to assume that Richard Elson was/is on coloring duties.

It is. Unless there's a separate credit for colours, it's safe to assume that whoever is credited as artist has also done the colouring.

He usually colours all his own work (he only provided the pencils on a Motormouth and Killpower story - I'll have to ig out out and see how that stands up). His art is top-notch but the colouring really takes it to the next level.

Elson fans will be interested to hear he is up for the art duties on a Marvel Zombies one-shot, written by Seth Grahame-Smith (who did Pride and Prejudice and Zombies) and featuring the Zombie Hulk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Zombies_Return

It'll be interesting to see if you provides the whole lot. Of course, the danger is the American comic book industry might snap him up, although he might be trickier to turn into a cog in their machine without splitting off his colouring and that'd be a shame (that said Frazer Irving is now right in the top flight of artists over there and he does everything so...). We'll have to blame his excellent artwork on Marauder for this as it clearly showed he can pull off superheroics!! Why do the yanks steal all our nice things with their fancy chewing gum and nylons??  :cry:
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

radiator

I'm pretty sure Steve Roberts coloured some of series one.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "radiator"I'm pretty sure Steve Roberts coloured some of series one.

Was he credited, or was he just helping Richard out?

I actually thought about putting a caveat into my previous post mentioning that my assertion concerning credits didn't extend to artists working in a studio style, sub-contracting, or just helping each other out ...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

radiator

Tweak72

I also just bought this and will be on the look out for Atavar and looking forward to the next book
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "radiator"He was credited:

Ah. Just my pathetically poor memory, then.

As you were. Nothing to see here.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Peter Wolf

Thanks for answering my question to those that did.  

:D

I wasnt reading when book 1 was out but when book 2 was in the prog i wasnt even aware of book 1 but i liked book 2 immediately .Given that i usually like the strips hardly anyone else likes amongst a lot of the stuff that everyone likes i was a bit surprised to find out just how popular it is with just about everyone.I was expecting the majority to not like it.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Mike Gloady

Quote from: "bluemeanie"If anyone from 2000AD is reading this, I get a quid for everyone who buys a copy as a result of this thread, right? Right?
Hello?

bugger.
I missed this first time round but it looks gorgeous and sounds right up my street - something my neice can read from the prog for a change.  Everyone on the boards seems to really rate it so I'll be investing soon.  

I might even buy you a drink blue - or should I call you meanie?
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

bluemeanie

Quote from: "mikegloady"
Quote from: "bluemeanie"I might even buy you a drink blue - or should I call you meanie?

If theres a beer in it you can call me what the f**k you like  :)

Actually its Richard bud, but as loads of my real mates these days knew me first from online stuff a hell of a lot of them call me Blue which is kinda weird in the pub.
And I hope you enjoy it. Like I said, I was heavily prompted to get it and was glad I did. Fun stuff

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 24 June, 2009, 12:34:44 PM
Quote from: Dark JimboKingdom just introduces the world, the character, and gets on with it. A relatively straightforward story, well told. Cinematic comics.

Yeah wholeheartly agree with this. One of Kingdoms strenghts is that it feels timeless in 2000ad terms. It could have been in issue 250, 570, or 900 and I'd not have blinked an eye. Its just great simple storytelling about great characters that kick ass.

Read Book 1 of this again last night in one go. I haven't got too much to add to what I said before just a great example of a quintessential 2000ad story. Except to say one thing I picked up was a real Brendan McCarthy vibe off Richard Elson's art which I'd not picked up before. Not in the craziness that McCarthy delivers, this story doesn't want or need that, just in the look of 'them', the way he draws the human character. Minor thing but nice too see.

Well worth a re-visit.