Main Menu

Prog 1644 - Two Minutes To Midnight.

Started by Pete Wells, 11 July, 2009, 09:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sefton Disney

Here goes: Prog 1644.

I thought the cover concept was really strong but, like a lot of other posters, it was a let down by the pixellation effect. Even so, the Grim reaper always gets a thumbs-up from me and, as a life long fan, the Iron maiden reference made me throw the horns in the newsagents'. \m/ Like that.

At last, we get to see Al Ewing handle a multi-part Dredd, and the first part of Rehab didn't disappoint. The opening monologue was lovely, reflecting both the despair of MC1 and the rationalizing self-justification of the petty criminal. The transition to page two was excellent, as was Ewing's use of continuity (Block mania and Otto Sump). I especially liked the Perp Desk newscasters and Dredd's "speech". Once again, Al Ewing showed his knack of capturing dredd's world perfectly without simply copying John Wagner. And it was really nice to see Karl Richardson's art in the Prog again. it didn't strike me until i read it here, but his art did have a touch of Johnny Hicklenton to it on the last couple of pages, didn't it? (No bad thing in my book.) Really nice twist and cliffhanger at the end. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this script goes next. Good, good stuff.

The Red Seas - One day, all exposition will be done this way! I'm a big fan of this strip, so it was nice to see it back even if nothing much really happened. I thought of Jason King rather than Mister Six but, as any Invisibles fan can attest, really it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, isn't it?

Sinister/Dexter - I was a bit disappointed that Kal didn't die. It felt a bit anti-climactic. But meeting Bonehinge more than made up for that. Vayase, indeed! I've always been pretty neutral about Sin/Dex but I am really enjoying this arc so far, and I'm looking forward to the next part.

Cradlegrave - the Main Event. I'm sure I wasn't the only Squaxx who was waiting for the last episode of this strip with some trepidation, especially after the ending of Dead Eyes. Let's face it, the build-up to this episode had been so well-written and intense, there was probably a 50/50 chance it would disappoint. And, at first, I did feel a little let-down. I felt it was a little rushed and I wanted more explanation of what had happened. Then I read it again and decided I was completely wrong. The writing and art were absolutely spot-on. I think the climax was perfectly paced and the ambiguity simply made things even more disturbing. I was also impressed and unsettled by the strangely upbeat tone of the last page... Who would think cradlegrave would have a happy(ish) ending? Cradlegrave isn't just the best stand-alone thrill for a long, long time - it's one of the finest British horror stories I've ever read. Thrill of the Year? Quite possibly - and much kudos to Tharg for running such an uncompromising story. A classic. Trade paperback (and movie!) soon, please.

(For what it's worth, my take on the story is that Mary's despair at her lost childhood and the decay of Ravenglade somwhow opened her to cosmic forces which mutated her body - although, ironically, the "mundane" horrors had reached such a point that the coming of Lovecraftian Chaos actually acted as a purging of human evil - in effect, she became a kind of inverted Mother Goddess, eating her corrupt young. Which is why she's so weirdly sympathetic.)

Despite the unquestionable brilliance of Cradlegrave, though, I have to admit that the story I'm simply flat-out enjoying the most at the moment is Defoe. For whatever reason, this story simply works for me, totally. The combination of twisted history (a period I'm genuinely fascinated by), black magic, weirdly credible steampunk technology (the Puckle gun was actually real, as were the round and square bullets) and full-on zombie action just hits the mark every time. Okay, I accept that the dialogue can be a bit clunky and expo-heavy but, for me, it still works in the context of the strip. The Clockpunks, the Verbiest, Defoe's sneering "Bit fantasmagoric, innit?" and his loss of faith all hit the mark and Leigh Gallagher's artwork is superb, the perfect match for Pat Mills' script. I think this is the best script Pat Mills has put his name to for a very, very long time - a really fine piece of British horror/SF. Once again, all i can say is: Trade paperbacks (and a movie) soon, please!

And, as if all that wasn't enough - Under New Management in Prog 1649. Nuff said.

Zarjaz stuff from cover to cover. Loved it. 9/10.

SmallBlueThing

I haven't commented on 1644 yet, and as 1645 inches ever closer, I must just stick in my tuppence ha'penny.

Basically, what the man Sefton Disney said.
Spot on, sir.

I'm immesurably pissed-off tonight, after having spent the day being insulted by all and sundry, so my own comments will be short and curt.

Dredd: The art was utterly brilliant and I want to see more. Gave me shivers.

The Red Seas: Exposition, but entertaining- which is not a word I often use about this strip.

Cradlegrave: It took me three reads, but I wasn't dissappointed. Collection please. Now.

Defoe: Worth it for the astonishingly atmospheric art on the final couple of pages. Very affecting- can't wait for the next one.

SiniDex: Bonehinge. heh heh heh heh heh. Can't wait to see how this pans out.

Top prog, all said. I go now, to be pissed-off elsewhere.

Steev

Sefton Disney

Damn, Spooky - you've just made me blush. There goes my "Hard Man of British Comics" reputation...

Comrade Aleksandr

Quote from: Sefton Disney on 20 July, 2009, 03:43:32 PM

Cradlegrave - the Main Event. I'm sure I wasn't the only Squaxx who was waiting for the last episode of this strip with some trepidation, especially after the ending of Dead Eyes. Let's face it, the build-up to this episode had been so well-written and intense, there was probably a 50/50 chance it would disappoint. And, at first, I did feel a little let-down. I felt it was a little rushed and I wanted more explanation of what had happened. Then I read it again and decided I was completely wrong. The writing and art were absolutely spot-on. I think the climax was perfectly paced and the ambiguity simply made things even more disturbing. I was also impressed and unsettled by the strangely upbeat tone of the last page... Who would think cradlegrave would have a happy(ish) ending? Cradlegrave isn't just the best stand-alone thrill for a long, long time - it's one of the finest British horror stories I've ever read. Thrill of the Year? Quite possibly - and much kudos to Tharg for running such an uncompromising story. A classic. Trade paperback (and movie!) soon, please.

(For what it's worth, my take on the story is that Mary's despair at her lost childhood and the decay of Ravenglade somwhow opened her to cosmic forces which mutated her body - although, ironically, the "mundane" horrors had reached such a point that the coming of Lovecraftian Chaos actually acted as a purging of human evil - in effect, she became a kind of inverted Mother Goddess, eating her corrupt young. Which is why she's so weirdly sympathetic.)

Despite the unquestionable brilliance of Cradlegrave, though, I have to admit that the story I'm simply flat-out enjoying the most at the moment is Defoe. For whatever reason, this story simply works for me, totally. The combination of twisted history (a period I'm genuinely fascinated by), black magic, weirdly credible steampunk technology (the Puckle gun was actually real, as were the round and square bullets) and full-on zombie action just hits the mark every time. Okay, I accept that the dialogue can be a bit clunky and expo-heavy but, for me, it still works in the context of the strip. The Clockpunks, the Verbiest, Defoe's sneering "Bit fantasmagoric, innit?" and his loss of faith all hit the mark and Leigh Gallagher's artwork is superb, the perfect match for Pat Mills' script. I think this is the best script Pat Mills has put his name to for a very, very long time - a really fine piece of British horror/SF. Once again, all i can say is: Trade paperbacks (and a movie) soon, please!

And, as if all that wasn't enough - Under New Management in Prog 1649. Nuff said.

Zarjaz stuff from cover to cover. Loved it. 9/10.

I agree with the notion of the Lovecraftian element, (though that is because I'm a HPL freak).

I really am trying to like Defoe. I like Steampunk. I like Alternative history. I like horror. I like magick (I insist on archaic spellings whenever possible. I even write Mao Tse Tung instead of Mao Zedong!). I like conspiracy theoris. But I just can't get on with it. Maybe I'll read through them again come the end of this Book. I hope I can get into it.
Aleks
What are you looking at?

Sefton Disney

I'm a huge admirer of Pat Mills, so I admit I'm a bit biased! But, funnily enough, Defoe was a bit of a grower for me, too. I actually didn't like the first few episodes all that much but then it just seemed to "click". So, it might well work better read as a collection.

locustsofdeath!

Story-wise Defoe wasn't - is still isn't - top-notch. But I tell you what, both the art and the characters involved are. The rain-soaked moody b&w hits the spot for me, and the characters (of which there are probably a few too many), while not ultra-defined are certainly damn cool in a "man-with-no-name" Western Movie way.

Love it.