Main Menu

Dredd into the sunset

Started by uncle fester, 22 July, 2009, 01:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: HdE on 22 July, 2009, 08:05:46 PMMaybe an episodic approach could be used here and there, to 'fill in the gaps' maybe, and highlight crimes that Dredd solved 'when we weren't looking' before? 

I've mentioned this as an option myself - Dredd had been on the streets for almost 20 years when the strip started (as Rico was released from serving his 20 on Titan in a very early story) so even if Dredd is killed off/long-walked/promoted, any writer who wanted to recapture old-school type Dredd stories (crimes and crazes etc) has got all that time to play with, providing they don't muck about with established continuity.

I think the main strip can survive for another couple of decades with Dredd as Chief Judge; delegating the action stuff to the large cast of supporting characters (not to mention clones) that we already have.

TordelBack

QuoteAnd I'd be a broken man if I ever saw a comics panel depicting or even broadly suggesting his demise.

For grud's sake don't look at the Casefiles!  It happens in almost every volume!

Welcome, HdE!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: dandontdare on 22 July, 2009, 08:26:02 PM
Quote from: HdE on 22 July, 2009, 08:05:46 PMMaybe an episodic approach could be used here and there, to 'fill in the gaps' maybe, and highlight crimes that Dredd solved 'when we weren't looking' before? 

I've mentioned this as an option myself - Dredd had been on the streets for almost 20 years when the strip started (as Rico was released from serving his 20 on Titan in a very early story) so even if Dredd is killed off/long-walked/promoted, any writer who wanted to recapture old-school type Dredd stories (crimes and crazes etc) has got all that time to play with, providing they don't muck about with established continuity.

I've always been surprised this hasn't been done (unless it was when I was in the wilderness). I'm really intrigued to see Judge Dredd Year One so to speak. How he when from a rookie to the most respected Judge on the block. Unless Wagner has veto'd such stuff I've thought it was an obvious tale to tell at some point?

The Legendary Shark

I'd have Dredd as Chief Judge of the North West Hab Zone. Clear all the norms out and relocate them to MC1 and move all the muties into the Hab Zone (Mutie City One?). Then Dredd could have his very own Justice Dept with mutie as well as norm judges...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

HdE

Woo! I'm being quoted to within an inch of my life!

(Thanks for the welcome, by the way, Tordelback!)

I kinda think it would just be so, so sad to see Dredd draw his last breath on the page. I'd rather that was left undealt with, personally. But, if the real-time approach is something nobody wants to ditch, i'd really like to see a development like Dredd taking up office as Chief Judge. Just so long as it doesn't mean killing off Hershey (or whoever).

That strikes me as a good way to set the stage for anew character in Dredd's role. I'd love to see Rico come back centre stage and pick up the mantle, as it were. Or it could be somebody completely different.

And let's not forget - this is Mega City One. It's sci-fi. A whole lotta ker-ray-zee stuff could happen, and it wouldn't really be out of place. Why not just put Dredd's brain in a prosthetic Dredd body? Or conjure up some similar sci-fi hocus pocus?

For my money, Dredd is just too good a character to be allowed to die. Even at the ripe old age of 32, I'd happily buy new Dredd material for another 20 years.  :-*
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Peter Wolf

I could go for the brain in a cybernetic body scenario as well as its not an unrealistic one either.Then JD would actually become Robocop.

Its a bit fanciful but in a way it is a logical progression.

Another logical progression is JD becoming Chief Judge.That has to be THE logical progression as he is becoming aware of his advancing years and its a far better option than walking away from the city and its Justice Dept which as an institution he has devoted his entire life to.I would say that he has at least another 10 years to go yet on the streeets which would allow the writer to explore and build and develop new characters who would ultimately replace him when he does retire.

Perhaps he could recruit and train upcoming new Judges that show exceptional promise rather like special forces do.Just a thought.

Killing him suddenly while not being unrealistic if it was while on duty could have an adverse effect on the comics readership [other than the hardcore readership who will stick with it no matter what] and if there is a film in the works and assuming the film sees the light of day then there couldnt be a worse time to kill him off.

Its a difficult one because of the real-time aspect which means unless there is some artificial way of prolonging life indefinately which there already is in Dreddworld to allow a Marvel-like character that never dies there has to be some kind of continuation of Dreddworld involving other characters and writers who can come up with characters as strong as Dredd or the strip will die.

There is the other option of backtracking and exploring past events of course.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

HdE

I guess if Dredd was to become Chief Judge, that would jibe with the angle that he faces up to his responsibilities and has such unswerving respect for the law.

Then of course, what's to say Joe Dredd couldn't live to be a hundred plus years old? It wouldn't seem out of place.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Steven Sterlacchini

Quote from: radiator on 22 July, 2009, 05:03:52 PM
Cool avatar, el lopo!

Cheers!

Check out my signature for a costume group I'm in.

Sorry for going off topic.

Trout

Dredd should be exposed as corrupt and evil, then executed by a court formed by the outraged citizens of Mega-City One.

Everything you know is a lie.

- Trout

Woolly

I always thaought that a fitting exit for Dredd would be either a stroke or a heart attack whilst getting his regulation 10 in a sleep machine.
Theres something about the idea of Joe being finished off by a perp that doesnt sit right with me, whereas a natural causes death would add weight to his (mostly hidden) humanity.

Not that i ever want to see Dredd die, of course!  :'(

TordelBack

QuoteTheres something about the idea of Joe being finished off by a perp that doesnt sit right with me, whereas a natural causes death would add weight to his (mostly hidden) humanity

Excellent point, .Woolly.  Something like Batman's heart attack in The Dark Knight (comic), only [spoiler]not faked[/spoiler], would be class - possibly while fighting Judge Death, if a more comicsy end was required.  "Curssess!  Dredd hass esscaped Jusstice!"

uncle fester

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 July, 2009, 12:59:22 PM
Excellent point, .Woolly.  Something like Batman's heart attack in The Dark Knight (comic), only [spoiler]not faked[/spoiler], would be class - possibly while fighting Judge Death, if a more comicsy end was required.  "Curssess!  Dredd hass esscaped Jusstice!"

Hey that wouldn't be the worst sign-off... But I'd want a final end to Death somewhere in the same storyline, I think. It wouldn't be the same if Death carried on (even if Anderson was still about)

mygrimmbrother

If Dredd does go out I don't think Death should be involved - for me it would devalue the gritty realism that Wagner has built up since The Pit, the whole police procedural thing. I'm more in the 'shot in the back by some no-mark perp' camp. Dredd slips up, is not on top form, and one silly little mistake gives the perp the opportunity. Bang, done.

Although Peterwolf has a point - killing him off now while there's a potential new movie in the works would be commercial suicide for Rebellion.

Steven Sterlacchini

I quite like the heart attack idea as well.

Godfather style.

Van Dom

I'd love to see Dredd retire and then go and live in Fargoville with his relatives. He could become "Sheriff Dredd" out there instead. There'd hardly be enough story potential there to keep that as an ongoing tale but it would be nice to think of him living out the last years of his life in this way, still upholding the law, though on a smaller scale. He'd be like he was in The Dead Man, the long trenchcoat and cowboy hat, with his badge instead of a sheriff's shield. I think it would be cool and the story could then come and go in the prog, like Strontium Dog, or Sinister Dexter, or any of the others. I mean, does Dredd the story HAVE to be in every single prog??? If it appeared like Strontium Dog does, would that be a problem? Not for me personally anyway. We could still have Mega City One in the prog every week, as there are more than enough supporting characters to carry a regular Mega-City One visit. And then when the next "Judge Dredd" story did appear it would be an event, like when we get a new installment of "Kingdom" or "Stickleback" or whatever other story tickles your fancy...

Either way I dont see the need to be killing Dredd off for at least another ten years. And I think the cancer will be a good way of killing him off when the time eventually comes.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!