Main Menu

Prog 1649: Hail To The Chief

Started by Trout, 15 August, 2009, 08:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

QuoteChief Judges Silver, McGruder, Volt and Hershey all fairly moderate, all willing to consider and enact reform.

I wouldn't say that. Silver clamped down on democracy and sabotaged the Democratic March. McGruder abolished the Council of Five and ruled by diktat.

Trout

Something that struck me on the second read was Francisco called the new mutant housing "modern".

I wonder how much truth there will be in that. Will there be enough injustice for Dredd to take a stand against his own city?

- Trout

locustsofdeath!

That's the problem I've been having, Trout...Dredd going against the Chief Judge no matter how much he disagrees on policies doesn't seem likely. Perhaps the speculation of Francisco being a puppet isn't so far off...this will be good!

Trout

I just keep coming back to how earth-shattering it is that Dredd has been effectively kicked out of Mega-City One.

What happens to a city that rejects Judge Dredd? What happens to Judge Dredd?

Fucking hell. I'm getting all worked up again...

Batman's Superior Cousin

What the freck is Happening in Defoe & The Red Seas?
Answers please!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

planetoid

QuoteI just keep coming back to how earth-shattering it is that Dredd has been effectively kicked out of Mega-City One.

Shouldn't that have been in spoilers? Never mind.  :D

Dredd remains a Judge so he can still uphold the law in the mutant settlement. He hasn't been stripped of his Judge status. And Dredd needed a vacation. He'll enjoy a change of scene.  ;)

QuoteSilver clamped down on democracy and sabotaged the Democratic March. McGruder abolished the Council of Five and ruled by diktat.

Yes, I guess my memory banks are a bit fuzzy. The Democracy storyline was a classic example of Justice Dept's harsh rule. Justice Dept has never been that moderate but Hershey has been a little more willing to consider change. There's always been a tiny bit of elected democracy in MC-1. Remember Dave the mayor? I loved his bananas.  :)

Trout

I think anyone who's gotten this far in the thread only has themselves to blame if the story's spoiled for them!  ;D

Mardroid

Quick overview.

Cover- Lovely cityscape (although Dredd's helmet looks a bit odd to me.)

Droid-Life:  Whoo, mixed art styles. I like the top picture although the overall gag... meh.

Dredd: Nice little one shot. If it can be counted as that as it's essentially an introduction to the Mega-epic. Interesting to see one or two predicitions in the Mega epic thread are coming true (at least as far as Dredd's new role and the mutants are concerned.)  One thing... the lawyer droid. Amusing but aren't lawyers redundant in this future? And the aging thing seems to be something new. For the really bad crimes I assume... I have mixed feelings ont he artwork. Overall, not too keen (sorry) but some of the close up panels look good.

The Red Seas:  Ok. Nice enough end.

Terror Tale: Poison. -  Ok. I'm not sure of the twist though as it seemed established early on that they were hoping to benefit. The horror later on did provide a bit of misdirection though, so coming back to that still worked. Oh and naked ladies.

Sinister Dexter: I've liked this arc, and this last installment is no exception, except it seemed to be rather dragged out. The twist at the end (which I did guess, but it's still ok) was good but there just wasn't much material. The young lady herself admits to rambling!

Defoe: Nice fitting end. I think I need to do a bit of research on the man at the end to get the full implications. I've heard the name and the tone engendered by it but little of the man himself.

Overall, this prog wasn't as good for me as it's been in previous weeks, but we're only talking comparatively here. I.e. it was still a decent read.

Darren Stephens

I've yet to read the prog fully (including dredd...ive avoided the rest of this thread so far just in case of spoilerific events!) but....that cover. Whattacorker!  :-*
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

The Enigmatic Dr X

Could ther be a post-Tour of Duty segue (is that the right word - I'm a bottle of wine to the good) into another epic, like from The Cursed Earth into The Day the Law Died. After all, the only way back that I can see is if there is a Dire Threat to the city.

If it could just be the return of the Starborn Thing then all my geeky Christmasses would come at once.
Lock up your spoons!

James Stacey

Quote from: planetoid on 15 August, 2009, 02:39:30 PM
QuoteHa, Maybe Dredd will lead a mutant rebellion.

Dangerous territory for Dredd. I'm sure a large section of Justice Dept dislike mutants. If he leads a rebellion this could split Justice Dept down the middle. Civil war.
I just really can't see this happening. Like LOD says it would need something to change fairly majorly in Fansiscos policy for Dredd to do this. It's currently a matter of opinion who is right and who is wrong. Dredd would never start something as damaging as a civil war on the basis of opinion, even if that opinion is a matter of principle. The law is the law and is currently being upheld. Couple of point struck me in reading this weeks story. [spoiler]Why Beeny? Dredd thinks she is unsuitable, Sinfield doesn't disagree, but still.[/spoiler] [spoiler]Why does Sinfield refuse to be drawn on the expulsion of mutants from the Big Meg. He's known as hard line anti mutant. Is it just because it's Dredd in front of him he avoids the question. He doesn't strike me as the sort to pass up a chance to rub in the fact his side won.[/spoiler] [spoiler]What will happen with the Megazine in the next few issues. Will we have Hersheys side of the story in the place of Dredd strip?[/spoiler] Also interesting to note that Dredd shows a level of disrespect for Fransisco. There is no hint of remorse this time.
As for the rest of the prog, I read it along with this months meg and .. titty extravaganza or what. Nothing wrong with the occasional mammary flash but every strip I read this morning seemed to over revealing. Other than that there were stories finishing and stuff but it was all about Dredd.

planetoid

Quote"Dangerous territory for Dredd. I'm sure a large section of Justice Dept dislike mutants. If he leads a rebellion this could split Justice Dept down the middle. Civil war."

I just really can't see this happening. Like LOD says it would need something to change fairly majorly in Fansiscos policy for Dredd to do this. It's currently a matter of opinion who is right and who is wrong. Dredd would never start something as damaging as a civil war on the basis of opinion, even if that opinion is a matter of principle. The law is the law and is currently being upheld.

Some degree of war is inevitable. Dredd is against Francisco's policy and many Judges believe Dredd sold out to the mutants. Francisco isn't going to change his policies so something has to give. I'd take a guess Tour of Duty will be mutants vs Judges - with Dredd using the mutant cause as the means to remove Francisco from power. It's possible the story will echo the Judge Cal saga - a powerful Chief Judge refusing to yield and Dredd leading a resistance group. Dredd helped Fergee, an undercity dweller, he was more or less a mutant, so you see how we've sort of come full circle with the very real possibility of Dredd helping mutants. I'm sure Dredd's got a lawgiver bullet with Francisco's name on it. Francisco better watch his back! ;)

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Toni Scandella

See, I'm certain that Dredd does not care one jot about Fransisco - he has shown in this episode alone that he has not respect at all for the man, and doubts that Fransisco has even had _any_ say at all in sending Dredd to the new settlement.  I don't think Fransisco has any say at all in anything that happens - but I do get the feeling he might not be quite the patsy the people who have put him there think he is going to be...

Dredd also seems to be incredibly dismissive of everything said to him - in direct contrast with Hershey, who is disapointingly unsure of herelf and polite.  Dredd's just resolute: His short dismissive answers to everything said to him come across very clearly as 'Drokk you, you're a knob.' - he's not even _trying_ to be diplomatic, and he's not bothering to even discuss anything - given that the only reason MC1 still exists is Dredd (Sov invasion, Cal, Necroplolis, etc, etc, etc, etc) and the fact he's always right, any administration wanting shut of him is obviously doomed...

This is fantastic stuff :D

Trout

Dredd lied about Beeny, I think. He was trying to save her from exile with him. He apparently didn't manage it.