Main Menu

mystery sci-fi comic late eighties/ early nineties i think

Started by Zarjazzer, 18 August, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

I am (fairly) sure that there was an attempted rival to 2000AD. An anthology sci -fi (not Toxic or Overkill or Starjammers) that had as it's lead story a group of space mercenaries (who only appear in the last panel) and who had whackily designed power armour. I've scoured various web sites but to no avail. I think it only lasted one issue. And this strip was painted rather than b&w with colour I seem to recall.

Was it all a dream?  If so I'm nabbing the characters and all rights thereof.

A bit of a long shot I know given my "vague" descriptions.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Rio De Fideldo

Wildcat?

Only 12 issues of Wildcat were published, starting on October 22nd 1988, it ran fortnightly until it merged with Eagle on April 12th 1989.Although you could say their was 13 issues with this Wildcat Preview that came free with 2000AD. Eagle,Buster,Whizzer and Chips, Oink,Roy of the Rovers, and Mask comics.

Also published - Holiday special 1989, Winter special 1989,Turbo Jones - Pathfinder trade paperback (reprints Turbo Jones strips) Loner 1-7 (mini-series reprinting Loner stories)United Kingdom Comic Art Convention (UKCAC) programme for 1989 as it features a Loner picture by David Pugh,Wildcat was on the Mask of New Eagle 08/04/89 to 21/04/90 (a total of 55 issues)

Turbo Jones predicted that a meteroid storm would destroy all life on Earth by radiation, so he set about building a spaceship called 'Wildcat'.

With his crew he went off to explore other planets,The stories were all about the members of the crew 'Turbo Jones' 'Joe Alien' 'Kitten Magee' and 'Loner' all separate stories exploring the same planet.

Zarjazzer

Quote from: Richard Field on 18 August, 2009, 09:55:16 PM
Wildcats?

Nope. At least I think it's nope.And it was British format not the US one I just "remembered".

Maybe it's one of those  false memory malarkeys like in Total Recall.

Cheers though.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Grant Goggans

You know, I wondered where Turbo Jones and Loner came from, having seen those reprint editions.

It's not like I lost sleep over them the way I do wondering whether The Fear That Made Milwaukee Famous will be in this new Case Files 0 book, but I have wondered...

maryanddavid

Dragons Claw by any chance? It was a team book,they had armour, by Furman and Seniorand published by marvel UK.
Not read it in years, but I remember buying it and thinking it would fit into 2000ad nicely.
Must dig it out and have a re-read.

David

Van Dom

Meltdown? Havoc? Both were Marvel UK anthology comics like Overkill but I think they mainly reprinted American stuff...
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Van Dom

Update to that - couldnt have been Havoc as that was just Ghost rider, Deathlok and Conan reprints. But possibly Meltdown?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marvel-comic-Meltdown-issue-1_W0QQitemZ280384957457QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Books_Comics_Magazines_Comic_Magazines_ET?hash=item41483eec11&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The Light and Darkness War could possibly be the story you are thinking of...

Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Bolt-01

Could it be the Freefall warriors strip that appeared in the Captain Britain Monthly? It is about the right time, and IIRC the actual team didn't even get named till the end of the strip.

Zarjazzer

Thanks fellas. I'm fairly certain it's not any of these. Still, what a grand trip down memory lane! "Meltdown!" that had the Light and Darkness War by Cam Kennedy and was great stuff. :)

I'll also have a look at the british Wildcats. May be it was all just some huge hallucination.

Thanks again. 8)

Zarjazzer

Alas again no but my goodness thanks for that link maryanddavid it's fantastic stuff.

I don't remember Loose cannons at all seems I missed out.

In my weird memory of this mystery comic that is definitely the painted "style" I "remember".

johnfreeman

Loose Cannons never got published - it was a high profile victim of Marvel UK's demise.

Zarjazzer

Quote from: johnfreeman on 20 August, 2009, 06:23:04 PM
Loose Cannons never got published - it was a high profile victim of Marvel UK's demise.

A-ha! He says in a Alan Partridge style manner that's why I didn't recall it. I always liked Marvel UK's stuff. Deaths Head 2  was a particular favourite.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Poor Mark Harrison. You'd think the publishing of such an excellent piece of work would be straight forward but no. Thank you maryanddavid for putting up the link to what should have been a killer series.  
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Zarjazzer

Finally I think we have a suspect. My memory is obviously faultier than  a bankers morale compass! Not painted and done by er, Marvel in 1983... :o

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=walter+simonson+starslammers&FORM=BIFD#focal=e90fa1ef92e927209c98c234c7e196ea&furl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thecomicshop.com.au%2Fcovers%2Fgn%2Fn-s%2Fgn-starslammers.jpg

It is Starslammers by Walt Simonson. Drugged up colours maaahhhnnn! Thanks to all those who chipped in.

And have gander at the link from maryanddavid to the supreme Mark Harrisons "Loose cannons." Incredible stuff.