Main Menu

Tesco vs Jedi shocker!

Started by Kerrin, 19 September, 2009, 02:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 September, 2009, 07:59:23 PM
However, the existence of the Force is a tangible thing (it can lift spaceships out of swamps, for one thing), not an article of faith.  'Belief' in the Force is irrelevant in a universe where it demonstrably exists.

I find your lack of faith (though irrelevant in a universe where the Force demonstrably exists) disturbing.
STRIKE !!!

Mike Gloady

Oh, I put "Catholic Atheist" on my census form.  Because I was raised a Catholic and it's warped my perception permenently, both good and bad.  That I'm actually an Atheist and don't believe ANY of it is beside the point.  I reserve the right to be grumpy and mysterious and fantasise about latex nuns while shaking my head as I pass church on a Sunday.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Professor Bear

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 19 September, 2009, 09:09:15 PM
I'm all for keeping your culture alive and, unlike the Irish and Scots, the Welsh managed to hang onto their language.

The Irish have not only managed to hang onto their language to the point that getting lost in certain parts of Kerry and asking for directions in English will get you nowhere, but here in The North we've taken things a step further and made up a language steeped in culture and tradition just so we don't feel left out.

Mgubgub

Please everyone I'm trying to defuse a Tactical nuclear device and need reminders I rely upon contained in this Forum. It is of no help whatsoever when I need to perform a sequence of operations and like a Kaleidoscope change them frequently to make progress. Peeing my pants keeps making this difficult and as for the Tesco Vs Jedi debacle I suggest the Jedi either rise above it or burn banners of the Tesco logo while chanting and pointlessly waving his arms in the air. In the meantime I suggest boarders be content with themselves and their lot. We are free to either buy or not buy our preffered reading material without any fear of what may happen to us Wait a minute that isn't my watch ticking......
Trooper Duvet 445

Satanist

Only now do you understand the true power of Tesco!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

House of Usher

It was in Sommerfield that they had a go at me with their religious intolerance. It was absolutely pouring with rain and at that time I had a black duffelcoat with a hood that wouldn't stay up when it was windy, so I would wear it with a beany hat on underneath. I strolled into Sommerfield with my other half and before I was over the threshold there was a security guard asking me to take my hood off.

What a stupid prick. I can only do one thing at a time. My very next move would have been to take my hood down, then take the hat off and unbutton my coat. Why would I have walked around Sommerfield with a hat on and my hood up with my head bloody well baking under two layers of insulation? "Of course I'm taking my hood off. I've just come in out of the pouring rain." I bloody hate jobsworths telling me to do the thing I'm just about to do anyway.
STRIKE !!!

Robin Low

Quote from: Bouwel on 19 September, 2009, 04:29:11 PM
From the article:

Quote..Tesco store in Bangor

That speaks volumes. I'm from North Wales and went to Bangor to recruit for our new store. What an odd place. Very insular, agressive and in your face people. Had a couple of people demand that I conduct the interview in Welsh and got very annoyed when I said that we wouldn't.

I lived there for six years, four as a student, two blissfully unemployed, and I can't say I had that experience. I knew someone who had some trouble with locals one Friday night, but students experience that in most places. I go back there every year and have half a dozen English friends who've settled there, work with the locals, don't speak Welsh, and haven't had any problems.

QuoteThe local council also demanded that we change the wording of our store title into Welsh. This is the only place in the whole UK where we've had this request.

I thought it was standard across Wales to have bi-lingual signs, or was the council asking for exclusively Welsh?

Regards

Robin

TordelBack

QuoteI strolled into Sommerfield with my other half and before I was over the threshold there was a security guard asking me to take my hood off.

Cripes, is it really that bad in Britain?  I understand the impulse to prevent gangs of anonymous hooded yoof rampaging through the temples of consumption, but an over-the-hill goth and his lady popping in for some lentils and a copy of the TLS?  (Not that you couldn't still misbehave, HoU, but  they don't know you like we do!)

Over here, motorbike couriers still come into our building with their helmets on! 

I know that bored scobies have made the beloved hoody a thing of suspicion even here, but I think I would find that level of harassment deeply irritating.

Dandontdare

The Legendary Shark

I wonder if you could copyright/trademark your own face so that Tescos and all the rest of them would be forced to pay you royalties for recording your likeness on camera?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mgubgub

Re the copyright of one's face wouldn't some people having either pretty or ugly features become more popular than some? If that is so then we could be creating a new format of entertainment. Imagine it "This Friday night we will be shooting a film with A-list shoppers" surely things would escalate and because of not wanting to spoil the thread..."Coming soon Tesco Apocalypse starring Joe and Joanne Blogs, with real time shopping". I doubt this would happen but if it did there would be a group called "SWET" or to their followers Shops will eat themselves. Of course this is silly but I'd like to try and pass it on to Dragons Den.
Trooper Duvet 445

Robin Low

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 September, 2009, 12:02:03 PM
QuoteI strolled into Sommerfield with my other half and before I was over the threshold there was a security guard asking me to take my hood off.

Cripes, is it really that bad in Britain?

I imagine it varies from store to store, individual guard to individual guard. Our hospital has a no smoking policy anywhere on hospital grounds, but security won't enforce it.

A lot of people like to pretend we're something of a Big Brother Nanny Police State, but in reality it's amazing how much anti-social behaviour is tolerated, ignored and even accepted as reasonable. The over-the-top responses to minor examples are the ones that get reported, of course.

Regards

Robin

House of Usher

Quote from: Robin Low on 20 September, 2009, 01:29:14 PM
The over-the-top responses to minor examples are the ones that get reported, of course

Whenever I am reminded of the incident I get a mental picture of the same security guard harassing septuagenarian grannies with wheelie shopping bags to take off their little plastic rain hoods so the CCTV cameras can see their faces properly in case they nick anything.

And Tordelback - you cheeky sod!
STRIKE !!!

Roger Godpleton

This is why I am over Star Wars forever.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

mogzilla

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 September, 2009, 12:02:03 PM

Cripes, is it really that bad in Britain?  I understand the impulse to prevent gangs of anonymous hooded yoof rampaging through the temples of consumption, but an over-the-hill goth and his lady popping in for some lentils and a copy of the TLS?  (Not that you couldn't still misbehave, HoU, but  they don't know you like we do!)

Over here, motorbike couriers still come into our building with their helmets on! 

I know that bored scobies have made the beloved hoody a thing of suspicion even here, but I think I would find that level of harassment deeply irritating.

course it is im in my late thirties slightly over weight and receeding i went into waterstones in prston one day after work when it was cold wet and windy.i had my baseball cap on. i was followed round the entire store by the security without so much as a word from him.tosser.