Main Menu

Meg 291 - Hang 'em high

Started by Batman's Superior Cousin, 05 November, 2009, 05:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote...but that panel with the Sov-Droid comforting it's rescuer - really nicely done.

Absolutely, bloody lovely that, and overall a really great 'new' style for PJ.  It's nice to see someone doing something with a classic Ezquerra design that's both faithful and fresh.

I really enjoyed this month's Meg, cover to cover.  Everyone seemed on top form in both script and art departments.  Particular shout-out for Bato Loco, which has finally found its feet for me, after being only of mild curiosity on its previous outings.  It doesn't quite tick all the 'why this is set in MC-1' boxes I insist on, but not at all in the Steam Tank Hillbillies/Welded to Giant Scorpions way, and it's very welcome to return for a longer run.

A Bob Byrne strip will always be a treat for me, and the return of Mr. Amperduke even more so.

And Canon Fodder 2.  Well, well, well.  This was unexpectedly brilliant!  Great art and design, a fun character and a cleverly silly story.  Hats off to Kek-W for taking the loopy threads of  the first series and running with them, this was actually much more satisfying.  Why wasn't there ever more of this? 

Mike Gloady

I'm going to read the Cannon Fodder floppy tonight - both of them (I have the first floppy but it's unread, once I heard the second volume would be given the floppy treatment I decided to save it up for a mammoth re-read, the art looks as good as ever, but the story remains to be seen.  I remember i didn't care that much for it at the time).

This is the best Meg since the TG-less one a few months back.  In some way's it's BETTER (and that's with me not reading TG).  Very enjoyable.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

The Monarch

QuoteWhy wasn't there ever more of this? 

Mark millar....

mygrimmbrother

Yep, actually thoroughly enjoyed Canon Fodder.

Bolt-01

I prefer the second series to the first. Chris Weston's work is sublime on both, but the story seems more focussed in the second volume.

TordelBack

QuoteChris Weston's work is sublime on both, but the story seems more focussed in the second volume.

S'right.  It's helped by the fact that it's actually a pretty good story, for all its utter daftness, and the Canon (misspelled Cannon throughout the first episode -tcch-, wouldn't happen in a House of Bolt/RAC product I'd wager....) himself is an amusing enough PoV in this one.  I couldn't help reading this through a Father Ted filter, especially the bit where he avoids annihilation[spoiler] by Dark Matter Demons because he's judging a Lovely Girls contest[/spoiler] - I suspect this helped rather than hindered the enjoyment factor.  Anyway, I demand more - I want to know if [spoiler]he patched things up with his Dad, and revealed his true feelings to Mrs Doyle Sadie[/spoiler].

Richmond Clements

Quotewouldn't happen in a House of Bolt/RAC product I'd wager....

Darn tootin' it wouldn't!

I, Cosh

See Batson, nobody gives a shit if you post the Meg cover early.
We never really die.

HOO-HAA

Is Tank Girl universally hated by 2000AD readers!?

I think I remember her getting a bit of flack, on here... and then after reading one of the letters to Tharg...

Personally, I love the bi-atch!  ;D

Mike Gloady

Not universally, but there are a lot of us who just don't get it.  WHich is maybe fine if it's a series that's going to be around for 3-4 episodes.  But when it's seemingly in a long-term residency it starts to irk some of us. 

Personally it's well-drawn, but hating the character from the very start, it's something I skip right past (wishing the creators were doing something less likely to hit all my "annoy" buttons). 

The length of a long-term story you dislike in the meg hurts more than in the prog where, even if it's 12 episodes, it's gone in three months rather than a year.  THere's also the price to be considered. 

COMMANDO FORCES

I wonder how many new readers it managed to bring across from the Tank Girl readership into the folds of the Meg.

Mike Gloady

It's so rooted in the early 90s "scene" that I doubt there's a massive audience for it (or presumably it'd be hosting it's own comic?).  Could be wrong.  I dare say there are a fair few, but whether they'd stay once TG (hopefully) takes "a well-earned break" (Thargspeak for "will never be seen again") is a different matter.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 13 November, 2009, 08:44:49 PM
I wonder how many new readers it managed to bring across from the Tank Girl readership into the folds of the Meg.

Interesting how the Meg keeps plugging Tank Girl in...almost as if it's being included to spite us. It really feels that way. Yet I keep shelling out my fiver to NOT read 6 pages of Tank Girl and 4 pages of movie reviews  :o.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Must admit I was completly blown away by Chris Weston's art on Cannon Fodder. Amazing stuff a sort of combination of Glenn Fabry and Brian Bolland. The panels with the airship coming through a building was gobsmacking.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

radiator

Only had a flick through so far, but going on art alone this is the best issue of the Meg for a long time. Everything looks great, from Goddard on Dredd, PJ's new style, Andrew Currie's wonderfully expressive work on Bato Loco, to Rufus' gorgeous opening page of Tank Girl.

And that upcoming Ezquerra cover....