Main Menu

Nemesis Book 10

Started by Colin YNWA, 16 November, 2009, 11:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Leigh Shepherd on 10 February, 2010, 09:14:12 PM
There was the build up to "Hammer of the Warlocks" for example, that ran in progs 901-903(?).  That seemed to me just like the "horned God" recap, and then went precisely nowhere, with no follow up story, despite the promise of the "Hammer of witches/warlock" as the next book.  I dont think TPO goes into the reasons for this?

Actually it does - apparently it was down to the artwork. According to TOP the three-parter was intended as a sort of tester, for, as you say, a Horned God-style epic, but reader reaction to Clint's stuff was poor. 'Fair enough,' said Pat and Clint, 'it <i>was</i> a bit weird. Best leave it there then.'
@jamesfeistdraws

davidbishop

No worries folks, wasn't trying to play the big man, just dredging up some memories of all the effort Kev put into the Nemesis finale. Certainly wasn't taking a pop at you, Mr Gloady - sorry if it came across that way!

davidbishop

Mike Gloady

Don't worry, it only came off as "I may have been a little too mouthy on the internet.  AGAIN"  - all my fault, none of yours.  Those memories you dredged up were very welcome, by the way.

I think we can all take a little time to work out that what we're saying here is (half the time) about real people (the ones who aren't mutant bounty hunters or alien avengers I mean).  I reckon if Mr O'Neil were to read my posts here, he'd have a false impression of how much I admire his work.  That would be a shame. 

Right, time for a plug.  When does that Doctors episode air?
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Grant Goggans

The impression I got - and this is just speculation - is that Pat originally intended for a 20/30-episode storyline, to be painted by Langley, in 1993-94, and the three-part "Hammer of Warlocks" short story was all that came of it.  You'll note that, like the early episodes of "The Horned God," it recaps what had come before, for the benefit of potential European readers who'd be meeting the character for the first time, just as "The Horned God" brought Slaine to a whole new audience in France and Belgium.

Mike Gloady

Pity we didn't get it.  While I prefer his pen and ink or digital stuff to his painted work, that little short series was beautiful.

davidbishop

Apologies for going off-topic, but Mike Gloady goaded me...

My Doctors ep was on yesterday. You can still watch it on iPlayer until next Wednesday if you live in the UK by visiting this URL:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00qr3qv/Doctors_Series_11_A_Pill_for_Every_Ill/

It's got teenage lesbian experimentation, if that's any inducement...

davidbishop

Richmond Clements

QuoteIt's got teenage lesbian experimentation, if that's any inducement...

The man knows his market, you have to give him that...

Jared Katooie

Mike Gloady

Dave, that's my early evening sorted.  I don't catch Doctors as often as I would like, but having your name on the episode AND being tagged with teenage lesbian experimentation?  No brainer.

Just as well in my case. 

*No mum, it's fine.  Don't come in.*

Strontium Jimmy

I found Nemisis Book X quite disappointing. It had a very perfunctory and lifeless 'let's get this over and done with' vibe to it. It's understandable after the big gap between it and previous Nemisis stories but when read as part of the complete saga it really doesn't flow on from what went before. I didn't even like Flint's art on it, I found it a little flat and cluttered, and O'Neil's artwork in the final episode wasn't crash hot either. I too would have liked to have seen the epic mid nineties conclusion to saga with art by Langley as I did like his work on The Hammer of Warlocks and it seems like it would have at least had some life to it and flowed on from what had come before. Oh well, at least we did get a conclusion to the story.