Main Menu

Harry 20 (years later) on the High Rock?

Started by Tweak72, 26 November, 2009, 08:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweak72

Who would you think could pull it off writing wise?
Who would you think could pull it off art wise?
Do you think it should be done?

+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Mike Gloady

I know I'll be shouted at, but I think it's one of the worst series in Twoth's history (that wasn't written by M Fliesher or starred Tao De Moto).
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 26 November, 2009, 08:48:14 PM
I know I'll be shouted at, but I think it's one of the worst series in Twoth's history

WHAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT?!?!
@jamesfeistdraws

Trout

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 26 November, 2009, 08:48:14 PM
I know I'll be shouted at, but I think it's one of the worst series in Twoth's history (that wasn't written by M Fliesher or starred Tao De Moto).

Don't be stupid. Or, if you must, please try to do it more quietly. It's a damned fine strip. Yes, there are a lot of prison break cliches in there, but it's a great adventure story, full of twists and turns, and the Alan Davis art is bloody fantastic.

Shame on you, Gloady! ;D

- Trout

golledge100

Maybe it was the time and age in which i read it but I really enjoyed it. I'd never even heard of "the prisoner" at the time. I don't know how a sequel would work but a "reimaging" would be interesting. Maybe its to do with the fact that its "old skool" but I can't see anyone else but Henry Flint doing art duties. Writing duties going to Al Ewing would make it a no brainer in my eyes!

Pete Wells

I think Mr PJ Holden could do a good job...

Mike Gloady

Under those circumstances it'd deserve a look at least.

But I stand by my judgement on H20otHR.  I loathed it.  

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: King Trout on 26 November, 2009, 08:54:16 PM
Yes, there are a lot of prison break cliches in there, but it's a great adventure story, full of twists and turns

I have to say, the reversal when they get to Earth -- the double whammy of Ben 90, and then Ghengis -- is a damn fine bit of writing. To actually let Harry get what he wants, and to then bring him so low is classic storytelling.

Even at the tender age of 13, I could see that Alan Davis was going to be a star.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Have to be honest not a big fan at all. Ok it looks good but just not for me. That said I feel that way about most stuff by Gerry Finley-Day.

PJ's picture is great for all that.

Mike Gloady

GFD had many great ideas.  VCs, Rogue, probably a few more I can't remember. 

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 26 November, 2009, 09:06:08 PM
That said I feel that way about most stuff by Gerry Finley-Day.

Strangely, even at the age of 13, I thought Harry 20 felt different to GFD's other stuff. It was only many, many years later I found out that Alan Grant was paid to extensively re-write it ...

Cheers

Jim

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mike Gloady

REALLY?

Wow.  Just.... wow. 

Hang on, having typed that I seem to remember that mentioned in TPO, or am I just barking?

On the subject of rewrites, I always found it ironic that Pat Mills, the chief of the "rewrite-is-artistic-bum-rape" camp, rewrote so many things in Twoth's early days. 

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Trout

I rewrite the work of reporters every night without fail and, if they have a problem with it, they can just shut the fuck up.

Pat Mills himself has used newspapers as an example of why it's perfectly acceptable to change submissions and I simply do not understand why 2000AD's editorial staff don't do more work on Pat's scripts, or at least his dialogue. Maybe the work does take place and we just can't tell.

If you pay for someone to build a fence and it's the wrong colour, then you are entitled to repaint it.

- Trout

worldshown

I may have imagined it, but didn't Tony Lee once say that he considered having Harry 20 as Raider in Stalag 666?

Incidentally, I enjoyed Harry 20 when it was first in the comic but I felt it had become quite corny by the time it was reprinted in the Meg, especially all the joke names like Swede 16 and Root 66.