Main Menu

Eggheads

Started by pauljholden, 06 January, 2010, 07:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Wolf

Quote from: bluemeanie on 11 January, 2010, 07:51:53 PM
Just promise us that if any of them do the "Well... arent you all a bit old for comics?" or some such condesending shit you'll go and smack them in the mouth?

Good luck though, cant wait to see it.

That should be pre-empted with "Are you feeling lucky Punk ?" or "Go on Punk - make my day...."
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Peter Wolf

Just promise us that if any of them do the "Well... arent you all a bit old for comics?" or some such condesending shit you'll go and smack them in the mouth?

That should be pre-empted with "Are you feeling lucky Punk ?" or "Go on Punk - make my day...."

bluemeanie

Or "Does this take you back to your schooldays, you swotty c**t?"   :lol:

pauljholden

You know, I've never really found a good, pithy answer to that beyond: "well, I work in 'em" - but that's not something everyone can say. Any suggestions?

-pj

Emperor

Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 January, 2010, 07:53:17 PMAnother block war cover by Bolland may work

That looks ideal, you can then have an egghead and challenger block either side of Judge Vine with no need to settle on any 5 person line-up (you could even added in all of the teams as tiny heads - perhaps with someone taking a nightstick to CJ Banofee). Perhaps throw in Judge Vine saying "Don't make me crack some heads together" (crack, egg, head? No? OK  :-[ )
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Emperor

Quote from: Emperor on 11 January, 2010, 08:22:19 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 January, 2010, 07:53:17 PMAnother block war cover by Bolland may work

That looks ideal, you can then have an egghead and challenger block either side of Judge Vine

Just for clarity I was agree on the cover of prog 182, although possibly with a slight change of angle to make the two blocks more balanced on either side of him, as you'd have in the studio.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

pauljholden

I have the art sorted, ta - time was a factor (as it had to integrate caricatures by two other artists)

-pj

bluemeanie

Quote from: pauljholden on 11 January, 2010, 08:21:38 PM
You know, I've never really found a good, pithy answer to that beyond: "well, I work in 'em" - but that's not something everyone can say. Any suggestions?

-pj

I had someone in work ask me that last week when my hardback of Kravens Last Hunt turned up in the post. I replied with "Arent you a little short to be risking me punch you like that?"

not overly witty I agree.

But yeah, there isnt a short, clever answer Im aware of. Theres the whole "Well you read books, it aint all See Spot Run is it? You watch TV, you saying The Wire is like Tellytubbies" argument on how its a medium that can convey stuff for 5 year olds or 45 year olds. And of course the "Well you were swapping football stickers in junior school but still are into football... whats the difference between that and me reading the Beano when I was 6 and The Authority now?"
but short and snappy? Wish I had one

M.I.K.

Quote from: pauljholden on 11 January, 2010, 08:21:38 PM

"No."

Cthulouis

"Get F**ked" works pretty well too.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: bluemeanie on 11 January, 2010, 09:26:51 PM
Wish I had one

Not sure if this is any good as an answer but i would say someting like "Not sure i understand your question/ point ??" as if to imply that its a very stupid question.

"How do you mean too old ??"

So what you are doing is throwing the question back at them which will almost certainly throw a TV presenter because they wont expect it and it will make them look and feel stupid.

:D

Its difficult to think of an answer that is critical of their interests because you dont know what they are.

Mardroid

It's all rather silly when people accuse comic creators of being silly for writing/drawing (and generally being into) comics, isn't it? I mean, even if comics were written soley for kids (and we know that's not true) do they think it's other kids who write them? Do kids make toys? Or right kiddie prose novels for that matter? (Some do, but the majority are adults.)

Associating comics with kids is understandable, if ignorant. That further step is illogical, mocking or will-fully dismissive. Or a bit of all three.

COMMANDO FORCES

If they try to be witty and laugh at the medium just calmly stand up, walk across the studio and lean over to CJ and whisper "I'm gonna knock your fucking block off after this you ex model twat."
Then casually walk back to your seat, sit down and straighten your top ;)

COMMANDO FORCES

Obviously I don't condone violence, heaven forbid but...

Kev Levell

How about:
Quote"Aren't you a bit too prejudiced for polite conversation?"
or:
Quote"You're only as old as you let yourself be."
perhaps:
Quote"Why? Do I contradict your stereotypical and narrow world view too much?"
even:
QuoteYou're just jealous!