Main Menu

Attempts at the sample scripts

Started by Emperor, 19 January, 2010, 08:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

Well you should say that when you post it up, sir!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 08 November, 2013, 02:50:11 PM
2000ad don't want sample scripts sent lettered, as is my understanding, and the credit box and that isn't provided by the artist.

Aye, I can understand aspiring artits wanting to 'finish' their samples, but 2000AD are only interested in your ability to do one thing well - be that art, lettering, colours or scripting. Trying your hand at too many things will just put them off, and why would you want your artistic aspirations hampered by a bad lettering job when it isn't really lettering you want to do anyway?
@jamesfeistdraws

kable1001

Nice try. Some really good drawings and ideas mixed in with some average ones.

Jim_Campbell

There's a lot to like there, but you know what I'm going to say, don't you?

Never letter your art submissions. Especially never letter them in Comic Sans, but never letter them at all. Tharg will never ask you to letter your own work — he wants to assess your story-telling abilities and lettering can be an easy way to cover up bad story-telling.

(Page 2, in particular, lacks any clear reading direction and even the lettering doesn't help that much in guiding the reader's eye through the story. This is something you absolutely have to work out at the layout stage, because there's no fixing it further into the process.)

Also, never letter anything in Comic Sans. The very first hit on Google for "free comic book lettering fonts" is Blambot, who have a really good range of free dialogue and sound effect fonts.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SGHILLUSTRATION

Ok, thanks for the advice - all noted

TordelBack

Good stuff there, and I note that you have the unlettered versions in your gallery too, so no foul.  I do however agree with Jim that the reading order of some of your pages is unclear - page 2 in particular, while pretty gorgeous to look at, is very difficult to read.  Enjoyed the work though, a sharp-looking version.

trev

@sghillustration   fantastic 3d art on your deviant art page !!

trev

...page2...

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.behance.net/denisdenis

trev

trev

pauljholden

Trev, I think you'd benefit from posting these pages up when you feel they're completed, then you'll get a fair shake on the comments. I realise it'd be awesome to get that guidance and help as you draw the pages, but honestly, it's a lot easier for everyone if what you post are either completed inks.

-pj

trev

ok, sorry to bother you...I'll do that..

markofthedead

I had a go at Sorrowhill, here's page one, comments welcome

markofthedead